SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Endless Turbo Preparation
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

So I've been reading a bunch of posts on the site recently about upgrading to lighter weight wheels. The stock B14 wheels each weigh 17 pounds.

The great Mike Kojima says: "Remember that 1 lb on the wheel is worth about 10 on the car due to the wheels rotational Inertia"

So I'm thinking. If that's true, than a 15 inch wheel like the Rota Subzero weighs about 13 pounds. That's a difference of 4 pounds each.

4 pounds off of each stock wheel = 40 pounds "on the car" as Kojima puts it.

So 4 wheels would be equivalent to 160 "on the car" pounds which is like taking a whole bunch of stuff out of your car. Really stripping it down. If someone can covert 160 pounds into HP that'd help out. Kojima also says that a friend knocked .4 seconds of his 1/4 ET just by changing to light weight wheels which equates to roughly around 20WHP increase.

So a pair of Subzero wheels costs about $500, which is about the same or less than the cost of an S4/S3 cam.

I guess my question is: Why is it that people recommend cams all day and other performance boosters but not lightweight wheels??? It provides about the same amount of performance/$$ versus cams and other mods but no one seems to talk about it. Besides performance you also get new wheels that look good!

Discuss...

-G

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You might think this is a dumb answer but... for bragging rights. People think doing mods to your car is "cooler" cuz we driver tuners! but when people do their homework and find out what really works best with what, like a turbo+cams, Then they'll prob see more of a difference in performance there than just weight reduction alone. but if you can combine the two... you're dangerous lol

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
Because more often then not, people would rather add money to go fast parts, than to wheels that would increase your attention on the streets, and therefore may increase the risk of your **** getting jacked. Many people like the OEM look/Sleeper look.

Not saying that this is always the case, but just my observation.

·
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because more often then not, people would rather add money to go fast parts, than to wheels that would increase your attention on the streets, and therefore may increase the risk of your sh*t getting jacked. Many people like the OEM look/Sleeper look.

Not saying that this is always the case, but just my observation.
hmmm, interesting answer. So maybe the key if that's the problem is to get ugly ass lightweight wheels? :D Or maybe wheels that could "look" stock, but are lightweight.

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
hmmm, interesting answer. So maybe the key if that's the problem is to get ugly ass lightweight wheels? :D Or maybe wheels that could "look" stock, but are lightweight.
LOL You make a good point, as well. IDK, maybe it's all in how the owner thinks of his build, as well.

Power is power, regardless. If you have a flat and need to switch back to those heavier wheels on the way to the track, you've done nothing to help keep the power up and the weight down. Therefore, in thinking you were gaining power by buying lightweight wheels, you've failed because you now don't have them on your car.

I just bought 16" wheels with tires, and I think they come out to a little over 22lbs a piece total weight. These are heavy, but I'm not relying on them for every ounce of power possible, for my ride. ;) That's where my cams/turbo/etc. come into play :rofl:

Oh yeah, and stating the obvious here, you don't want some panzy wheels on a turbo car. Most would agree that you'll never have traction.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would be more concerned with the tire on the rim then the rim itself.

I'd take the factory rim with a good tire over a lightweight rim with the adverage bs

plus a cammed car sounds cool

·
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would be more concerned with the tire on the rim then the rim itself.

I'd take the factory rim with a good tire over a lightweight rim with the adverage bs

plus a cammed car sounds cool
I'd assume running good tires would be a given since this is for a turbo car. I'd agree though, that if your tires suck and you get no traction, then benefits of weight reduction in the wheels or cams or turbo wouldn't really matter much. But good tires w/lightweight wheels = 160 pounds 'on the car' weight reduction, which is equivalent to about a 20WHP increase.

LOL You make a good point, as well. IDK, maybe it's all in how the owner thinks of his build, as well.

Power is power, regardless. If you have a flat and need to switch back to those heavier wheels on the way to the track, you've done nothing to help keep the power up and the weight down. Therefore, in thinking you were gaining power by buying lightweight wheels, you've failed because you now don't have them on your car.

I just bought 16" wheels with tires, and I think they come out to a little over 22lbs a piece total weight. These are heavy, but I'm not relying on them for every ounce of power possible, for my ride. ;) That's where my cams/turbo/etc. come into play :rofl:

Oh yeah, and stating the obvious here, you don't want some panzy wheels on a turbo car. Most would agree that you'll never have traction.
I'm not saying rely on the wheels for power, I'm saying lightweight wheels are a great performance mod for the money, yet people don't bring it up very often. In theory, a car w/cams + turbo + stock wheels vs a car with turbo+lightweight wheels would probably run the same 1/4 mile times. Both mods costing around $500.

The reduction in weight from switching to lightweight wheels (a 4 pound difference...you can get lighter or heavier wheels, I'd say this is the average) is 160 pounds 'on the car'. That is equivalent to taking all this off your car:

Passenger seat = 33lbs
Rear seats = 35lbs
Sunroof = 24lbs
A/C = 40lbs
Power Steering = 8lbs
Front & Rear bumper = 15lbs
___

about 155lbs total.

That's a lot of weight reduction. Also, I'm not saying choose between cams or wheels I'm saying that lightweight wheels are a very good option for increased performance. Why not have both cams & lightweight wheels?

-G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts