SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the engine bay of an NX is a bit tight. I would like to know, how much of a pain would it be to fit an FMAX kit into this car? Plus, since air flow to the radiator is a big issue too, what are a couple ways to improve upon that? (Of course I am asking of ways other than cutting holes in the front bumper)

Thanks!

------------------
Rice...yummy in my tummy

G

·
The F-max will fit in the NX. You should use a exhaust housing blanket kit ($75ish from Summit or Jegs) to keep the paint from baking and good for the turbo. Get the Nismo radiator (Nissan #21410-63C00) if you can ($250 wholesale). You will get an 18% increase in cooling and with the 16.8 psi (12.6 factory) cap, cavitation of the water pump will be reduced. Add some Red Line water wetter for aditional cooling (up to 30*) and your doing well. I have done all of those things and am going to add 2 oval cut outs in the front before I install my turbo. Using a Nissan turbo header (#14004-54C00).

After thought. The F-max turbo has the advatage of not putting unwanted heat on your exspensive factory fan motors thus shortening their life span.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
You will have to replace one of the factory fans to get the Turbo to fit properly (might as well get the highest CFM airflow available and replace both). The issue with Nx's are getting airflow to the radiator and condensor through the intercooler. Im still running a DET intercooler mounted in the air dam so I haven't had to do anything drastic to get air to the radiator. I plan on doing the oval holes in the bumper. Cossie, I thought the Nismo radiator gave the NX only an 8% increase??

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could any of you guys display a picture of the ovals cut out on the front bumper?

Also, what are some sources of aftermarket fans that would do the job of both clearing the turbo and providing an increased cooling effect?

Thanks for the long-awaited responses.

------------------
Rice...yummy in my tummy

[This message has been edited by CruznSER (edited 04-29-2001).]

G

·
Nismo radiator lists as 18% cooling improvement for NX in Nissan Motorsports catalog and the SE-R lists 29%.
I'll try to discibe the oval cut outs. On the 91 NX, there is a grey band that encircles the car (mines a 93). That area on the front, between the headlights is where I plan on cutting to wide ovals with about 1+ inch left between them. There is nothing behind it to get in the way. I will them use fiber glass, or somthing similar, as a backing so the front end does not end up looking like a 3rd Gen RX-7 nose when it gets old.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car looks good Porboy! I'm feelin that hood. I can't say the same for the six holes on the front bumper.

Maybe the nissan motorsports radiator and replacing both fans would be my way to go.

Jus wonderin, what are the dimensions of your FMIC. It really goes well with the front end.

------------------
Rice...yummy in my tummy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts