SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am about to fall into a bunch of money and I thought I should treat myself to a big present. I want to turbo my b15. I was thinking of doing the fmax kit because it comes with everything I will need. The thing is I don't know how much I will be able to reuse.

I know the ecu will have to be a 97 ecu and I will have to hack up the ecu wiring to get that running.

I also know I am going to have to figure out the piping for the intercooler at least. Not sure about the down pipe.

The exhaust will have to be a custom job, I will need to find a shop to do that I am sure.

What other things am I going to need to do. Just clutch?

My other problem is that my car is a daily driver and I need it to get to work. So when the install happens I will be trying to get everyting on that I can and then hopefully do the install in a weekend. Is this going to be possible.

Anyway its late and there are lots of ideas popping through my head, just thought I could get you guys impressons.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is always a option. Not one I am sure I want to do for a few reasons.

1. It will probably be more expensive. Finding a classic in good condition that will be capable of taking a turbo may be hard to come by. By the time you add car + turbo its going to be thousands more than just a turbo for my current car.

2. I dont' think I want to insure 2 cars here in Mass. I already pay enough for insurance. I don't want to know what another car is going to cost me.

3. I don't really have the garage space. The car will most likely have to be stored in a place other than my apartment and that is just no fun.

I still believe it is possible to turbo the b15 without too much effort. It would be different. I only know of 2 others that have received turbos and only one has been confirmed.

Other opinions?

·
Registered
303 Posts
sweet deal, man. since you're gonna be a rich fat cat now, why not just rent a car for a week while getting the installation done? i'll taxi you around for a week, if you by me a turbo kit for the g.

------------------
Jon
'95 Infiniti G20t

Stillen intake, HS header, "custom" exhaust, A'PEXi Dunk muffler, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, GC's w/AGX's

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Hey I like that idea. I'm in too, taxi for a week.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/ Pirelli P700Z's

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
laf, you guys are too great. I'm still thinking seriously about the idea. I think a lot of prework can be done to work out the logistics.

The hard part is going to be rewiring the ecu to the 2k wiring harness and hoping the program can deal with the roller rockers.

The pluming shouldn't be too bad if I mock it up ahead of time.

Does anyone out there have experience with the FMAX kit or the Hotshot one for that matter?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
If your serious go with the F-max kit. You should be able to use the down pipe it comes with on your car(HS headers work on B15's rite?). You will need to extend your O2 wire to reach the O2 hole but that's no bigge. Also the F-max IC piping just might work on the B15 but I'm not to sure. I have a thought that you might run into problems with the Injectors. Your rail looked diffrent and I don't know if the 370cc one will fit or not.

What you should do is shoot Mike K an E-mail and ask what is involved. Post his responce here and we can discuss it some more.

Mike

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have been talking to Mike K. In fact I sent him off a long list of things last night at like 4 am.
JWT helped do the 2k Sema car that is turbo'ed. I am not sure if you guys saw any pictures but it has to be the cleanest install I have every seen.

http://www.b15sentra.net/images/turbose/MVC00005.JPG

http://www.b15sentra.net/images/turbose/MVC00007.JPG

As for parts this is what I think I will be needing. I think I might be better off going through JWT for them though.

GTIR manifold or some equivlant
t3/4 turbo
front mount intercooler (most likely spearco)
JWT ECU
JWT fuel rail (is it the same one that is running on the other cars?)
Upgraded injectors (MSD?)
Cobra Maf
JWT clutch
Exhaust (this will probably end up being a custom job)
Boost controller (electronic)
Gauges (boost,oil temp,a/f)
blow off valve
Piping (any chance measurements were taken for the one you did on the sema
car and JWT or whomever made them could mock them back up?)

Should I do the following at the same time?
Radiator
fuel pump
coatings for the manifold and/or turbo
Flywheel

Edit: cut those pics out so I can read this thread again

[This message has been edited by Mike Gosselin (edited 02-24-2001).]

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I dont think the roller rockers will be that big of a problem. What the problem would be I think is that cat up on the header. I do remember someone putting a HS gen3 on a 2k and dynoing and getting like 10 or more hp, crazyness. But wonder where the computer gets the numbers for the mixture. Is it still the first o2 sensor? Wonder is the wireing harness that much different than a 98, harness? Getting the turbo on, easy. Then the injectors, is there something that will drop in or will you have to go to a JWT fuel rail. Dont know if they changed the fuel rail or not on the b15's. Mike K should know, they turboed a b15 already. So it cant be that much different.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just talked to JWT (ben) briefly to see how feasable the control systems will be to get working. He was going to go talk with Clark I presume to see how bad the computer programming and fuel rail are going to be. He seemed to indicate that most of the emission contorls were not hooked up with the SEMA car. He also wasn't sure if the fuel rail they used was the same one they sell for the '99 and older cars. He is suppose to be giving me a call sometime next week after he talks to some people.

Kinda disheartening, but hopefully something good will come of it. Without the ECU I'm going to be kinda stuck in less I want to go through trying to use a Tec II (shudder).

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by david:
Well I just talked to JWT (ben) briefly to see how feasable the control systems will be to get working. He was going to go talk with Clark I presume to see how bad the computer programming and fuel rail are going to be. He seemed to indicate that most of the emission contorls were not hooked up with the SEMA car. He also wasn't sure if the fuel rail they used was the same one they sell for the '99 and older cars. He is suppose to be giving me a call sometime next week after he talks to some people.

Kinda disheartening, but hopefully something good will come of it. Without the ECU I'm going to be kinda stuck in less I want to go through trying to use a Tec II (shudder).
</font>
The SEMA car uses a 95-97 ECU with the wires switched around in the main plug. Most of the smog is functional and it is not that hard to make it so.

Some of the wires need to be resoldered but it is not that big of a deal.

To duplicate this car you need a pulsar GTI-R manifold, the JWT fuel rail for the low port head, the ECU, 50 lb injectors, cobra MAF and an HKS GT2530 turbo with an .86 exhaust housing and internal wastegate.

You need to have the IC and down pipe fabricated. That, drilling the oil drain hole in the block and splicing the ECU wires is the hardest part. The piping should not be hard for a 1/2 way decent fabrictor to do.

Mike

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by choaderboy:
The SEMA car uses a 95-97 ECU with the wires switched around in the main plug. Most of the smog is functional and it is not that hard to make it so.

Some of the wires need to be resoldered but it is not that big of a deal.

To duplicate this car you need a pulsar GTI-R manifold, the JWT fuel rail for the low port head, the ECU, 50 lb injectors, cobra MAF and an HKS GT2530 turbo with an .86 exhaust housing and internal wastegate.

You need to have the IC and down pipe fabricated. That, drilling the oil drain hole in the block and splicing the ECU wires is the hardest part. The piping should not be hard for a 1/2 way decent fabrictor to do.

Mike
</font>
Mike you replied.
Thanks for taking the time to read that.

Is there any chance you have some more pics of the engine bay? I have the ones you gave us but it hard for me to tell where you ran all the piping.

For example, where did the MAF and filter end up?

Also is that just the stock JWT fuel rail they have been selling to the '99 and older cars?

Would I be better off going with the FMAX kit or should I put together my own kit?

Also I know you were pretty heavily involved in the build up of the car, but Ben (who may not know everything that was going on with it) really seemed to indicate most of the smog stuff wasn't hooked up. If it was all the better. The only stumbling block I can think of is the ecu and if you are saying that is not problem then all I should need to do is make sure I can figure out the wiring and start buying all the parts I will need.

-=david (full of questions)

b15 owner (soon to have a turbo maybe)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike gave me some answers and along with those I have a few more questions.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by david:

For example, where did the MAF and filter end up?
</font>
Supposidly this is suppose to be in the stock location, but I figure that would be near the battery and judging from the first picture that I have a link to I don't see it. Am I going blind?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Also is that just the stock JWT fuel rail they have been selling to the '99 and older cars?
</font>
This is the regular jwt fuel rail.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Would I be better off going with the FMAX kit or should I put together my own kit?
</font>
I guess this going to depend on my own requirements. The fmax tubing is going to be useless to me. Has anyone tried to put together their own kit by buying the parts individually? Is the Fmax kit actually a way to save some money?

As far as what I am looking for it to do, I'm guessing somewhere in the 225 hp range or so with the option to turn it up quite a bit to ... I guess scare my passengers. I also want something that is going to spool up fairly quickly. I used to own a Conquest and for those who have driven them you know the spool up on those suck. So anything that would be like 10x better than that would do.

I also have a few more questions...

Do any of you who own a turbo live in a emissions state? If so have you had much trouble passing the tests? In Mass here we have a rolling dyno test even.
I guess I need to do some looking for what the emissions laws say.

The other stuff is more for the local guys. Do you think you will be able to help me with this project? I'm a computer geek by trade, not a car mechanic, so I know little about taking apart a car.
Also am I going to be able to find anyone to help me fabricate the piping I am going to need?

-=david (teeming with questions but my care is now devoid of the salt from SF2K1

[This message has been edited by david (edited 02-26-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts