SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What clutch would most of you recommend for a car planning to run about stock to 8psi of boost on a BB DET motor? The car is a daily driver. Will normally not see boost levels higher than that on a normal basis? Would the JWT be able to hold that? What other options are there beside ACT ( which one do you guys recommend for what I described ) Clutchmasters ( will the stage 1 hold this power? ) Centerforce ( haven't heard much about these clutches ) and others like Proactive and such....TIA!

·
Registered
448 Posts
My ACT Heavy Duty PP with Street disc took an unbelieveable amount of turbo abuse. I originally bought for the 50shot but left it in after it seemed to take 17+psi with stride.

It just got a little soft at times at the track with slicks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
ACT HD P/PL & Street Disc

Jay Hass said:
My ACT Heavy Duty PP with Street disc took an unbelieveable amount of turbo abuse. I originally bought for the 50shot but left it in after it seemed to take 17+psi with stride.

It just got a little soft at times at the track with slicks.
I will agree with Jay on this. Get the HD P/PL & Street Disc. It is great for the street and has very little-no chatter. It amazed me how much abuse the ACT Street setup endured while in Jay's car. That was the clutch kit I sold him when he was on a 50 shot JWT setup. That damn thing layed down 409 whp at the dyno; unbelievable!

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Another option might be the Clutchnet clutch, which is what I have. Clutchnet makes the disc and the pressure plate. The disc is a sprung hub disc with organic material on one side, and segmented fibertuff on the other. The pressure plate is a 2200 lb. PP. Clutchnet says this clutch will hold 500 HP, and I can tell you it held real well in my car at 14 psi.

But the best part about it is the sprung disc. It engages like a stock clutch and it's light like a stock clutch too. No chatter, no harsh engagement, it's just about everything you could want out of a clutch. This is the same disc that Ryan Besterwich has been running in his turbo SE-R for a couple years now.

So it might be overkill for your setup, but it's a great clutch that will hold whatever power you're going to make.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Zak91SER said:
Another option might be the Clutchnet clutch, which is what I have. Clutchnet makes the disc and the pressure plate. The disc is a sprung hub disc with organic material on one side, and segmented fibertuff on the other. The pressure plate is a 2200 lb. PP. Clutchnet says this clutch will hold 500 HP, and I can tell you it held real well in my car at 14 psi.

But the best part about it is the sprung disc. It engages like a stock clutch and it's light like a stock clutch too. No chatter, no harsh engagement, it's just about everything you could want out of a clutch. This is the same disc that Ryan Besterwich has been running in his turbo SE-R for a couple years now.
Hi,

Can you comment on the pedal effort of the Clutchnet 2200 lb PP? This is their high end PP, right? I think their stock PP is 2000 lbs? Oleg at Clutchnet told me it was much stiffer than stock. I was wondering how that compared to say the ACT Extreme PP.

Steve

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Be careful when you order from clutchnet. The guys there are very knowledgable and helpful, but they like to overkill :) Basically, the disc that Zak listed is great, but there is some variance in pressure plates. For PPs. they will either heat-treat and otherwise modify a PP to increase clamping force, or they will add another diaphragm to increase force. The problem is that the PP cores they use (usually OEM) have a couple of different clamping forces. some are around 1100lbs and some are closer to 14-1500 (IIRC). When i was having them make a clutch for my race car, we were talking and i said I wanted a 2000lb plate like Zak's . He grabbed a stock plate he had sitting there and threw it on their testing fixture and it measured out at around 1100. He said he'd have a hard time modifying it to increase force that much, so he'd have to make it a double diaphragm. I said ok, but I don't really like the final outcome. My double-diaphragm plate is not very streetable and gives your leg a workout. Basically, I think Zak and Ryan started off with the stiffer OEM plate and they were able to get the force up by modifying the single diaphragm. So just make sure they don't think you need a double-diaphragm and you will have a happy, long-lasting, smooth clutchnet experience. BTW, the disc is awesome! smooth engagement, sprung hub, and it grabs. I'll be having them make me another pressure plate sometime soon.

andris

·
fabricator
841 Posts
wait. Zak, is your PP single, or double diaphragm? i thought it was a single, but the 2200lb figure looks like 2 of the weaker diaphragms..? hmm, maybe i ended up with 2 stiff ones. (3000lbs!) because i haven't heard from anyone who has driven your car that the pedal effort was high. .

andris

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Andris, I can probably tell you after next week when Rob and I pull my tranny off the motor. :) It's been so long I couldn't tell you if I tried. The only things I know for sure are that Clutchnet said this is the 2000+ lb. pressure plate, it will hold 500 HP at the wheels (according to them), and pedal effort is extremely light and easy. I don't know if it's as light as stock, but my leg dyno thinks it's real close. Rob drove it once, he can attest to that probably.

To be clear, though, every component involved in the clutch is new. New disk, PP, throwout bearing and clutch cable. But effort was not hard in the least. In my recollection, it is not a double diaphragm setup but I should be able to verify that next week.

·
Proud father of two
1,236 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but I ordered a ACT NX9-hd00 for my bb swap and I come to find out that this is discontinued. They now make a NX9-hdSS. That's right, a real street/strip disc. I called ACT and they said that people were having reliability problems with the "stock type" disc they were using. So they now make a street/strip disc. They claim the same torque, but it is like twice as durable because of the copper in the lining. When this gets in my car I'll keep you all informed. Also, the NX9-hdSS is like $70 more then the hd00.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Well heres my experience. i had a clutchnet 2200ib PP double diaphram . The disc was dual fibertuff bothsides the engagement was pretty good like stock but noticably stiffer. This clutch lasted me about 6 months. I attribute this to a bad input shaft toward the end of its life. The clutch intially slipped when it was new but then grabbed nice and hard. i also had the infamous maladjusted
clutch cable which needed spacers/washers. This clutch was good i admit for a T-28 upto 15psi held fine until i took it to the track and used slicks 22x8x15. Not sure if this is due to the dual sided fibertuff disc, since most are running organic/fibertuff. if i were to do it again i would get the organic/fibertuff disc .

Larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.