SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can do it yourself... if I can do it (with a lot of help from a couple people, in particular PNWnissanser) then anyone can.

The toughest part was the fuel pump... everything else was very easy and straight forward, just bolting stuff together. Do plan on taking a couple days though.. don't rush it. Also plan on running to the hardware store a few times for various things.. and don't be afraid to stop if you're getting tired.

Besides the fuel pump the only real problem I ran into was when I snapped an exhaust manifold stud... I ended up deciding it was wise to replace all of them.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PDX S2000:
You can do it yourself... if I can do it (with a lot of help from a couple people, in particular PNWnissanser) then anyone can.

The toughest part was the fuel pump... everything else was very easy and straight forward, just bolting stuff together. Do plan on taking a couple days though.. don't rush it. Also plan on running to the hardware store a few times for various things.. and don't be afraid to stop if you're getting tired.

Besides the fuel pump the only real problem I ran into was when I snapped an exhaust manifold stud... I ended up deciding it was wise to replace all of them.
</font>
Well, thank you!
And I will add to what Brian has said. A turbo install is basically like any other car project. It takes time, tools, and a little bit of know how. If you don't know what the hell you are doing, then find someone who does, and if ya can't do that, the figure it out on your own. there are a TON of people around here that would be more than willing to help you figure it out! I know.

If you are going to get a bolt on kit, don't expect it to be just a kit. Even the FMAX kit which is VERY complete lacks a few things. Mostly little nuts and bolts and hoses and misc stuff that should be expected with any sort of a large transformation such as turbocharging a car!
Also, if you are going to take the motor you have now ( a SR20de, not a DET) Then you are going to have to drill and tap the block for a turbo oil return line. If you don't feel comfortable drilling and tapping your block then again, find someone who is or take it to a shop. Make sure there are no shavings in the oil pan! It only takes a few hours to drop the pans and reseal them! Also, if you are considering taking your de and making it a det, you might want to check the compression and the leak down. Those two figures can tell you a bunch about how the motor will react to boost.
Your stock ser fuel pump will be good to ~240 hp if I remember correctly. please, someone correct me if I am wrong!
The fuel pump Brian mentioned was a PITA for sure. But if I were to do it again I bet it would be alot easier because I have done it once before. Also, boost? You are going to need a better clutch!

I could go on and on.
bascially, if you don't know how or whatever. Learn. I have been wathcing and learning the turbo process for many months and there are still things that I don't know about. And another thing! Get more opinions. Just because I think something is right don't take my word for it. I may have been misinformed. this happens ALOT in this sort of situation.
Good luck! Email me if you want to know anymore!
later

------------------
David Lau <[email protected]>
Stop Fast, corner better B13 SER in Vancouver, WA

[This message has been edited by PNWser (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
194 Posts
There is a shop in Visalia called Raver Motorsports. Vernon rccks. He does alot of
Nissan stuff too. Theres also a guy named Tru that did a DET swap and it took him about a month or so IIRC. Whatever you decide since you're in Fresno I'd be down to help. SERvo might be too if I can get a hold of him and I have a few friends up here that would be more than willing to help.

Mel

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok guys really considering a turbo but one thing has kept me back...first the install. Is it hard enough that I can't do it myself? Do you guys know of anybody that is well qualified to install turbochargers in Central Calif. And lastly which kit should I get, Fmax or Hotshot (or are there any others out there?)?

THanks

G

·
Sage advice from these blokes. DON'T RUSH ANYTHING ON TURBO PROJECT. I have seen a few bad and troublesome turbo systems down here in FL. due to quickie jobs. I went a little over board and worked on the project on and off for 4 years. The only thing stopping me from installing it is time and a good place to connect the Oil drain form the turbo. Any input out there?

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I retract my earlier statement... the hardest part would have been tapping the block, I had that done by a shop =)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks guys for all of your opinions. The only reason I won't do it myselft and would rather let someone who has done it before is that I don't want to screw up and don't have a car to drive (Poor as f*ck, all my money went into my car). Mel, my brother in law from Sac kinda knows this guy Vernon from Visalia, and he tells me that Vernon is really good with Nissans. My brother in law is good at installs but he mostly does Hondas and never a turbo before, so I don't want to let an inexperienced person do the job (including myself). I'll ask some of the guys that hang around R&B Motorsports, since I do drop by there sometimes, and ask them about Vernon and how much he charges and stuff.

Laters

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also, you guys mentioned that it'd take a couple of days? I don't think I'd have a couple of days.... At the very most overnight and then the next day. You see, I know that a quick job is not the most reliable, but I use my car almost everyday, and don't see how I can't just drop off my car or let it sit on my lawn for a couple of days! I'll see how it goes, and hopefully it will work out. If not, all motor is fine with me I guess. BTW, what is the fastest all motor e.t. that anyone has got with a B14 (with full interior and stuff)? Cuz, I just want to beat my cuz's MR2 Turbo and Eclipse GSX, cuz they think they are shitz cuz they have turbos. Also a 92 GS-R, that has i/h/e and other stuff I can't see, people say he has ported and polished head and intake manifold. What's good is that I hung with him and he only took me out by 1.5 carlenths.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am planning on getting an FMAX turbo installed on my 98 sentra se this summer (probably in early august). does anyone know of a shop in ohio or michigan or maybe even indiana that can help me. I do not want to try and do the install. I would rather pay someone else to do it right. Thanks

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERacer:
Also, you guys mentioned that it'd take a couple of days? I don't think I'd have a couple of days.... At the very most overnight and then the next day. You see, I know that a quick job is not the most reliable, but I use my car almost everyday, and don't see how I can't just drop off my car or let it sit on my lawn for a couple of days! I'll see how it goes, and hopefully it will work out. If not, all motor is fine with me I guess. BTW, what is the fastest all motor e.t. that anyone has got with a B14 (with full interior and stuff)? Cuz, I just want to beat my cuz's MR2 Turbo and Eclipse GSX, cuz they think they are shitz cuz they have turbos. Also a 92 GS-R, that has i/h/e and other stuff I can't see, people say he has ported and polished head and intake manifold. What's good is that I hung with him and he only took me out by 1.5 carlenths.

</font>

It would take a couple of *straight* days.
The fuel pump, injectors, rail, ecu and MAF could take one day. Or, even just the pump one day and the rest another, either way the ECU, maf and injecotrs/rail ahve to be done at the same time.
You can run a Turbo ecu on a NA car as long as it hs the matched injectors.
As far as installing the intercooler, turbo, manifold and piping, that can be done in one day easy also. just unbolt all your old crap, and bolt the new stuff up.

If I were you, I would go and look at a turbo car and possible watch an install or two or just read EVERYTHING you can find on the web. Any monkey can do a turbo install. There really isin't alot that you can **** up short of breaking a bolt and that sort of stuff happens (right Brian?)

any more q's?

------------------
David Lau <[email protected]>
Stop Fast, corner better B13 SER in Vancouver, WA

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
I helped SR20DET20 with his Turbo install on his car. I wish we had a kit like the FMAX then we could have been done in a weekend....but we didn't. We had to make everything ourself. It took a month working 1 day a week, The hardest part for us was the Oil tap an the oil pan. We use a craptons service manual....We thought we took all the bolts out but the book didn't say anything about the bolts in the oil pan! DOH! so we had a small leak for a while. I would have to say it was alot of fun getting everything to work. 2 people working on the same car can get alot done in a short time. Ohh those injectors are a bitch to get out!!!! Why the hell are they so hard????

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, you can mess up bad hooking up a boost controller...
We hit 1.2 bar the first night with the car cause a vacuum line was on the wastegate wrong... I guess I was lucky thats all it went to, that could have turned out REALLY bad.. basically, if you read everything you can find, take your time, and double check everything you'll be fine... and like David said, you can do the pump injectors and ECU one weekend, drive the car, then do the rest when you want... truthfully the injectors ecu and fuel pump took as long as the rest did, so it makes for a nice breaking point, I drove around for 3 or 4 days like this w/o a turbo.

G

·
"SERacer"
Hey bloke, if you need any help just e-mail. Any question is not to small. I had a million questions when I started. Sorry, i'm in FL. or I would help you with the install. I really did spend over 4 years researching the turbo setup for my NX before I purchased stuff. As you can see.... the fun part with the install is the Oil drain for the turbo. I'm going to see if I can make a clean, good flowing run to the lower oil pan instead. I'll soon see.
If you want to go N/A then there is quite a bit you can do. One of my blokes runs a 14.5 all day on street tires N/A. Then there is the addictive NOS. You can set up all of your N/A mods then drop on a 50, 60 or even 70 shot of NOS depending upon what you have
done, or more importantly, what you have not done yet. The most common problem we always run into at the shop with NOS are the plugs. You will go through plugs more often and you will need to drop your heat range by one (NGKs are colder the higher the number).
Beating turbo cars is tough N/A. Off the line you might have a good race, but up at higher speed and RPM the MR2 and GSX will leave you.... Not so with a turbo or NOS on your high compression engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts