SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock SR20DE and as soon as my warranty goes out, I'm think of putting a turbo on it. I was also thinking of pulling the engine and dropping a refurbished SR20DET instead. I'm told the DET is a RWD engine and I'll need a new tranny to use it in a FWD car. As I was talking to this guy, he said he got his engine and tranny for around $1500. I was amazed at this price, considering I was looking at turbo kits running $3600-4500. Although he put his into a 240SX RWD, what am I looking at in dropping a DET into my FWD as far a price, parts, and work? How does this compare with just putting a turbo on my DE?

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
It all depends on what your power goals are and what your budget is like. You can probably piece together a kit for like $2K and put down probably similar to what Ben's putting down. But, if you want mega HP, you can shell out some nice $$ and put down what Jay was putting down in his SE-R (407 whp, I believe). As far as this person with the DET goes, if he said that DETs are only RWD, stay away from people like that. He obviously doesn't know very much about DETs. No offense intended (sorry if he's your friend). If there are only RWD DETs available, then why is there a Pulsar GTi-R, and a BlueBird. True, you still can't use those trannies, but they are not RWD and they will bolt up to your stock tranny. Now, $1,500 is a good price, but you can't just buy the DET, put it in and expect it to run great. You have to think about upgrading your clutch to handle the power, your fuel system to handle the additional air flow, intercooling, etc., etc. If "I" were to get a DET, this is what "I" would do to make it run nice: Get DET, replace bearings, rebuild turbo (T25 most likely), make sure injectors are good, get FMIC and custom piping made, get a custom 3" exhaust, send ECU to Clark, ACT clutch, boost/EGT/oil pressure gauges, get a 1G DSM BOV, and get ES inserts. This is the minimum "I" would do. Others have had success with less, but I live in hot as hell AZ and I gotta make sure that **** runs great, if not, bye bye DET. Or you can avoid the hassle and just get a HS or F-Max and just bolt that puppy up. No guesswork involved. But like I said, it all depends on your power goals and budget. Personally, I'm piecing together my own turbo stuff, but I like to do things my own way, but that's just me
Have fun!!

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

[This message has been edited by nsracer (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Here is the first problem you are going to run into with the swap. The motor mounts are different. I don't know if it would be straight swap without custom fabbing some motor mounts. The b15 has mounts on all sides that mimic the ones on the non-crossmember ones on the b13/b14. They may very well be a direct replacement though. I haven't tried to find out.

Seeing how JWT probably isn't going to making a ecu that will be a direct swap for the b15 anytime soon I would really say go for the swap. I've talked with JWT and others at some length about doing a b15 turbo and yes it can be done, you are going to have to elimante some of the emissions stuff. If you state doesn't have emissions laws you can go either way.

In my quest to turbo my car I've been very tempted to just do a DET swap because it seems the easier route to go, although it would be kewl to have one of the only b15's running the stock engine turbo'ed by a fmax kit.

I was actually going to take this project on, but a divorce has gotten in my way and I am just holding onto my funds till I find out how much money I am going to be paying the lawyers. The other issue is the whole emissions thing up here in Mass. Maybe I should just find somewhere to register my car in NH (*wink* Mike *wink*).

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2001 Sentra SE:
I have a stock SR20DE and as soon as my warranty goes out, I'm think of putting a turbo on it. I was also thinking of pulling the engine and dropping a refurbished SR20DET instead. I'm told the DET is a RWD engine and I'll need a new tranny to use it in a FWD car. As I was talking to this guy, he said he got his engine and tranny for around $1500. I was amazed at this price, considering I was looking at turbo kits running $3600-4500. Although he put his into a 240SX RWD, what am I looking at in dropping a DET into my FWD as far a price, parts, and work? How does this compare with just putting a turbo on my DE?</font>
Seems you are bit mislead.

The DET comes in FWD flavor also, and can be swapped into a B13/B14 pretty easy using your stock tranny.

However, I would check with someone like JWT to see what has changed on the B15 and if indeed you can make the DET work

Other than that, it's a straight swap.

You will not get close to the performance of a DE w/ kit on the stock DET but it will still bang out a number.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by david:
Here is the first problem you are going to run into with the swap. The motor mounts are different. I don't know if it would be straight swap without custom fabbing some motor mounts. The b15 has mounts on all sides that mimic the ones on the non-crossmember ones on the b13/b14. They may very well be a direct replacement though. I haven't tried to find out.

Seeing how JWT probably isn't going to making a ecu that will be a direct swap for the b15 anytime soon I would really say go for the swap. I've talked with JWT and others at some length about doing a b15 turbo and yes it can be done, you are going to have to elimante some of the emissions stuff. If you state doesn't have emissions laws you can go either way.

In my quest to turbo my car I've been very tempted to just do a DET swap because it seems the easier route to go, although it would be kewl to have one of the only b15's running the stock engine turbo'ed by a fmax kit.

I was actually going to take this project on, but a divorce has gotten in my way and I am just holding onto my funds till I find out how much money I am going to be paying the lawyers. The other issue is the whole emissions thing up here in Mass. Maybe I should just find somewhere to register my car in NH (*wink* Mike *wink*).
</font>
What are you going to use for an ECU with the DET?

Gotta have something in there. Good luck getting a DET ECU, as you will also need the complete wiring harness.

From what I understand you can make the B15 ECU work by modifying it just like a 98+ unit.

Also, as long as the mounting points are the same, the mounts should not matter. I know they went to a different style in the B15 but as long as they mount the same you could put anything you want in there.

Good luck with the divorce thing...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the one question I run into all the time with turbo mods. DET or turbo kit. A DET can be an easy swap for those that have done a few, but i'm in the same twisted boat as "nsracer". I have to figure it all out myself. So now I have a full turbo kit (short only JWT chip) and no time to install it. I do have the added exspence of a custom exhaust and turbo intake pipes coming. I'm not sure about the F-max kit, but it looks pretty complete to me. I know Jim Wolf has a few setups. Good luck "2001 Sentra SE" with any choice you make. I'll be happy to give my input on a custom kit if you wish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
umm usually you can buy a packaged engine. with ecu, wiring harness, tranny, and so forth. duh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts