SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of 3 Turbo Kits available for the SR20DE..the JWT/HOT SHOT/F-MAX...i'm just wondering which kit is the best and why..i've seen the list of parts and everything..but which kit will yield the most power along with reliability?..just wanted some opinions..also which kits will pass emmissions??..also..can somebody tell me what OBDII compliant means?? ..thanks

[This message has been edited by nismo13GTiR (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
F-Max. All of them should pass the sniffer, but who knows about the visual.

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
FMAX makes the most power, it comes with the biggest turbo. They will all be equally reliable, assuming it was installed correctly. As far as emissions, it depends on what state you're in. Only the JWT CARB-legal turbo kit will be legal in California, the other two aren't. However, with all emissions equipment hooked up, all three turbo kits should pass emissions tests out the tailpipe, but they will fail the visual test (with the exception of the JWT CARB-legal kit).

OBDII compliant means that it'll work with the 95 and newer SE-Rs (and also the 91-94s as well).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's so different about the JWT kit that makes it CARB legal??..and how can they tell it is CARB legal.??..is it just a sticker??

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
You have to go thru a certification process to get the CARB number. Basically, you pay them a lot of money, you GIVE them whatever you want certified, and they test it. If you pass, you get the CARB certification saying it's all good. Reason why most aftermarket things aren't CARB legal? It's due to the $$$ and time involved.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is why my goal will be to do around 250 whp street legal. I think if I can do that on an sr20, it would be pretty sweet. They are very strict here about emissions. So, if I get my car to pass, Then I'm sure everyone else will be able to as well. "Yeah, that's a stock turbo......"

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
513 Posts
I also forgot to mention that another company , Redline Racing, has a kit available as well:

http://www.cnw.com/~redline/SE-Rturbo.htm

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Are you sure that the Redline kit is an F-max kit. I was looking at it and talking to craig about it. He said that it was not an F-max. I was looking at the hotshot and it sounds like a bolt on kit that is easy to install and reliable. Same with the F-max. But the price is the main difference.

------------------
Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R(Pacific sun blue)
Its from america's dairyland, what can get any better than that.
Pics up soon!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Redline kit is not the F-max kit, IIRC. I think I wrote a couple e-mails to the owner a while back when I was searching for a kit. He said that he doesn't make his own kit anymore. It was more cost effective to be a dealer for F-max. You might want to speak with the owner. This was a while back, and I did speak to a lot of people concerning turbo kits. My mind is not as fresh as it once used to be.

------------------
Brandon
98 SE-R
F-Max stage I

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I thought it was the f-max kit, but knowing my streak of being wrong and bad luck, it probably is not the f-max kit, but it was kind of confusing having the f-max and their kit on the same page

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
I was wondering the samething, about which kit is better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts