SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how is it? i'm considering to do a sr20det conversion in my sentra (pending costs to get the front end fixed, and what i get for my celica when i sell it) and running it in a modified class. my question is, how is the lag? mostly, how is it when you are relatively low (around 2500-3000) in second gear, with kuhmo slicks mounted on. does it get up, or is there a substantial waiting period? if so, would it be better to downgrade to a smaller turbo? keep in mind the car would mostly be stock so with the limited slip, so power isn't a problem. i could care less as long as i had a turbo that boosted up almost instantly.

also, are there any sr20det autocrossers here? if so, what have you done to keep the beast in line?

thanks in advance.

------------------

representing the plains with a slammed in door, smashed in front end, but still loud and fast, 1991 nissan sentra se-r, and now a sweet looking silver 1988 toyota celica gt-s with more show than go.

·
10sec club
164 Posts
T-25 is great mine pulls great at 2800rpm,I leave it in 2nd gear alot at our autocross events pulls great out of 2nd gear at stock boost not too much either!!!!Later,
Mickey

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Honestly, it feels like a Normal SR20 with a turbo... great low end for getting out of corners. I started running a profec B (boost controller) and run about 10psi. that combined with the kumhos make it one hell of a rocket, the "lag" is non exisitant in the 2500rpm+ range below that it feels like a n/a car. To keep it in control I am going to have to resort to coilovers and some high rate springs. The nx brakes are ok so far, I just wish the pedal wasn't so soft

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey monsoon.

An SR20DET with a T28 will have less lag than that rex you took autocrossing. If you want to get it back from there you can get a more modern turbo, muck about with the exhaust manifold, muck about with the tuning etc.

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, didn't know you came here imoa. anyways, what does the stock sr20det come with? i don't have a huge amount of money to do this, so i'm really just focused on the turbo or changing minor engine things to get the turbo to spool up quicker (can you change exhaust components, or will that just be a minor change?).

------------------

representing the plains with a slammed in door, smashed in front end, but still loud and fast, 1991 nissan sentra se-r, and now a sweet looking silver 1988 toyota celica gt-s with more show than go.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
These are the stock DET turbos we're talking about... the T25 on the Bluebird DET and the T28 on the GTiR DET. Just run the DET stock, and change out your exhaust system to a full 3" system. And run a boost controller if you want to, but it'll run great at stock boost too. My BB DET made good boost at 2500 RPM.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Monsoon:
wow, didn't know you came here imoa. anyways, what does the stock sr20det come with? i don't have a huge amount of money to do this, so i'm really just focused on the turbo or changing minor engine things to get the turbo to spool up quicker (can you change exhaust components, or will that just be a minor change?). </font>
I've driven an SE-R with a stock DET and it lagged a little, but not bad. You can forget going to a smaller turbo. The T25 is already a bit small for the SR20 engine. If you read what Mike Kojima has written about turbos, it should teach you that a well matched larger turbo can have less lag than a smaller turbo such as a T25.

My DET in my G20 generally has no lag. It usually feels like a stock SR20DE (I have an aluminum flywheel and UR pulleys that help in this regard). If I am in the right gear it feels like a built NA engine at low rpm when I goose it. You cannot even tell when the boost starts to build. At about 3k rpm it *really* comes alive. I have Extrude Honed and Swain coated the exhaust manifold, turbine housing, and exhaust elbow and that really helps improve efficiency and reduce lag. This, combined with the flywheel and pulleys makes the engine rev quicker and thus spool the turbo sooner and faster.

The only time I can really notice lag is when I'm just crusing around 2500 rpm and goose it without downshifting. Then it is noticeable waiting for boost to come on. A quick downshift will take care of that instantly though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts