SR20 Forum banner

Turbo magazine article - long

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Boost 
#1 ·
"JIM WOLF TECHNOLOGY 1991 - 1999 SR2OS
The beauty of the Jim Wolf Technology turbo kit is three-fold. First is the impressive boost in performance, thanks to a stout flat torque curse snd responsive turbo. Second is the tact that the Jim Wolf kit encompasses all SR2ODE-pow- ered vehicles from 1991 -'94 Sentra SE-Rs to 1995 sod up 2OOSX SE-Rs, to NX2OOOs, Infinit G2Os and newer Sentra SEs. Third is the kit sports CARB certificaton.
The kit delivers a 50-percent gain in power producton, which we gladly salute, and checks in at an ultra reasonable price of $3595. The kit consists of a cast iron eshaust manifold, T3T28 series turbo and all the piping and hardware needed to hook it up. Fuel enrichment comes via a JWT-tuned factory ECU and the OE injectors. With only 6.5 psi of boost, the kit requires no blow-off valve which keeps things at the more simple under the hood. Plans calI for offering an air-to-air intercooler as an opton in the near future and the JWT inventory contains plenty of race parts (low­compression pistons, rods etc.) that make the kit an excel­lent foundaton for a full-race set-up. As it sits the JWT kit, as tested on an Infiniti G2Ot, delivers a max gain of 61.3 hp at 6900 rpm and a 59.7 lb-ft increase of max torque at 3500 rpm. As far as peak figures are concerned the SR20 put down 118 hp in all natural trim and 177 ponies in boosted guise. Torque jumped from a peak of 115 lbs-ft tea whop­ping 171 lbs-ft. That will set you back in your seat."

Now, my problem is this, why oh why a G20t, is'nt this an automatic? slushbox equipped, thus jarring the numbers a turbo would give?

Great mag that profiles all turbos that bolt on to many cars.

Harp
92NX

See less See more
#2 ·
No, not really, IMHO. The numbers an engine makes are really independent of what kind of transmission is attached to it. The engine has no idea what kind of tranny is bolted up to it.

As long as the car is in the 'right' gear on a dynojet, then the numbers will be good. And I can almost guarantee that a company like JWT ran that G20t on the dyno in every gear, to get the best possible numbers out of it.

Again, IMHO, turbos and automatics make for an awesome drag-racing package. With a higher-stall torque converter swapped in, you can build boost one the line, then -whoosh- off you go. Plus....no boost loss (or minimal at best) between shifts (as with a clutch).

Just go watch a late-80s Buick Grand National some time at the dragstrip, and you'll see what I mean.

Just my opinion.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., 14.10@99mph 1/4 mile, 8.95@79mph 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

#3 ·
The Infiniti G20t is offered in a 5 speed. I don't think that is the issue here. The big issue is what else was done to the car? If it is stock with just this kit added, this is a reasonable increase. The reduced backpressure from a new exhaust alone should prove very helpfull. I'm still waiting to see if anyone bites on this kit.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

G
#4 ·
The numbers an engine makes are really independent of what kind of transmission is attached to it. The engine has no idea what kind of tranny is bolted up to it.

***First of all, the G20t is available with a 5 speed tranny.

Second, it is a known fact that an automatic tranny saps more power from an engine than a 5 speed manual. A turbocharged SE-R with an automatic will put down less hp *at the wheels* than an indentically equipped SE-R with a manual tranny.

The power produced by the engine (at the flywheel) is still the same, but the amount of power available at the drive wheels will be different.

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

#5 ·
Good point, Jay. I don't argue that an automatic saps more power than a 5-speed...especially in FWD cars. However, I wouldn't think the % of power sapped in this low-pressue turbo setup would be any more than minimal.

Of course...we need every hp we can get in our cars.

And yes, I'm aware the G20t can be had with a 5-speed.

I guess I was just reacting more to the misnomer than automatics and turbos don't go together. In my experience (granted, it's more dragstrip than anything else), they do go well together.

#6 ·
I scanned the article hoping to just paste it here, but no go, so I just had the scanner do the text, what I failed to mention was a box under the picture that gave raw results, the added turbo gave 177 hp "at the wheels", so I assumed that the auto sapped some of the HP and this would not reflect how much "Wheel HP" you'd get with a manual.

Was I wrong to assume that?

Harp
92NX

#8 ·
What I don't see is where you got the idea it's an automatic? In addition, they give the dyno the car did stock. It put down close to 120 hp. This is about right for a stock, 5 speed sr20. Also, I don't think it would matter all that much. They give the initial power output. By doing this the set a benchmark. So, even if it was an automatic, The added difference would be like 5 or 6 hp.

My main point with this is that the car was completely stock. If you want to see it's potential, an exhaust mod must be had.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

#9 ·
Potential?I'd say a little bit, since they used factory SR20DE injectors. But isn't that about what a stage I f-max kit goes for? Still pretty nice if you have to be CARB cert'd.

------------------
'91 SEntRa
'92 Sentra XE
SHUT UP AND DRIVE!!!!

#10 ·
As far as the arguement for an automatic tranny, I would if I could for an all out drag car. Need proof, look no further than the Phatridez Drag Neon that ran 9.05@155 with an automatic. If Level 10 could build me an automatic that could sustain huge boost levels and torque, I'm in there like swimwear. Laugh if you want, but I would do it in a heartbeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.