SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, what's the verdict on the SR swaps in the S13 running big turbo's (IE T3/T4)

I know you can slap that big booty on the stock T25 manifold for clearance reasons so what is the cure? Anyone make a reasonably priced mani that is not "formula one inspired" and priced like it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
In the new SCC i saw an ad for one from VIS(I think, I have to look it up when i get home).

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

G

·
Good question, firstly, I would think that any turbo kit for a sr20de with a t3/t4 turbo manifold would work,so f-max maybe?? I could be wrong. But if not, you have one of two choices, custom make one or get one from a japanese tuner, ie; blitz, monkey magic, apexi, and the list goes on. But they do cost a lot, the cheapest I've seen start at about $950 bucks.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I don't think the mani's from a FWD sr20 would work that well for a rwd DET. Reason being, the motor is mounted transverse in FWD and longitudianlly in the RWD 240s. They have different space considerations like with the FWD, you gotta make sure it doesn't run into the fans or radiator, with the RWD, uh, run into the side of the engine bay? It would be better to get a manifold designed specifically for the RWD DETs. It'll fit better and probably make more power.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
I figured the height of the turbo sitting on a FWD manifold would be the problem since a RWD manifold will fit on a FWD block but only if the radiator is out. So im guessing that the manifold would fit but the t3/t4 might have trouble clearing the hood rather than the frame since the FWD manifold tends to keep the turbo close to the block and rather high up as well.

-Andy

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
62 Posts
And the FWD manifolds are very very restrictive.

Can you get someone to make one up? In aus a custom one would go for around $250, you might want to look at supporting the turbo from underneath as well to help it last a bit longer but that might be difficult due to the amount of movement the SR has.

There are heaps of japanese manifolds generally starting around the $700 mark, maybe have a poke around the taka kaira site to get an idea on prices.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am not so shure that the manifold will work from a fwd setup. The engine bays are completely different. There is a bit shortage of manifolds on this side of the pond. Adding to this problem is the fact that american's seem to be in love with the T3/T4. And in Japan (where the rwd aftermarket is) they don't use it. For a big turbo you could mount up a GT3037 but would need to get a wastegate mounted as well. If your looking for a turbo with internal wastegate then the GT2835 will be a good choice. These turbo's will mount to the fatcory Sr mani and should clear. Me personally I would get a kit from across the pond. They come complete and are proven. My ultimate setup is a Tomei 2.2 kit with a Trust T78 kit.

------------------
Tony A.
AIM: TX180SX
"I ownz joo!!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:
Okay guys, what's the verdict on the SR swaps in the S13 running big turbo's (IE T3/T4)</font>
Jay, good question, because not too many people think about it until they are knee deep in their projects.

There used to be a company called Demon Speed that made custom RWD manifolds. They are no longer in business. The guy at Z10 also makes SR20 manifolds but they've sold out of their last bunch, so I've been told they need another 15 to run another batch. Still, stainless steel weld-els are available for real cheap, and a weldor with the right equipment can fab an equal length manifold for you for less than $600. I contemplated this idea, buying the SR20 head flange from either Hotshot or F-MAX.

Manifolds from Japan might not be a good idea. The stainless ones are great quality, but they are designed for right-hand drive and parts of it (usually the wastegate or it's piping) will hit a left-hand drive's steering column.

You'll see my solution in the next following weeks, Jay, so keep your eyes peeled.

Al

·
Registered
249 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by primeral:
Jay, good question, because not too many people think about it until they are knee deep in their projects.

There used to be a company called Demon Speed that made custom RWD manifolds. They are no longer in business. The guy at Z10 also makes SR20 manifolds but they've sold out of their last bunch, so I've been told they need another 15 to run another batch. Still, stainless steel weld-els are available for real cheap, and a weldor with the right equipment can fab an equal length manifold for you for less than $600. I contemplated this idea, buying the SR20 head flange from either Hotshot or F-MAX.

Manifolds from Japan might not be a good idea. The stainless ones are great quality, but they are designed for right-hand drive and parts of it (usually the wastegate or it's piping) will hit a left-hand drive's steering column.

You'll see my solution in the next following weeks, Jay, so keep your eyes peeled.

Al

</font>

While the bit about the wastegate is true....why go through all of the trouble of designing and making one when you can just cut and remount one little pipe. Just something to think about.

------------------
Tony A.
AIM: TX180SX
"I ownz joo!!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TX180SX:

While the bit about the wastegate is true....why go through all of the trouble of designing and making one when you can just cut and remount one little pipe. Just something to think about.

</font>
Tony, great point! But the stainless manifolds I've seen on Japanese websites usually run $1400 and up, and then there's shipping and importer overhead. Retail price on the GReddy unit (I think it's a TD06 flange) is $1800. Custom manifolds done by a competent weldor should run from $500-$1400, depending on material and complexity.

Pictures to drool over:

GReddy
http://vans.oldskoolwheels.com/la_trip_10_13_01/manifold_1.jpg

Demon Speed
http://vans.oldskoolwheels.com/la_trip_10_13_01/manifold_4.jpg

Take care,
Al Abadilla

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
primeral said:

Al

Yea, when I plan a project, I sit down and blueprint the whole thing out and that's one issue that stuck out pretty hard for me.

I forgot about the JDM manifolds and left hand drive. Excellent point.

I'd almost think the F-Max FWD mani would work provided it doesn't put the turbo into the master cylinder. I would be interested in seeing how it lines things up.

I guess I could get the mig out and make an ugly but effective manifold. :p

I just picked up a classic SE-R daily beater for $500 so, I have a choice. Build the Talon, or sell it and get busy on a S13. Ron Acevedo offered to sell me his S13 with the Silvia front end, 5 lug conversion etc etc, I would just have to do the motorswap. I might just jump on it, I've ALWAYS wanted to do an S chassis. Well you remember our talks. :D

There was a guy at E-Town with an anemic looking white S13 that pulled in the waterbox and to everyones awe clicked off a [email protected] on radial tires. I couldn't find him in the pits to see what it had. Pisser.

·
Registered
249 Posts
hey Al....

I have found some that are as cheap as 600 US and that is from a Japanese company. Same great quality and construction as that greddy one you linked to. (nice pic by the way:D ) Another option is if you know someone that is going to the Tokyo Auto Salon then you can have them shop for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
$600 stainless manifold...

... Tony, I'd like to know more about these $600 manifolds. I just bought the GReddy one but I also have a spare Silvia DET sitting around that will need a manifold, as well.

Let me know :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Robert from www.projectsilvia.com is the one that will be importing them in. He told me about them during a conversation. I believe they will be Essential manifolds. He will carry two versions I believe. One with the mount for a wastegate and another without. They are apperently going to have T25 flanges so you could mount any GT series or similiar. The price was still tentative but he assured me that it would be anywhere from 6-900 depending on model. :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
I do know that Veilside and HKS both make Stainless steel manifolds for the RWD SR20DET. I am not too sure what flange the Veilside manifold has , nor do I know what the cost is. I do know the part numbers and prices for the HKS units.

S13 - 1419-RN005 T25 Flange
S14 & S15 - 1419-RN006 T25 Flange

List Price - $1155.00

·
Registered
249 Posts
There are many company's that make manifolds. Veilside, HKS, Trust, Essential, Ikeya, Dick Sports, etc., etc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
TX180SX said:
There are many company's that make manifolds. Veilside, HKS, Trust, Essential, Ikeya, Dick Sports, etc., etc.
I guess I should have clarified myself!

What I meant to say was that you cn get a cast iron manifold for the KA that will fit a larger turbo (T3 or T4) for $450.00. Whereas a Japanese manifold might run you an arm and a leg for something that you will have very little choices on which turbo to run.

I understand that most of the Japanese manifolds utilize the Stock T25 flange in which a Nice HKS GT series turbo can be used, but isn't the most cost effective.

ie: KA Motor
T3/T04E = $650.00
RevHard Manifold = $450.00
Total = $1100.00

ie: SR Motor
GT2540 = $1400.00
Japanese Stainless Steel Manifold = $900.00
Total = $2300.00

We are talking about 2x as much for the SR than the KA.

There are going to be alot more variables involved when designing a turbo system to fit one's needs!

I was just basing my theory on what little I knwo of Jay Hass, and I knwo he would want to make some Beast Ass S13 that will have some ungodly amount of HP!:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
True the ka manifolds are cheaper but it's obvious why. I would spend the money on a tuned equal length turbo manifold over a cast log style anyday. There are reasons for the cost difference and it will show in your power output. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
TX180SX said:
True the ka manifolds are cheaper but it's obvious why. I would spend the money on a tuned equal length turbo manifold over a cast log style anyday. There are reasons for the cost difference and it will show in your power output. :)
Not necessarily! I have seen log manifolds put out over 500+ hp to the wheels!

Now, if you are building a street car, an equal length manifold will probably become Swiss Cheese due to the rigors of daily use! The constant expansion & contraction will usually crack at the welds. A slip fit collector wil also lek until warmed up!

Cast Manifold and even log manifolds are very inexpensive, reliable alternative to an equal length manifold. These maintain durability while still being able to produce sufficient HP figures.

Like I said, there are too many vaiables involved when constructing a turbo system to suit your needs. Keeping in mind that YOUR needs may be enirely different than MY needs!

·
Registered
249 Posts
APEXSER said:

Not necessarily! I have seen log manifolds put out over 500+ hp to the wheels!

I didn't say that they can't make power. Here I will state it clearly. With all other things being equal the setup with the equal length turbo manifold will make more power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts