SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a T3/T04E. I am forced to buy a FMAX manifold (until those 1 or 2 others posted on this forum become available) and it's like $550. You can get a whole friggin T25 setup for like $400 with manifold, turbo, heatshields, j-pipe, oil and water lines. The FMAX manifold is SO much more expensive. The fuel setup from Terry is $545 but that's VERY reasonable considering you are getting a fuel rail, injectors, and fuel pump. The turbo is even ok. The manifold is what gets me. Can't you get a stock NA manifold, hack off the flange and weld on a T3 one or something? A manifold shouldn't be that expensive.

·
Stockish TC
1,275 Posts
damn

yeah at FTF Motorsports they'll give you better prices, go check them out. For the manifold I suggest going to www.nismoparts.com and getting yourself a new OEM GTI-R Manifold and just putting in the new flange on it. The manifold is sold for $252 on there + shipping, you should be able to get a flange for under $100. If you are gonna spend more than $500, get the Protech Manifold, it is such a beautiful piece of work it is not even funny.
JCC

P.S- hope this helps

·
Stockish TC
1,275 Posts
lol

nevermind that is FTF Motorsports, hehe, don't mind me I am on 3 weeks worth of Flu pills on 1 day, later,
JCC

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Ben,

I agree. Get a brand new OEM GTi-R manifold from nismoparts.com for $252. Send it to Andreas in Miami and he will take care of welding on the T3 turbine flange at the right angle. Also, he can do a little cleanup work and welding on the runners to make it flow better. He can explain more in detail what he does.

Call him at 305-282-3643.

Peace,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey V8 Killer, you wouldn't happen to be on any Tutbo Ford BB's would you?

I also agree that manifold price is outrageous. The thing is, according to Corky Bell, that style is cheaper and easier to make. It is also not he best way to go for a turbo manifold. Just adequate.

·
fabricator
841 Posts
AZ 2K SE said:
I also agree that manifold price is outrageous. The thing is, according to Corky Bell, that style is cheaper and easier to make. It is also not he best way to go for a turbo manifold. Just adequate.
Log style manifolds don't give up a whole lot on a street car that is not aiming to squeeze every last horsepower out of an engine. They aren't really as bad as people would have you believe. Yes, they are cheaper and easier to make than other designs, but that doesn't =suck. You obviously don't know much about what it takes to build something like a turbo manifold, the necessary equipment, R&D, time, etc.. The fmax manifold is very clean, durable, and responsible for some really damn fast cars. if 525 seems like a rip for a log manifold, then you can certainly pay 1500 for the badass equal-length model, any other manifold that is available, or make your own.
Andris

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
AZ, have you even seen a FMAX manifold in person? It is ****n beautiful. Those are TIG welds and they are professionals. It is a quality product and will not split at the welds.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand you can weld a T3 flange on a GTi-R manifold, but will the T3/T04E fit down there? I thought the whole reason FMAX designed their manifold like that was to be able to fit the turbo in. I know people have done this but I can't recall specific examples. Anybody got pics of this?

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Shaggy (497 whp) has a pulsar manifold with a BIG turbo on it. It fits. Just weld on a new flange.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
92SE-R said:
Shaggy (497 whp) has a pulsar manifold with a BIG turbo on it. It fits. Just weld on a new flange.
Well from what I understand, it's not that easy welding cast iron. Mike K. was explaining it to me, and it seemed like a real bitch. He said Mike Smith at JWT was the only guy he knew who could do a good job of it, but I know another local guy here in Ventura County who can also do a good job. The flange will have to be kicked out a little bit so the big T04E compressor will clear the engine block.

I think this manifold helps with spooling and flow alot though. Shaggy makes full boost by about 4500 rpm with that big Tractor Turbo!

Frank
96 200sx SE-R
F-MAX Stage 2

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well I have a jig for pulsar GTIR manifold with T3 flange on it. I have been doing these for about 7 years and they work better than almost every manifold I have tried. I can say for a fact that it is a much easier instale than the FMAX maniflod since I have been working on a FMAX turbo manifod design thing for the past weakend. Also welding the flange on the Pulsar manifold is easy the trick is to get the cast metal hot enough to weld on it. The cast material cools down to quick.

·
Stockish TC
1,275 Posts
quick question....

Hey Andreas, how much would you charge to do the modification? Or do you sell the already modified manifolds? thanks,
JCC

P.S. e-mail me at [email protected] if you can

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
It's nice getting the input of Andreas Miko, Louis Anaya, Jay Whitley, Big Boost, Kojima, etc.... because they have all tried different turbo manifolds on their SR20 motors. And they are willing to contribute their experiences, and further the development of fast SE-R's.
Those few small lines written by Andreas in this thread, regarding his experience with the GTi-R manifold and T3 flange on an SR motor, are valuable. It's not about dogging everyone elses product. If you don't like, don't buy it. Go out, make your own manifold, post it to this forum along with some good hard data backing up how much power it put down, and how much YOU would like to sell it for.
And remember, the F-MAX manifold is not just 16 gauge mild steel that is welded together, it is CAST steel with a high nickel content which resists cracking, even on repeated 10 second blasts down the quarter mile.

Frank
96 200sx SE-R
F-MAX Stage 2
[email protected] on nitrous and slicks
[email protected] on F-MAX and Kumho 712'sare valuable

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those of us who don't want to buy the FMAX manifold for whatever reason, Andreas, what are the costs and considerations for modifying a GTi-R/NISMO manifold? My big question is how in the heck do you get that monster turbo to fit down there? Anybody have any pics?

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Dude, Ben, I'm going exactly your 98 setup. The BB T25 setup. I want 200 whp. I'm just saying the FMAX manifold isn't shitty. I obviously can't afford it. Give me an email man. I want to ask you some questions about your 98 setup.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
I've got one of Andreas Miko's manifolds and it fits great on my car with enough clearance for the TO4E compressor. It is port matched and has modifications to reduce reversion. If you want any more info, contact Andreas. I don't want to give away any of his secrets. ;)

Everyone on the forum is intitled to their own opinion, regardless if I like it or not. For one to say that JWT or FMAX doesn't give a f*ck about a four year span of SE-R's isn't fair. The main problem holding them back is (correct me if I'm wrong) ECU programming. Nissan did something real funky with years 98-00 with the ECU. JWT simply was unable to crack the codes to enable the vehicle to operate correctly. I believe something can be done using a 97 ECU.
Well anyway, you can't make ludricrous comments when you don't have all of the info. JWT, specifically Clark tried very hard for those model years. It is simply not available yet.
Your other option is to go out and buy a stand alone. Good luck with tuning it. If you have balls, you'll need a four band O2 sensor, a Lambda meter, EGT, a laptop, proprietary injectors, not to mention extensive knowledge of compensating for rich and lean mixtures and interpolating the info to place into cells over a given rpm band. You'll need these things to get the car started!!!!! Now you have to go tune it so you can drive it. Good freakin' luck.
I don't own a FMAX system, but let me tell you something. If you think you can design a better manifold for less than $525 that is cast iron, go for it.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Big Boost said:
When you tell us that JWT and FMAX sucks, you are personally telling Me, Kojima, Tony Q, Ben B, James F, Louis, Jay W, SHAGGY, Rob Cadle, Frank O,
Jay Hass, Andreas and many many other that we are wrong and have no clue. By making such ridiculous comments, it is you who has no clue......:confused:
You can add me to that list. I have Corky Bell's book also and read through it almost every week since last Christmas. It's a good basic turbo book but it has a lot of errors and some of it's out dated. Um, one more thing, you can't believe everything you read, and you certainly can't trust one source to be the END ALL bible of how to do things.

The F-Max manifold is made with weld els like that Corky shows in the book. It is something you would want to hang on your wall. As my father stated, military grade welds and workmanship.

You see there used to be a time when DET swaps were not so plentiful, and there were NO turbo kits from anyone. I'm not talking about 5 years ago either; you'd only have to go back to 1998 for the above statement to be true. Back then I was BEGGING the aftermarket community to come out with a kit. Now we have several choices.

BTW, guess who got S&S to make SR20DE headers? :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
F-Max and JWT have told b15 guys they have no plans, or desire to develop an ECU mod/ turbo kit for our cars because they want to focus on the new Sentra. They have also left the 98-99 guys hanging for 2-3 years now. After hearing things like that, THAT is why I say they can kiss my ass. The only reason they did any work at all on the older models was beacuse they knew how much money they could rake in. That's fine from a business perspective, but when that is their only apparent motivation it screws the enthusiasts that don't equal big, easy, dollar signs. This is THEIR guys saying these things. The ECU is not holding them back too much because someone at JWT has told more than several B15 guys they want to crack the ECU for the 2.5 before ours. What about the 98-99 ECU's? What's the excuse on those? Maybe it is bullshit, but I keep hearing it from different people who claim to have contacted them. Eventually you have to ask what is the likely hood of multiple people lying. So don't tell me I'm being unfair. Until I heard those things I did not really have a problem with JWT or F-MAX. I got cheesed at them a few times, but blew it off. BTW, F-Max told one of our guys to take a hike at the last minute regarding a turbo kit for the B15. He had the money, but they learned it would take effort apparentley and backed out. JWT told another of our guys they would not help in figuring out what pins to switch around to make a B14 ECU work in a B15. We've been told to **** off.

I agree with Corky's argument about a log style manifold. I don't agree with everything he wrote. However, using weld-els and then making it log style DEFEATS most of the reason for using weld-els in the first place! I will not pay $525 for that.

Maybe I am late to the game, but I learn quick. Corky was not the only source I have. Too bad if you're threatened by me refusing to bow to what you think is right. I also do have a good idea of what I'm talking about. Just because you guys are beholden to those companies doesn't mean I am. I will appreciate them when they show some appreciation for us. Some turbo Sentra guys are considered to be elitest, overbearing, close minded assholes. I see there is something to this from the responses on this thread. You morons give the good turbo guys a bad rep.

Again, pull you heads out of your asses and LEARN TO READ before you launch a personal attack. I will respond politely to anyone who questions what I say. I will flame anyone who wants to make it a personal attack. For anyone who still has a problem with me just say so.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
back in the day

Have u (meaning the B15 Guyz) tryed to use the Super AFC? It takes a bit of time to tune it but it's a good bang for the buck, and u can change your MAF without reprograming the ECU. Or you could wait for that new Greddy Eunit. If u search the archives might have been like in OCT I posted a link to it. It's alot more powerful than the AFC and cost about the same...well up till u buy the other softwear that makes it bomb bay.

http://www.takakaira.com/php/template.php3?id=684&cat=2 Take a look and read what it can do. Some people might not like cause u have to think about what you are doing :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts