SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one i'm going to need some insite on big time. The only thing keeping me from installing my trubo kit is this spot on the block for tapping the oil drain. I have the tap etc... How the bleedin hell does one do it without removing the bottom of the engine?????

[This message has been edited by cossie (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
You can get a 90 degree adapter thingy, or if you can find a really short bit, you might be able to fit it in there. Probably have to take off the fans and maybe the radiator too. Make sure you drop the oil pans to get rid of the metal shavings. Shavings in engine = lots of problems!

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
I will be pulling the bottom half of my motor while its in the car to get to the front cover and can give you more details on pulling the lower half (this is my 2nd time doing it). Heres a site though, its a good write up with pics.

http://www.brazosport.cc.tx.us/~lshadoff/turbo/

Hope it helps.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Cossie, here is a simple way of doing it with out Spending any money on some cheap 90deg bit adapter that will break anyway. First remove the front bumper remove the AC condensor, and Remove the Radiator, there you go a clean shot right at the hole.
Thats what I did, also be sure to put some padding on the support so the drill wont catch and bang your hand against it, Trust me it hurts like a bitch.

------------------

Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks a million blokes. I think I'll just have to bite the big one and take my car down to do this right. I have owned this turbo, oiled and stored away, for 2 years and need to get this thing in. I have done lots of prep work for it's install (trany, second frame, engine mounts, clutch, etc...) so I guess it's about time to do it. Thanks again. Great group on this forum.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Yeah, starting next week, my turbo is going in! It's been sitting in my closet for about a year.... I'm doing as much prep work as possible to make the install as short as possible as I'm working against a time crunch (moving, job, etc). So I've already done the clutch, ecu, injectors, motor mounts, turbo timer, half the boost controller. Going to install the gauges tomorrow in the cabin and drill the hole in the firewall to run all the crap through. I have all the oil fittings ready to go and hook up the turbo, oil line, oil temp, and oil pressure. I also had the exhaust manifold extrude honed and swain thermal coated. Had the exhaust elbow coated too but didn't get it extrude honed($$$); instead, I took a dremel to it to smooth out the inside. Did a pretty good job if I do say so myself
Ah, can't wait to get this **** done with!

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20:
Cossie, here is a simple way of doing it with out Spending any money on some cheap 90deg bit adapter that will break anyway. First remove the front bumper remove the AC condensor, and Remove the Radiator, there you go a clean shot right at the hole.
Thats what I did, also be sure to put some padding on the support so the drill wont catch and bang your hand against it, Trust me it hurts like a bitch.

</font>
Um, wouldn't this require PURGING THE FREON?!?!? The radiator is not a problem, but messing with my A/C system is a HUGE one for me. I thought someone said on the list that if you removed the fans and the radiator you could (since you are angling the drill) fit a drill and bit right in there.

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thomas Reynolds:
Um, wouldn't this require PURGING THE FREON?!?!? The radiator is not a problem, but messing with my A/C system is a HUGE one for me. I thought someone said on the list that if you removed the fans and the radiator you could (since you are angling the drill) fit a drill and bit right in there.</font>
Yeah it requires you to purge the system,
It's not that huge of a Job, If they said that Id like to see them do it, the drill wont hit the angle you need by doing that, so either remove the ac and radiator, or get a 90deg drill bit, that may break. It's not that hard your making it sound worse then it really is. Also their are 2 ways to get rid of the Shavings 1 drain the oil and remove the pan or, Drill it with the oil in it then tap it then fush the system and change the oil. Ive never done it the second way but I heard it works with no problems.

------------------

Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll remove the pans and set it up so the shavings don't get tossed around. Paper towels or some thing such as in the block where i'm drilling. I already have a 90* drill chuck so i'll pass on removing all the fun stuff. Just want to thank all of you for giving me all of this info. Just one of those projects I'll have to do when I have time.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Should have jumped in here earlier...

I did this as well. Actually, my metalworking dad did. We removed the fans and had just enough room to get the correct angle with the drill bit and tap. Didn't have to remove the radiator, AC, just the fans (and stock header of course). Didn't even have a 90 degree thingy. It can be done, but better be done by an expert, like my dad.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Should have jumped in here earlier...

I did this as well. Actually, my metalworking dad did. We removed the fans and had just enough room to get the correct angle with the drill bit and tap. Didn't have to remove the radiator, AC, just the fans (and stock header of course). Didn't even have a 90 degree thingy. It can be done, but better be done by an expert, like my dad.

</font>
And-there-you-go...Mike

Thomas

------------------

'97 200SX SE-R
JWT ECU, Place CAI

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thomas Reynolds:
And-there-you-go...Mike

Thomas

</font>
My Drill bit was too long

------------------

Mike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts