SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
YOUR F0RUM SUX
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the thing... Gotta SE-L.. and I want to turbo someday. I don't plan on getting rid of the car anytime soon. I want to keep it as long as I can. And I'm slowly working on it as I can afford it. It has 106k miles on it and runs great.

What i want to know is... should I turbo the stock engine or should I just drop in a new one? I have like 5 payments left on it... So I will have the money to save up after that. Plus... I want some power I want to put out at least 250.. And I don't know if its worth it on a engine with such high milage

What do you guys think?

Also... i'm going to do all the bolt on.. but I would like to do this all at once.. And make sure everything is all well before I start a nice new life with her. :)

·
Me likes Big Ol Booties!
1,161 Posts
Turbo the stock engine. SR20DE can take it!

Just make sure you take your time, piece together what you want, then install/get it installed.

Side note...you could always go to a shop (isn't that AD Fab in FL?) and get to know exactly what you want (for 250whp you can easily get a T28, gt28r, etc).

I know that some places will let you send deposits and keep that credit running for you and a maybe 6 months down the road, you will have exactly what you want and not have to come out of pocket $4k or whatever all at once. Just a thought.

Now, 2nd option is to buy the sr20det motor, then slowly buy bolt-ons (pulleys/cams). It all depends on if you are doing this yourself, or will be going to a shop to get it done.

·
YOUR F0RUM SUX
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you think 106k miles if not 110k would be ok? My man concern is that I can still take the parts later in time if still good, and swap them to a newer motor.

And I do plan on haveing a shop do the work. Seeing I don't have the space or resources to do the work. I would love to be able to do it myself. But don't have much of any idea what I would be doing.

I know of a short parts list that I would need. I.E. motor mounts pullies... etc.. just to name a few non-turbo bolt ons. From what i have heard good and bad.. JGY is a good place to get turbo goodies. But don't really know. I guess when I get around to getting the money and list together that would be a good time to start looking around at someone to get the parts from.

·
Me likes Big Ol Booties!
1,161 Posts
Do a search on here, I've seen people post that they've gone more than 110k before turbo'ing. Just make sure you go to a reputable shop. I had mine done at JGY and I highly recommend them, but you are way down in FL. I would just pick a closer shop (why I recommended the AD Fab) and let them handle everything. It's not very good to buy parts, then go to a shop to get it installed. That's like swearing in church!!! There is no guarantee on parts and if something fails, it's a b.... to get it fixed. Since you have 5 more payments to go, just search some in the turbo section and see what other people have and when Spring comes around, start picking out the pieces you want.

·
Technician @ Toyota
2,852 Posts
ima most likely turbo my sr20 this winter, it should hold 250whp at least.i say go for it put a turbo on but take it easy tapping the oil drain.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
turbo'd mine 20k miles ago.. still running fine. u'll be satisified with a t25, but u'll want more power later.

·
Blast From The Past...
1,994 Posts
There are countless posts and threads on the forum, stating how some members are boosting there high mileage sr20's. As long as you have done the scheduled maintainace ie: oil, tuneup etc...You should be fine and you could also do a compression test to check your motor but, I think you will be fine. Just research and research again to find out exactly what you want to do as far as setup, mods and how much you are willing/want to spend. Let us know how your turbo project goes!!

·
finally got a classic
631 Posts
ive herd of some real high milage still seeing track time and putting down very impressive number, so i think i will be fine, planning on doing the install this winter so when spring time rolls around ill be able to roll around in my new toy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts