SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a question..i dont know how stupid it may seen but ive been curious...if you can change your booste settings ..can you turn your boost to 0 to save your turbo?..will it work, will it save your turbo when your just driving it around...or is this a bad thing.why would this be?.im not turbo..but it just something im not sure about...thanks

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
No, how much you boost depends mostly on your wastgate spring, and I dont know anyone that makes a zero setting. If you dont want to boost just take it easy on the gas and dont MASH it. Just put around town.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YeloBlammo:
just a question..i dont know how stupid it may seen but ive been curious...if you can change your booste settings ..can you turn your boost to 0 to save your turbo?..will it work, will it save your turbo when your just driving it around...or is this a bad thing.why would this be?.im not turbo..but it just something im not sure about...thanks</font>

------------------

Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
You can make your turbo boost Zero Psi! Unhook the intercooler piping from the turbo. But WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT? If it's MPG your worring about you shouldn't even put a turbo on the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Turbo's aren't so fragile that they need saving. The last one I pulled off my car had done 65000 hard miles at 1 1/2 to double the boost it was intended to run and was pretty much as good as new. The only way I could see it being done is if you ran an external wastegate with a flapper to cover the outlet to the turbine (ala mark IV supra or FD RX7). The car however would drive like a pig, without the hairdryer a turbo motor is just a low compression motor with retarded timing and an enormous blockage in the exhaust.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didnt say i wanted to save gas or anything..it was just a question if it was possible, and if it was if it would be a good idea...i was just curous thats all..

G

·
As long as exhaust gas is hitting the turbine you will get some minimum amount of boost. You may be able to rig up something to keep the wastegate open that would allow enough air to bypass the turbo that no noticeable boot would be produced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts