SR20 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered a Garrett turbo off of a stock Talon TSi with manifold for 100 dollars today. IT's in good condition. Is this a good buy? I wasn't planning on going turbo, but I think this is a good start on my path towards turbodom. Any thoughts?
(If I decide to get it, I'd have to sell an MTX blue thunder sub for the $$...anyone interested??)
-Steve NA-NX2000...(for now)

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Probably not the best of buys. First off, the manifold will be of no use to you since it won't bolt up to your engine so toss that out. Second, depending on the flange on the turbo (not sure what turbo a DSM uses, I'm assuming something like a T25) it probably won't bolt up to a DET manifold (BB or GTi-R) since it's a DSM flange. So, you'd have to get a DET manifold and modify the flange to bolt up to this turbo or make a custom manifold. Then comes the condition of the turbo. It may seem OK, but until you actually inspect it right, you won't know for sure. Soo, you'll probably just ending rebuilding it and spending more money there. Just wait and look on the classifieds; every once and a while you see a DET manifold with either a T25 or a T28 for that manifold for pretty cheap, which means no fabrication (at least not on the manifold) and it's all bolt-on. So basically, no, this probably isn't that good of a buy

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help and for preventing me from making an impulse buy that I would have regretted!

I'll do some more research before I jump into anything...
-Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts