SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those of you that don't know Jeff (aka King Jefff), he races a GT3037 powered SE-R in the West Coast SE-R Cup. He races under the Buckfang Racing Team banner. The car has had its troubles, but is starting to get sorted and is wicked fast. It is a full out racecar. Anyway, here's the report from the entry into the Sport Compact Car/Super Street Time Attack Challenge last Tueday:

Buckfang Racing Team entered the #99 SE-R in the innagural Sport Compact Car/Super Street Time Attack Challenge. The format was simple: there was a one hour morning practice session for everyone and then cars would be divided into three groups and each group would get four sessions to set the fast time of the day. It wasn't the normal road racing we do; the goal was to just set the fastest lap time. The cars were divided into six classes: FWD Limited, FWD Unlimited, RWD Limited, RWD Unlimited, AWD Limited and AWD Unlimited and we'd all run Buttonwillow configuration #13 clockwise.

With Friend of the 'Fang and NASA-LA Executive Director Ryan Flaherty driving, the #99 car managed to finish 5th out of 37 cars. Beating a ton of WRX'es, Evos and such tuner cars as the Science of Speed NSX, Hotchkis' Celica (300 hp), a pair of USCC Supras, both of the Twins Turbo Supras (even the one with 850 hp), a tubeframe RX-7 and the Skunk2 Civic, among others. The only cars that finished ahead of us were the Signal Auto Time Attack Skyline GT-R (car and driver imported driver from Japan), a modified Ferrari 360 with Hoosiers driven by a pro, the Sparco Evo and a supercharged K24 powered Integra driven by the guy that owns the ITA track record for the configuration we were running. Not too shabby for a strut-based car that had 4 rocker shims floating around in the oil pan!

We were just up at Buttonwillow April 3rd and 4th for the NASA SE-R Cup Race, so the car camped out at the track for a few days until the Time Attack event. There was minor work to be done in recovering from the weekend: the front air damn needed to be replaced because of a major off Jeff had at the end of the race on Sunday. And since it was a magazine event, we needed to clean the car up a little. (Ok, so that didn't happen.) Anyway, after test-fitting Ryan into the car and getting this fitted for him, we sent him out on a shakedown for the first open session trying to set a time that would put us in the fastest group, Group A.

Since we had a lot of new things for the Cup Race, we'd setup the car with the conservative spring package that we knew would work with the new, bigger wheels until we could get some more testing done. Turns out Ryan hated the combo and Jeff was frantically making tire pressure and rear dampening changes to get the car to handle more to Ryan's liking.

The next session out (first Group A session) was a major improvement in car handling and Ryan showed it by running a 2:01.540- just a few tenths behind John Hotchkis in the Hotchkis Celica putting us 3rd in the FWD Unlimited category. The car was better, but more changes were needed- a little more front toe out and a little more rear compression dampening. The car still was pushing because of the conservative springs. The second session brought times down even further, to 2:00.800, just behind Hotchkis with a 2:00.420 and Bernardo Martinez in the Hasport K24 Integra with a blistering 1:58.745.

It was at this time that Ryan and Jeff came to the same independent solution: instead of trying to reduce the rear grip to ease the understeering problem, the car needed more front tire. Before I knew it the both of them were off running. It just so happened that the Buttonwillow Tire Shop was open and they happened to provide a solution courtesy of the good people at the Hoosier Tire and Rubber Company. After all, most of the competitors were running on Hoosiers and had pro drivers, so why not get into the game? Unfortunately the shop didn't have any 235/45 sized 17 inch tires. But it turns out that 245/45-17s would fit. With little time to spare, the tires were mounted and Ryan got out on track.

At first it didn't look good because we were a little late getting out for this group. The afternoon heat was in full effect and no one from Group A managed to improve their times. But the new tires did the trick- the #99 clicked through the timing loop with a 1:59.400- within a second of the class leader! The session ended and a tire pressures were checked in anticipation of the final session.

In the fourth and last session, Ryan and Bernardo went out one behind the other and there was tension in the air that this would be the battle of the titans and fast lap would be set in this session. It was a head to head showdown. Both started out slowly and improved, Ryan got down to a 1:59.242 and Bernardo still wasn't able to improve his best time. Less than half a second away now and Ryan was bringing the car up to speed for a "hot" lap. (He was alternating slow and fast laps to cool the car down in an attempt to get a better single lap time.) Ryan set a blistering pace and was hauling around the track. Ahead of him the Endless/5Zigen Civic was puking oil on the track because of a blown motor. As it came into the hot pit it the oil caught on fire and the bottom of the car burst into a fireball! The fire truck rolled down the hotpits and all flagging stations showed full course black. Ryan was coming into the last turn before the straight as he saw the standing black and fire truck and slowed to a stop. In what was surely the fasted FWD lap of the day, he eased to a stop right on the timing loop clicking off a 2:05 lap. The session was stopped, all the cars came in and the oil was cleaned off the track. After a 35 minute delay Group A was sent back out, but it wasn't meant to be. Buckfang would have to settle for second and fight again next year.

The highlight of the day was the third session when Ryan went out just behind the Science of Speed NSX. The NSX had carbon fiber everything, Moton dampeners, built motor and huge fender flares. Ryan figured he would stay as close as he could because eventually it would walk away from him and he'd have open track to set a good time. But coming on to the front straight (after sticking with him for the whole lap), Ryan decided to try and get a run and pass him. They cornered nose-to-tail and Ryan pulled to the inside and the drag race was on! I have to say there is nothing like watching a Sentra OWN an NSX down the front straight. Ryan said the NSX driver was shaking his head as he passed. He ended up turning laps 2 seconds faster than the NSX. It was awesome.

All in all it wasn't a bad event. "The Little Sentra That Could" made an impressive showing, beating out a whole host of tuner and well-known cars. You can check out the a partial list here. Be sure to check Sport Compact Car for coverage of the event. Buckfang would like to thank Ryan Flaherty for his excellent driving and our sponsor 300Degree for their excellent diagnostic tools. Rest assured we'll be back. Ryan says we've got at least 3 or 4 seconds left in the #99 so next time we'll be shooting for the Skyline!

Thanks to Jared from SCC for putting on a great event. We can't wait for the next one!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also want to thank Tom Paule and Rob Cadle for their support of racing in the SE-R Cup and Mike Kojima for constant support of the series and help making turbo power race reliable.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Thats just straight up HARDCORE!!

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
ah, thats why we call him "King" Jeff! He might just have had the first gti-r swap in the US.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
yeah straight up hard core for sure. Was that guy running a DET or a DE+turbo?? Either way good news to see a turbo se-r can be a potent weapon on a road course. I wonder how that guy deals with the overheating issues on our cars.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
NICELY DONE BRUTHA MAN! Keep up the great work. Gotta love those High Dollar cars getting pounded upon by a little guy. :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Salvisol82 said:
yeah straight up hard core for sure. Was that guy running a DET or a DE+turbo?? I wonder how that guy deals with the overheating issues on our cars.
It is a DE + turbo. JDM DE's are easier and cheaper to come by and in the beginning we were blowing up quite a few.

Jeff has cured the overheating with a huge-ass Fluidyne radiator. So big it didn't fit without some modification. Here's a pic of the opening, with reinforced bottom support:

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
That's awesome, I am can't wait to read about it in SCC...

That's gotta be the cleanest engine bay I have every seen... looks like a brand new front clip!

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
They cornered nose-to-tail and Ryan pulled to the inside and the drag race was on! I have to say there is nothing like watching a Sentra OWN an NSX down the front straight. Ryan said the NSX driver was shaking his head as he passed. He ended up turning laps 2 seconds faster than the NSX. It was awesome.

What I would of paid too see thta^^^^^^

·
fabricator
841 Posts
The NSX was a carbon-fiber widebody, built motor, moton damper car from scienceofspeed.com.

As Jim said, the car has a DE + 3037 and a monster radiator. It runs plenty cool. 110 octane plus water injection. We are running 235-40-17 Toyo RA-1s with the fenders flared a little. At the event, they were able to mount up some even wider 245s without a problem. This was all after overrevving the motor on Saturday and breaking two rockers. The rockers were replaced and the shims are floating around somewhere. The PAR gears worked well until the end of tuesday - it now pops out of 4th so we'll have to see what's up with that.

andris

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Whats the power and torque numbers on this beast??? Also going with more rubber in the front helped with what?

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
any more pics from the event?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow! Great work on the car and the driving. I have always wanted the Time Attack format to take off in America. There are a lot of performance products and tuners out there, many build very pretty show cars. Time Attack seperates the racers from the ricers, I hope this sparks a movement. I would love to see a JGY prepped car own a record at VIR, or Andreas Miko at a Florida track (Daytona, ha). Will this be annual for SCC?

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Salvisol82 said:
Whats the power and torque numbers on this beast??? Also going with more rubber in the front helped with what?
about 250hp and similar torque with the boost controller off. ~290 at a bar, maybe? To make the car rotate more, you can subtract grip from the rear or add it to the front. Obviously, adding more grip to the total is better than subtracting it when possible. The car wasn't turning all that well because of some mismatched spring rates, so they tried to compensate by adding more front grip.

andris

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
a classic with 245's has got to be dead sexy...it's really nice to see a sentra competing with the big boys. There's no video of this event? I'd really like to see Time Attack take off in America, it just sounds enticing/really fun to watch to me.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gottabfast said:
There's no video of this event? I'd really like to see Time Attack take off in America, it just sounds enticing/really fun to watch to me.
Someone else might have video, but we've just got some boring in-car stuff. Pretty boring since there are no passes on the tape.

You'll have to wait for the issue of Sport Compact Car for more pics. The article isn't even written yet!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gottabfast said:
a classic with 245's has got to be dead sexy...it's really nice to see a sentra competing with the big boys. There's no video of this event? I'd really like to see Time Attack take off in America, it just sounds enticing/really fun to watch to me.
It is actually pretty boring to watch. Since there is basically no head-to-head racing it is sorta like watching hotlapping. Fun to do, terrible to watch. The only way it would be interesting is if someone condensed it down into a highlight reel and maybe a 15 minute short. Watching 6 hours of cars go around in circles is pretty boring just to catch one lap- and I love road racing.

·
Boost Addict
1,451 Posts
This is great to see. It shows just how potent a tuned sr20 can be. Great job guyz, can't wait to read about it. Keep representing for us.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts