SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried turbocharging a Euro or Japanese spec SR20DE? These come with slightly higher compression than the US spec motors (10:1 vs 9.5:1) which should mean you can run less boost without detonation.

Has anyone tried this, and what levels of boost were you able to run? And what did this relate to in hp terms?

I'm basically looking into turbocharging my Euro spec Primera, but I can't decide how best to do it. Either 1) turbo the existing SR20DE with 10:1 compression, 2) do the same but source some DET/GTi-R pistons to drop the compression to 8.3:1, or 3) scrap the SR20DE and drop in a genuine SR20DET.

One more thing - where did you guys get the oil feed from when you did your homemade turbo conversions? Did you just drill out the blank where the DET oil feed goes, and then another one near the sump for an oil return?

------------------
1997 UK spec P11 Primera
http://www.primeraweb.co.uk

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Source the oil feed from the oil sending unit, just tee it out and run a line to the front, I don't know of anyone whos turboed the 10:1 DE.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
You should be able to do it as long as you have the ECU properly tuned. If you get the BB DET mani,turbo,370cc injectors,custom FMIC and a good tuned ECU(Can you get JWT in the UK?) you should be able to run the stock DET boost level witch is 7psi(I think..) I'm not to sure but I think you'd be in the 215hp range with the higher compression.

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't get JWT stuff directly in the UK, although I guess I could import it if I didn't mind paying an arm and a leg.

What I'll probably do instead is get a Unichip fitted. This will allow the A/F mixture and timing to be set for various rpm/throttle levels, as well as the boost. I can also adjust the rev-limiter with it, so I'm not losing too much by the lack of JWT stuff here in the UK.

Thanks for the info... my turbo itch is increaing more by the day

------------------
1997 UK spec P11 Primera
http://www.primeraweb.co.uk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts