SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, i dont believe drag racing *duck can hold a candle to road racing. So with that said i was wondering how a turbo would do in road racing. I also understand that SCC is going to turbocharge thier project car, is this really a good move? I understand hustling down the straights is a good thing but what about reliability when pushing even low boost on a strenuous track.

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Well, why would a turbo cause any less reliability? there's plenty of turbocharged cars that hold up fine at "lapping evets".

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i am asking whether my presumption is correct or not. I have noticed a trend that most turbo se-r's are drag cars. I am asking if the turbo is impractical or if the road racer's money has been spent on that coilover suspension, sticky rubber, and track time/instructions leaving no money for a turbo?

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Makes sense. Tires alone can break the bank if you're a club racer or regular lapper.

Boy, but if you can afford to go turbo, you'll go turbo. Just seeing one of our cars being driven under boost is enough to make you a solid convert.

From what I've read, turbos can be practical, or they can be bombs. I've seen a couple of stock DETs overheat with moderate hard running, but I've also seen big turbo SR20s that have been driven at track days regularly and driven halfway across the country. The SEaRl/Besterwich 200SX has been in SCC as a poster-car of street/track reliability, and it was driven to Texas from CA when I saw it.

I guess you just have to keep them cool - high-octane fuel, Water Wetter in the radiator, moderate boost, water injection, etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
yup, upgraded fans arent ever a bad idea, and of course close inspection of the fuel/air mixture is a must, but with all that in good shape reliability shouldnt ever be a problem. but for road racing a supercharger would be more to your liking (if there is one available to the classic), b/c the power is across the whole powerband.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
IMO, the big limiting factor on turbo SE-R's is tire size. The widest tire you can run is a 225, and that's with really squeezing them on. On a stock-ish DET, grip would be on the ragged edge. You go much further with turbo upgrades and engine mods, it will be difficult to put the power down.

If I really wanted to turbo an SR20 and run it on a road course, I would find a RWD SR20DET and drop it into a 240. :cool:

A

·
0 Posts
KikoSanchez182 said:
yup, upgraded fans arent ever a bad idea, and of course close inspection of the fuel/air mixture is a must, but with all that in good shape reliability shouldnt ever be a problem. but for road racing a supercharger would be more to your liking (if there is one available to the classic), b/c the power is across the whole powerband.
Nopers. No SC for da SR20.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
FWIW I'm planning on road racing my SE-R (or whatever it ends up being), and in fact road racing was one of the things we had in mind while building my motor and buying parts.

To try to compensate for the huge heat and stress cause by road racing and a turbocharger, we did things like hand-porting the water passage to try to reduce water pump cavitation, I got the full set of Unorthodox Racing underdrive pullies, also in an attempt to reduce cavitation and to free up HP in general... I have a Nissan motorsports radiator, I have a pair of large 2500cfm puller fans from Summit Racing (it feels like a wind tunnel when they turn on), water injection to reduce intake temps (and obviously an intercooler as well), my turbine housing is coated with Swain's White Lightning heat barrier to reduce underhood temps. I also plan on coating my entire exhaust manifold with White Lightning as well.

Then I have some internal work such as head porting and polishing, which increases efficiency, piston coolers from a DET, GTiR main bearings for 360 degree oiling, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting about.

I also want to install an external oil cooler and remote filter kit at some point, and possibly even a tranny cooler. Both should help quite a bit in addition to everything else.

Aside from the cooling issues, it should prove to be interesting road racing with a powerful turbo system. My turbo is a GT30/37, full ball bearing and very efficient. It starts making positive boost at 3100 RPM and is at full boost by 3700. This should be plenty sufficient for road racing, because in NA SE-Rs even that is lower than where you want to be... normally you'd want to be above 4000 when you downshift before a turn so you can power out of it. In fact, this gives me a bit of a larger powerband than NA SE-Rs have, making each gear a bit more usable. I also have a Quaife limited slip diff, which is a very important advantage. That diff should limit my wheelspin to reasonable amounts while road racing, and save me a lot of money on tires.

Tires of course is an important point. If I'm not careful I'll end up shredding them long before their time. I guess it will come down to careful application of the throttle. I am planning on running 225s in the front, too.

I think preventing the tranny from breaking is an important factor too. I've had the case welded and the gears shotpeened and cryo-treated, so there's not much more I can do there. I think the tranny cooler might prove to be a valuable addition, especially with the addition of the Quaife diff generating extra heat in there, and other than that all I can really do is try to take it easy and not power shift or abuse the tranny. The car will certainly be more than fast enough that I won't need to punish the tranny needlessly.

And that's what I think so far. I haven't had a chance to try it all out yet, but I will eventually, hopefully after I get a tranny cooler installed.

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOWZERS Please tell us what kind of results you have when your all done.

In the mean while, do any of the head honcho sr20 gurus have a modded turbo with handling capabilities?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts