roads can I keep traction through second. I'm running 205/50-15 Toyo Proxes
T1+ tires, the same tires Searl ran in the Ultimate SE-R article in SCC,
which is reprinted on SE-R.net.

"215/40-17 Toyo Proxes T-1 Plus tires were installed at each corner. ... The
T-1's are some of the most sticky non-race compound rubber you can buy. On
other cars we have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of tenacious
grip that these tire can provide."

Well I have these and in the size I have, they do not provide near enough
grip. I was curious what ya'll do for more grip.

Has anyone with a turbo that was able to fit 225s been satisfied with the
amount of grip they have? Or is it still not enough for 250hp to the wheels
and less?

Has anyone fitted wider wheels using offset wheels, spacers, or even
bodywork to roll the fenders?

Does anyone drive around on race rubber like Nitto 555Rs or similar tires?
Does this satisfy the need for grip in 205 wide rubber?

Just trying to find a solution to this problem. It's the most annoying thing
about the car now. I know I don't have LSD, but I've driven Ben Moses'
DETized 92 SE-R and it's the same way.

What would ya'll recommend I do for a solution?

Ben Davis
98 Sentra SE Turbo
"Lemme show you how fast it is...
spiiiiiiiinnnnhophophophophopSHIFThophophophophopspiiiiiiiiiin6kGRAB!....shift!"

[Edited by Ben98SentraSE (12-08-2000 at 11:06 PM).]

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Ben I would say your best bet would be a boost controller to keep the power down in the lower gears what are ya running? 7,9,10psi? I spin first from about 5k to redline on my NA I'm sure boosted would be nasty!!!!!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7psi. First just blow away from somewhere between 3-3.5k. 2nd on anything but concrete road jumps from 3.5k to 6k and stays until the tires catch up.

I don't want to decrease my power! I want to increase traction!

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Rubber cement mahn! Soake your tires in it over night and strap them on in the morning
hehe j/k I have no clue what to tell you except it will get better when the weather gets warmer. Tis the season man.

·
B13 Se-r Godfather
1,418 Posts
ben i used 225/50/16 on my eclipse gst....i was running 19 psi on the street,i would spin 1st veery hard but in 2nd it would grab like a beast... by the way these were dunlop sp8000.... these will help your traction problem... i ran [email protected] in the 1/4 with these...but on the slicks it was a [email protected] you can see the difference...before the sp8000 i was running proxes and i would spin through 3rd and bark 4th... i did nt have good luck with the toyo's....

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Ahh GST's have "eaw dbu daa" drive tranes. I think the only way to fix your problem is to run drag radials on the street.

The only thing that sucks about them is A) when you let them sit over night the get flat spots. The spots go away but its a PITA to drive off in the morning and have the car shaking like a cheap motel bed. B) they handle like ****. Taking corners suck because they like to plow and role on the soft side walls.

------------------
Mike
98sentraSE Turbo
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/mgoss/Page2.html

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well maybe not the older style ones. The newer type ones like Nitto 555R and Yokohama A032R I don't think would do that like your traditional Hoosiers or Mickey Thompsons. Just pulling this out of my ass though really.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nitto 555R:

Yokohama A032R:

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And if you're lucky the Yoko's last 10k, the Nittos 15k!

G

·
I like the Yoko's just cuz they look cool.

------------------
MarC

96 w/ very little stuff
AIM SER96MarC

[This message has been edited by ser_200sx (edited 12-10-2000).]

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
yokohama makes a totally kick ass tire. I would go with them. nitto is ****. I have had both on my car and a nt450 would only last me about 6-8k as a a520 will last me alot longer (3x) nitto is a really overrated tire and would never put a set on my car again (unless someone gave me a set)

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
yokohama makes a totally kick ass tire. I would go with them. nitto is ****. I have had both on my car and a nt450 would only last me about 6-8k as a a520 will last me alot longer (3x) nitto is a really overrated tire and would never put a set on my car again (unless someone gave me a set)

</font>
NT450s Suck you can't compare all of the Nitto line with one model of tire.

The Nitto Drag Radials are good tires. They handle really well (some guys autox on them) and once warmed up stick like mad. I cut consistent 2.0's on them running low 14's.

Yoko's are good but they are not straight line tires. The Nitto is designed to put power down in a straight line.

------------------

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Nitto 555Rs seem to be quite a bit less expensive than those Yokos as well. I've found the 555Rs online here http://www.easycart.com/onlinetires/NITTO_TIRES.html for $102 a tire in 205/45-15. They don't have a lot of size choices and that's as close as they come to 195/55-15 or 205/50-15. Any place anyone knows of to find good prices on Nitto tires?

Are there any tires I'm not considering in this class with real tread?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also could I get away with running drag radials on the front and other tires on the rear? Like RE730s or something? Hate to waste such grippy straightline tires on the back doing nothing if I don't have to.

(yes I'm cheap
)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here's the differences in the Nittos and the Yokos. The Yokos are Solo2,racing tires. The Nittos are drag radials. You can use both tires as drag radials, but the Nittos would produce better results. A friend of mine used Nitto 555Rs on his Civic to autocross, and he did a great job with them. The downside of both tires are the LOW treadwear ratings(less than 100), and the increased road noise. I love to drive with my Kumho V700s, but they like to follow the ruts in the road, and they howl like 4X4 tires.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, the nitto statement was kinda overdramatic. I know that the drag radials stick really good, but why would you drive those around on the street unless you wanted to burn up some money doing so? (tirewise)

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
or better yet, take the turbo off your car, give it to me, and you would not have to worry about traction

------------------

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well brian when yer FWD and turbo you don't have much of a choice except drag radials if you want traction. You wanna hit the NOS in 1st? Can't do it with the tire. Otherwise putz around town until you can get a long road where you can hit it in 3rd. 2nd gear rolling burnouts are NOT a problem.

[This message has been edited by Ben98SentraSE (edited 12-11-2000).]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts