SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to do an oil change myself for once, and am wondering what type of oil and filter i should be useing. I have been getting it done at the local jiffy lube, but im getting sick of that. So im thinking now might be a good time to go synthetic too, but will that do any harm switching from regular to synthetic like that. Also i think my fuel filter is due for a change, 56K and i have never changed it that i know of :)

·
_______
2,170 Posts
It shouldn't do any harm.

I think the OEM Nissan filters are good, and I recently switched to Mobil 1.

I was using Castrol before that, which is also good oil, judging from the good shape my 180,000 km cam lobes were in.

However, Castrol is a cracked petrochemical and not a "true" synthetic oil.

Interesting username. Looked almost like mine at first!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of Mobil 1? or is there a type? I really dont know anything about motor oil, so i mean like what weight and what not. thanks for all the help, im still a SR20DE lightweight :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I researched oil filters pretty heavily. The best ones are the Puralotor PureOne, K&N/Mobil 1, and Nissan. I used the PureOne PN#PL10241. It isn't specified for the sr20, but the specs are almost identical. And it filters down to a rediculous amount.

As for oil. Mobil 1 5W-30, nothing but the best for my baby!

Definitely change the fuel filter as well. You can pick up whatever one at AutoZone or PepBoys. Just be sure to pull the fuel pump fuse first. Then start the car until it stalls. After that, just use some needle nose pliers to push the hoses off of the old filter. It's pretty easy to do. Just take your time with the tubing, it's a PITA to get off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New question...
Like i said i have 56K miles on the car, and i was just browseing the SE-R-List archives and saw a bunch of decussions on not switching to synthetic on high mile cars. Would 56K be high miles? Also if i do the switch, will i never be able to go back to dino juice?

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's not very high mileage. And if you ever wanted to switch back to the "dark side" you could. It just has to do with very high mile cars and gaskets. The synthetic oil lubricates them and if they are very old they may leak. You won't be affected.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Before you run off and get fuel filters, air filters and the like from your local Pep Boys, Autozone, etc, check online at a discount Nissan dealer. Chances are their prices are better than third party. I know this is true for fuel filters.

About fuel filters. I had a Fram come apart on my in my 82' 200SX. Went to change it one day and found it clunking on the inside. Cut it open and found the filter became unbonded from the outlet flange, so essentially fuel was not being filtered.

Never again will I use non-oem fuel filters, alternators, starters, ignitions parts.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I use a K&N Filter and Royal Purple Synthetic 10w-30w.

Art

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
I use the Nissan oil filter with Amsoil 7500 mile 5w-30 oil. (I can go to 7500 miles before changing). One of the best setups that I have. Castrol is good too. I used that in my 2000 Frontier Desert Runner before switching to Amsoil. But I have always used a Nissan filter. I tried a Castrol oil filter on my Frontier and when I changed my oil it felt alittle funny (like gritty almost), so I said no more of that and back to Nissan filters. When I had my '89 CRX I used only Honda filters because I knew a friend that had done EXTENSIVE research on them and it had about twice as much filtering power/area over the Fram I was using. Whoah!

·
Registered
513 Posts
One thing about extending oil changes. Keep in mind that chemicals do disolve into the oil over time. After awhile, they will reach toxic levels and damage internal engine components. Large amounts of idling and starting your engine will increase the levels of the dissolved chemicals. This is not good. So, depends on your driving style.

On a side note, I don't trust a damn thing made by Fram. I've heard tons of bad things about them. Also, remember that the mobil1 oil filter is the same as the K&N except for the little molded nut on the top of the K&N to help ease installation.

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
kpw97 said:
On a side note, I don't trust a damn thing made by Fram. I've heard tons of bad things about them. Also, remember that the mobil1 oil filter is the same as the K&N except for the little molded nut on the top of the K&N to help ease installation.
I've never used a fram on my se-r and probably never will, but I've used them on every other car I've owned. There cheap pos, but when yer dealing with 500-1000 dollar cars, who cares? Btw, I always used 'em (and still do) because of that grippy crap they put on the end of 'em. I love that stuff, no fooling around with filter wrenches or crap like that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've used Fram filters and Castrol dino since new without any problems- 184,000 miles and it runs fine. The only thing I've changed is the battery (at 170,000) and the chain tensioner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nissan OEM filter and mobil one, two qts
5w30- two qts 10w30 for the winter months
and striaght 10w30 for the rest of the year. I switch over to mobil one at 111,000 miles,
NO PROBLEMS. One thing I found that Mobil one
5w30 seems to be too thin for a 50,000+ mileage car. Blend one qt of 10w30 Mobil one to your next oil change, if your running
Mobil one 5w30 year round, for a better
"OIL FILM".

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
Genuine Nissan Filter and Mobil 1 Synthetic... Nuff Said...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts