SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I jump on the throttle my car takes off till around 4500 rpm. At that point the engine and exhaust get louder till redline but it doesn't pull like it used to. I have over 100k and as far I can see its in great condition, the oil looks like new when its changed and never burns it either, could the timing chain tensioner help this? Also my timing is set to 17 and i always use 91 octane, is it too high?

If I can work all of this out i may just turbo this motor instead of doing a swap.

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

·
Registered
858 Posts
check the simple stuff like even an old vacuum hose makes the car run shitty. I found a little one by the intake manifold about 4 inches long that was rotted out and fell apart in my hands and replaced it. now the car runs better.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! JW 50 shot is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would something like that make a small whistling sound under acceleration? Its the most annoying thing in the world. Its only audible between 1500 and 2300rpm.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bwilsor:
Would something like that make a small whistling sound under acceleration? Its the most annoying thing in the world. Its only audible between 1500 and 2300rpm. </font>
exhaust leak maybe ?

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When I jump on the throttle my car takes off till around 4500 rpm. At that point the engine and exhaust get louder till redline but it doesn't pull like it used to. </font>
Kinda sounds like a lack of spark. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?

Any kind of intake or exhaust leak could cause the whistling, but it's probably exhaust. I don't know if its severe enough to cuase your to be down on power.

Your timing should be fine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can definitly say its not an exhuast leak. I have taken it to three mechanics and each of them couldn't find anything. I have already replaced the flex pipe fixed a weld crack at the muffler. It comes from the passenger side and towards the bottom of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KICK ASS MATT:
How clean is yor throttle body...how clean is your air filte...how clean is your fuel filter...</font>
The TB was cleaned when I installed the CAI, I replaced the Fuel filter and plugs at the end of summer. But I'm going to the $tealership on Friday after work to buy all of the tune-up stuff. BTW anyone know how hard the tensioner is to install?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Clogging cat perhaps? You've got some miles on that thing.

What I'm thinking is the restriction in flow from a clogged cat should be much more epronounced at higher rpms when you're really movin' air into/out of the engine. At low rpms, there's probably enough flow that you don't notice a problem. This sound right to anyone?

Matt

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bwilsor:
When I jump on the throttle my car takes off till around 4500 rpm. At that point the engine and exhaust get louder till redline but it doesn't pull like it used to. I have over 100k and as far I can see its in great condition, the oil looks like new when its changed and never burns it either, could the timing chain tensioner help this? Also my timing is set to 17 and i always use 91 octane, is it too high?

If I can work all of this out i may just turbo this motor instead of doing a swap.

</font>
Sounds like a dying clogged cat. If you replace the cat make sure you replace the O2 at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts