SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon i had my rod bearings replaced
and main bearings checked. They all were measured and within spec. From what my friend
they all looked fine. He went ahead and replaced all the rod bearings, so hopefully the start up /cold knock goes away. Would anyone know if the wrist pins being damaged behave in this manner? It knock under no load as idle is dropping when car is fully warmed up it dissapears. these bearings were replced NEW when motor was put in 20-25k ago.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
I don't mean for this to sound stupid.. but are you sure it was internal?
Something outside against or around the engine in the engine bay might have been cliclkin or whatever when the motor was cold (and running a bit rougher) than when it is warm (and smooth, love that sr20)

KNow what I mean? I just had a fit when I started up my 10:1 DET to hear a knock.. only to realize that the "dogbone" mount in the front was a bit loose, snugged it up, engine solid, noise gone, cheap fix!
later
david

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Also the altonator pivot bolt tends to losen and make weird knocking sounds... Easy cheap fix.. as long as you can find the nut that fell off the end.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well guys i will double check to see if theres anything loose around the motor.
I had some people check out the sound with a scope and its coming from the internal just hard to pin point it. i will check the alternator as well. The sound is getting progressivly louder slightly. i basicall am driving the car till it get louder to get a better idea of where the sound is originating from. Currently if it is internal damage it must be in its early stage. i was also told it could be a collapsed piston skirt or scored cylinder. Sound right?

ThankFor the input
lawrence

1 - 4 of 4 Posts