SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looking good

I like it lowered;)
Why is it that Nissan always makes thier cars look like they are 4x4's????

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know that they all look like 4x4s, but I think that the propensity many of us have for bigger wheels makes it worse. The lower-profile tires add to the illusion that there's more space between the tire and the wheel well IMHO. And I only went from 14s to 15s. Some of the cars I've seen with 16s and 17s and no lowering look really silly. On the other hand, I don't know why anyone goes for such big wheels; they just slow you down with the weight (rotational inertia, baby), unless you go for lightweight wheels.

A lot of guys also talk about the front of the car being higher than the back; I think that there is more space in the wells in front, on purpose, to accomodate a little more suspension travel (maybe) and to accomodate the motion of the wheels when turned (definitely). I don't know if this is crap or not, any takers?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Okay, I didnt want to CATCH the lower bug, but as soon as I can Im lowering my sheeeiiiiitt!!!!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Big wheels...

Big wheels = big pimpin! Who cares about performance. Now if you have a big phat fully tuned turbo kit or nitrous kit, or even a kick ass all motor ride..why not floss it on the street. When track time comes along..it's not impossible to swap out wheels ya know....

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's not impossible to swap out wheels ya know....
True dat yo...

I just can't afford multiple sets of wheels, or the alignments you should technically get every time you change them... shredded tires are a bad thing.

Ah, to be rich...

·
Registered
441 Posts
? on your wheels Stine

quick question Stine,

what wheels are on your car? They are a good looking set of 15s you got there. How is the weight on those babies? What is the combined weight (one wheel/tire combo)?

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are MASItaly Callistos. I believe that they have been discontinued, but I could easily be incorrect on that one.

I got them from Discount Tire Direct for (ahem) $60 apiece. No, that is not a typo. They were on clearance on the website, and they had 14 left when I bought my set. I was originally waiting for a set of b14 SE-R wheels to come up for sale, but these caught my eye while I was surfing for tires and I couldn't argue with that price.

I have no idea on the weight. I bought them before finding out that weight matters. I will say however that the car didn't feel much different when I went from the stockers to the 15s. It definitely handles better (better tires I guess, wider too - these are 15x7s) but did not really feel slower in a straight line. Be advised this is all SOTP.

The tires are Kelly Charger HR Directional and were also on special when I bought them (hey, I'm an out-of-work teacher, I'm kind of on a budget), in case anyone cares. The next set will be Toyo/Nitto/Kumho, although I have been very happy with the Kellys.

·
8,148 Posts
That red Mazda needs a fender. Get it away from your car or you may be next.:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amen to that...

Wife and I are hoping to get into a house in the next year. It WILL have a BIG GARAGE!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yo, Stine,
well done, very tasteful! me likes it, likes it a lot. i've always felt that ricey, big spokes don't go well w/ b13's. great job w/ the lowered look , too.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks good stine, how's the ride like compare
to stock?

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ride quality is very close to stock. Maybe a little firmer, especially on big bumps. Cornering is definitely flatter; I can't wait to get the AGXs on! That combination will be killer.

The best part is that my wife didn't notice the car being lower to get in and out of - I figured she'd put up a fuss.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Time to hit up some detailing on that motor. ;)
Especially the valve cover. :p

Nice ride and pics!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just curious stine, are your stock springs
for sale? How much (cheap) and what the mileage on them.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I can't help you out there - I am keeping all of my stock parts against the possibility of needing them in the future.

I believe however that there was someone selling the entire stock suspension setup in the for-sale forum; you might try looking there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts