SR20 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be backing up the forums and at very least hosting them from home, but that probably won't be fast enough. Anybody got any hookups where we could host this site on?

Thanks

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got one offer and one referral to folks with bandwidth and space for free. I'll keep ya'll updated.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
yah.. why are they still using the mailing list? it's not 1993 anymore...</font>
se-r.net and the mailing list are two separate entities. se-r.net was hosted by space provided by a aguy who owns a turbo 200SX (his name escapes me). When he sold his turbo 200SX SE-R, he gave up on hosting SE-R.net. So now SE-R.net is being hosted on Larry Weak server (owner of the mailing list). This was supposed to be a temporary solution, but it has lasted for quite a while.

But I do agree with you, mailing lists are dinosaurs

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
On hosting:
If nothing is found, I'm willing to put a ten note in a envelope and send it to Ben. Unlike the infamous SR20DE do-it-yourself intake project, I think we could quickly and efficiently collect enough money to keep us up and running.

On mailing lists:
Mailing lists have their place. They work very well for technical information and discussions - the material comes to you instead of you going to it. On the other hand, a message board's realtime nature lets a post about turbo theory get buried under 50 threads about poop. A message board is the best compromise between chat and thought-out discussion. A mailing list breaks down when wankers start getting off-topic or too chatty, like sometimes happens on the SE-R List.

Nowadays, I post more here than I do on the SE-R List. But when I do send something to the 'List, I try to make it worthwhile. I'm going to finish up a writeup on replacing the power steering rack in the next week or so, something I don't think is covered anywhere in detail in the SE-R community.

On the SE-R List specifically:
The 'List and archives have always been and continue to be my best source of SE-R info. It's age and sizable membership make it work very well as a resource. Plus, the fact that it goes to everyone's e-mailbox puts pressure on posters to use halfway readable grammar and arrange their info into coherent and on-topic thoughts.

Not to knock the SR20DE UBB, but sometimes I have trouble understanding what people post. On the Internet, effective text communication is the only link between me and you. That means you can't have run-on sentences, horrible misspellings, or incomplete thoughts. This isn't English class, but some of you have to stop this first-grader stream of consciousness garbage.

On Larry Weeks:
Larry doesn't actually patrol the List a whole lot, so he doesn't say whole lot to keep the List in line. He has a dark sense of humor towards people who say overly ridiculous (coughNajifatgirlsareeasycough) or serious things (coughrussellzotzcough) that I think is funny.

I've only met him once, so I'm not in a position to say anything especially good or bad about him.

Back on topic:
Ben, how much money and when?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno if I will even need money. Tonight I will be switching over one of my home machines to be a linux box and will try to get it up at home tonight. If I do and get the forums working on it I will setup a forward for the homepage and see how it goes. I have cable at home so it should work ok. I need to MAKE SURE I can get the forwarding working right though. I won't leave ya'll hanging high and dry.

This will be a perfect chance to get the domain setup. Anyone know where I can register a domain for cheap currently?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well, I know the guys at www.automotiveforums.com really good. Im sure you could move over to the Nissan forums, he would let you could control it/set it up all like you do here. Just an option, and it would be all free to you

(in fact, this was allready offered a while ago, but turned down, maybe you could rethink?)

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

[This message has been edited by kbslacker (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
We are not merging with anyone. I like the BB to stay SR20 only(with a few Ga16 and QR18s).

·
Registered
883 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
We are not merging with anyone. I like the BB to stay SR20 only(with a few Ga16 and QR18s).</font>

You wouldnt have to merge, you could use them as a host, so to say, and it would be free. You could even have it setup just like this. Also, what about the b15sentra.net hookup? I thought everyone was gung ho on that. Just an offer though. G20.net seems to being pretty good over there, and they did the same thing. Anyways, I dont run this place, so of course, what I say doesnt matter. But when 40 people try to login here, and its slow as hell, dont expect them to com back. Just my opinion

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Hit up Draglab.com ([email protected]) Darren hosts many many sites, and might have some ideas how you can help each other to both benefit. he is hosting nwsr20de.com right now (eventhough nothing is on it except a regional message forum)

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
We are not merging with anyone. I like the BB to stay SR20 only(with a few Ga16 and QR18s).</font>
Here-Here. I'm with you Eric. Those engines would be the exception.

P.S. When is that dyno day in Tennessee this month?

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JimR:

I've only met him once, so I'm not in a position to say anything especially good or bad about him.
</font>
I am glad you like Larry Weak, but it would be a real tragedy if this site was hosted on his server. I have left the list since that incident that you refrenced. Everyone knows that large women are easy and yet they want to be PC and force me to apologize. Hell no.

Ben, sorry for being off topic.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Naji, I really hope you aren't serious about that comment still. I'm afraid that you are...

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thomas Reynolds:
Here-Here. I'm with you Eric. Those engines would be the exception.

P.S. When is that dyno day in Tennessee this month?
</font>

Uuggg.. It looks like it might be end of Sept, beginning of Oct. These past few months have been hell for me. I will let you know for sure though.

[This message has been edited by eric96ser (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
I am glad you like Larry Weak, but it would be a real tragedy if this site was hosted on his server. I have left the list since that incident that you refrenced. Everyone knows that large women are easy and yet they want to be PC and force me to apologize. Hell no.

</font>

PC or not, that attitude is not needed here. I remember when all that went down, and I believe Larry "newbied" you. Larry is a great guy, and say what you want about him, but remember that there would be no se-r.net and no se-r mailing list without him. He is very easy going, and hardly speaks up, unless it is called for. In your case Naji, it was called for.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts

PC or not, that attitude is not needed here. I remember when all that went down, and I believe Larry "newbied" you. Larry is a great guy, and say what you want about him, but remember that there would be no se-r.net and no se-r mailing list without him. He is very easy going, and hardly speaks up, unless it is called for. In your case Naji, it was called for.
</font>
Well that is your opinion and opinions are like you know what, everyone has one. You like Larry Weaks, then good for you. I do not and will not. I have my reasons for not liking him and you have yours for liking him. Let us leave it at that.

Ben, If you want money to set up a new server, you can count on me.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just because a person has excess fat cells on their body doesn't make them any less of a person, male, female, whatever. That is a VERY prejudiced remark and I can't believe you are standing by it. I was hoping the time you made that comment on the list you were drunk or something. I won't ban you Naji as you add good discussion and stuff, but just know that the admins, Eric and I, probably along with 99.9% of this forum (and hopefully all people out there) are more open minded than yourself in this respect.

In other words, DO NOT show that prejudiced part of yourself on these forums.

Back to the issue at hand... I have not got around to installing linux on that machine as all my install CDs are at work. I will work on it tomorrow and see what I can do. I've heard rumors that if @Home finds that you host anything at all from a residential cable connection they will shut you off and I am wary of that, but I would do it for a short time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.