SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a clutch cable on my car yesterday with my buddy NIsmoser and i recently got a K&N filter and adapter so i could eliminate my stock airbox and its restrictions. Well, last night we noticed another box that was attached to the hose that the MAF is connected to. It splits off from the MAF hose and into a stupid little box that does nothing except the air goes in and circulates and comes back out the same place it came in and into the throttle body with the rest of the air, or thats what im assuming. iF you look at your car you will see what im talking about. The hose inlet looks to be about 2.5 inches or so. Should i get another breather filter to elimnate this thing or are there other alternatives. Its like the air is taking a detour into this useless box to go around and back up again. I dont get it. What should i do with this thing?? is it restrictive or should i just ignore it?? Should i try and plug up the hole?? any suggestions or reccomendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance...

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
I do not know if you can see in the picture, but I put a PVC plastic cap in the hole on the hose and removed the silencer box.

Go here: http://nismopc.tripod.com/G20.htm

Look at the pictures of my air intake under $tillen Hi-Flo Intake with K&N Cone Filter and see the middle picture of the MAF hose to Throttle body. You'll see a little white cap there. That's it. I do not have a part # for it. Just measure the inner diameter of the hole and go to your local hardware store. (Home Depot & Lowe's carries these caps) I think it is called a PVC pipe end cap and is 1.5" in size(??).

Hope that helps!

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Nismo, it's a silencer. It's there to keep the noise level down. Throw it out.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Funny how alot of people dont know what this box is. Pull it out, put some holes in it and make it into a strange flute.
I used to have a Powerade cap covering up my hole. But now its all replaced with PolyVinyl Chloride.

------------------

http://94_redse-r.tripod.com/FASTSER/

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
My CAI (hotshot) eliminates the extra airbox (resonator?). I believe that the PR CAI also does; on the HS, there just isn't a connection for it. I guess that says you don't need it

------------------
1994 SE-R Super Black
POP Charger, STB, 15" rolling stock, more to come...

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Actually, if you do NOT cap it off, your car will run like crap! It will suck air after the MAF and screw with your ECU causing the engine to run pretty bad.

The MAF will not know to tell the ECU that there is more air sucking into the engine and then bog, cough cough, ugh!

How ever you decide to do it, if you remove it, you will need to cap it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoPC:
Actually, if you do NOT cap it off, your car will run like crap! It will suck air after the MAF and screw with your ECU causing the engine to run pretty bad.
</font>
when my cap popped out the car wouldn't even start

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Guess me and NismoNX2000 are buying some gatorade

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im all in favor of throwing out, but then there will be a gaping hole there...i think it might be best to plug it at least.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, on the menu for today is some gatorade. Thanks guys!

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Smurf huh? I don't think i need a blue creature yelping under my hood

either way, i went to buy some gatorade from the student center today, and when i sat down at my table...what do i find? a tropicana cap, the same exact size as the gatorade one.

what kind of intake do i have? K&N Tropicana!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided to go with the pvc end cap and let me say im very happy with that decision, the cap fits perfectly over the tube nice and snug, its almost like it was meant to go there. No tape or anything necessary, just a nice tight fit. Thanks again!

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
too many toys
386 Posts
I removed mine as well, but I was afraid of putting something like a gatorade cap in there for fear of it becoming loose and falling out or (worse) being sucked into the engine.

I found a pvc endcap (like mentioned above by NismoPC). Fits perfectly, and looks a hell of a lot better than a ghetto gatorade cap. :)

Aaron

[This message has been edited by luminus (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
too many toys
386 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
you are supposed to use a k&n filter on the end of that part fyi..............supposed to, but not have to though.</font>
You mean for the emmisions equip. on the front of the engine, right? You do however want to have the silencer hose/hole completely plugged.

Aaron

[This message has been edited by luminus (edited 09-07-2001).]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts