SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taught to drive, using the engine to slow the car. Not completely, just to help. I recently saw somewhere, that thats hard on the engine. Is it really THAT bad for the car? i know the brakes can stop the car better than the engine ever could... I just want the best for my '01SE. Thanks for nay comments.

------------------
Wheel gap is the enemy. "Silver" 2001 SE w/perf.pkg, PR CAI, Intrax.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Well, think of it this way: what costs less to replace, engine parts, or brakes?

Engine braking isn't something you should do very often, and it's really not necessary.

The only time that you should really be using some engine braking is when descending mountains

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I don't think that it makes it any harder on the engine if you do that, just don't always do it, and when you do, take it easy, dont overrev it alot.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and when you do, take it easy, dont overrev it alot.</font>
Yeah, like don't do more than 11.5k for more than a couple seconds. 9.5k is good for upto 4 seconds however.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I was thinking somewhere around 8600, but ya, that should be fine too...........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts