SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My valve cover gasket is bad...I need to know if I have to drain my oil out before I can change my gasket. *Stupid question, but I really need to know*



------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake, clear bumper lenses and more to come!!!!!
 

·
G-unit
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
Anytime I do a Valve cover gasket I like to crank the car up(after I'm done), run it a little and then change the oil. that way if I got any old sealant or grit or something it would wash to the pan and then get drained out. But this is WHAT I DO. Not required
 

·
pwnd
Joined
·
3,455 Posts
Im about to do it myself so if you end up waiting till after the convention to do it I will have pics up. If Eric will bring his camera and camera girl(err...steph) so the camera wont get dirty. I want to document some things. If not I can bring my friends digital that takes some GREAT ass pics. And I now have a website, now to get someone to design me something cool. Also while you are in there you should clean out the cam oiling tubes or replace them. What Im going to do is clean the tubes, replace gasket, do an engine flush, then replace my dented pan. Figure do it all at once
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
And I now have a website, now to get someone to design me something cool.</font>
Are you looking for someone to do some graphics for your or do you need the whole shabang, HTML and all?

jason
 

·
pwnd
Joined
·
3,455 Posts
I have no immagination for anything....need a design, the html everything. I can upload stuff and maintain a site, just when it comes to designing something I suck. I usualy end up with a bunch of links
so I just usualy run sites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vegita:
My valve cover gasket is bad...I need to know if I have to drain my oil out before I can change my gasket. *Stupid question, but I really need to know*

</font>
What are the symptoms of a bad valve cover gasket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad valve cover gasket (for me) = oil leaking from under valve cover...

got it done...thanks everyone for your input

------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake, clear bumper lenses and more to come!!!!!
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
you did the spark plug seals also, I hope. I passed on that once (the dealer was out of stock). I found oil around my plugs. What a bitch to clean. had to use Q-tips while the plugs were still in to get a lot of the oil out. Always replace all 6 gaskets when doing a valve cover... 1 main, 4 sparkplug and 1 center bolt gasket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ooh, nobody told me about doing that, maybe next weeks project.



------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake, clear bumper lenses and more to come!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cossie:
you did the spark plug seals also, I hope. I passed on that once (the dealer was out of stock). I found oil around my plugs. What a bitch to clean. had to use Q-tips while the plugs were still in to get a lot of the oil out. Always replace all 6 gaskets when doing a valve cover... 1 main, 4 sparkplug and 1 center bolt gasket.</font>
the newer spark plug well gasket has all of them connected so its actually just one

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top