SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MYSPACE.COM/STREETARMOUR
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation...

I have a B13 Valve Cover and when I was glass beading it to prep it for powdercoating the plastic (stem) underneath the VC broke off. It is held in my a gob of adhesive from the factory.

My quesiton is, with it broken off will it affect the way the VC is going to behave??

Any and all chimes are appreciated.

·
Working on it !
433 Posts
interesting, when i took my vc off the first time to clean it , i figured the black goo was gunk so i riped it all off, later seeing pics of cleaned up under valvecover and figuring i might be wrong,

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
just re-goop it if you tore it all off.. if its just cracked or chipped just break it so it doesnt come off in the motor. should be fine.

·
MYSPACE.COM/STREETARMOUR
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole thing broke off. I have no Idea what the goop is that they used to seal the plastic thing with. Any one know?

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
ummmm yea.........you deffinatly should tape off the valve cover when glass beading. i would NEVER want that stuff hiding in the valve cover to work its way into my engine!:eek2: when i bead blast VC's i tape off the underside completly, spark plug tubes and all.

·
Wiggle wagon driver...
1,445 Posts
glad to know i'm not alone. i thought it was just mine that had that stuff under it.

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
If it broke but is still held in securely by the goop, then it will be fine. That part is broken on most of the VCs I come across.

·
MYSPACE.COM/STREETARMOUR
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since the plastic (thingy) is gone what is it;s function on the VC???

After glass beading the VC I dipped the VC in a vat of carburator cleaner for 2 hours and steamed cleaned the hell out of it as well. It is 100% clean.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts

·
_______
3,640 Posts
It helps drain the oil separated from the pcv gases (it's connected to the big baffle plate in the top of the VC). The oil is supposed to drain out of that thing into the head and it's routed in a way so it doesn't bounce off the cam lobes while they are spinning.

Mike

·
Built motors FTW!
155 Posts
mine is broken too but i have been running that vc for a while and no probs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts