SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, is a valve cover gasket reusable or should I just buy a new one?

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
"Walk tall and carry a big stick..."

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, its a rubber gasket, so you can re-use it if you want. Just check and make sure it is not currently leaking. I believe it only costs about $30 for the VC gasket and spark plug gaskets, so you might just want to go ahead and get new gaskets anyway.

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah go ahead and get a new gasket. Is $30 too much to ask for a car you love so much? Riight.....

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER
http://photos.yahoo.com/nyceser

·
egg-less
348 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXBen:
I believe it only costs about $30 for the VC gasket and spark plug gaskets...</font>
I've never heard of the spark plug gaskets. This may solve my problem. I have been using a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so for the last 3 months; before that, it hadn't used a drop of oil. I just changed the plugs last month, and there was oil all over the ceramic part of the plug. Could it be using that much oil if the plug gaskets are leaking???

Or are you just yankin' my chain about plug gaskets???

Seriously, I'm lost as to why it's using so much oil. I've changed the VC gasket and oil pan seal, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

al

92 NX2000 - JWT ECU, header, CAI, lightened flywheel, Borla exhaust, ACT clutch, CP-8's with 205/40/17 A520's

·
Registered
201 Posts
There is a ring shaped gasket that goes around each spark plug hole on the VC. If you take off the VC and look in the middle, you will see an indent for each of these gaskets. I don't know if that is your problem or not, but you could give it a shot.

Since you just replaced your VC, make sure that you are not leaking oil from anywhere around the VC area. Also make sure that everything is connected properly.

Other things to look at would be the rear main seal and the front main seal.

Ben
'93 NX

G

·
0 Posts
I reused mine, alli did was wipe off the gaskets and all contact areas. No promlems yet and over 1,500 miles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Front Main seal is easy to inspect and replace. It is behind the crankshaft pulley. Pull off the passenger's side wheel and the plastic guards behind it. Look at the crank pulley and see if any oil is coming out of that area. If you see any, the seal is not too bad to replace.

The rear main seal is where the engine and transmission meet up. It'll be expensive to replace and I don't really know how you'd go about checking it for a leak.

A couple of other things to check...

Is your oil filter tight? Make sure it is not leaking.

What about the oil pan? Is the seal on that still intact?

Ben
'93 NX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts