SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jah Rastafari
Joined
·
7,677 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Is the VE N-1 and GTI-R 54C crank pulley interchangeable?

Mike
I am 100% sure that the GTIR, N1 and 20V crank pulleys are the same or interchangable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andreas Miko said:
I am 100% sure that the GTIR, N1 and 20V crank pulleys are the same or interchangable.
Thank you for the advice! I was asking because Unorthaodx has a underdrive pulley for the GTI-R 54C front cover and I wanted to use it on the N-I cover I am putting on my new motor.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Thank you for the advice! I was asking because Unorthaodx has a underdrive pulley for the GTI-R 54C front cover and I wanted to use it on the N-I cover I am putting on my new motor.

Mike
***Mike,

The 54C GTi-R crank pulley will only work with the N1 front cover if you machine the rear lip off the small pulley that drives the water and power steering pumps. The small rear pulley portion has a raised lip that helps to keep the belt centered on the pulley. You will need to put the pulley in a lathe and turn down this lip until it is the same height as the other "ribs" of the pulley. Go ahead and test fit the UR pulley on the N1 front cover and it will make sense when you see it.

Good luck,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Thank you for the advice! I was asking because Unorthaodx has a underdrive pulley for the GTI-R 54C front cover and I wanted to use it on the N-I cover I am putting on my new motor.

Mike
So does that mean we can use UR pullies on a VE now?
 

·
VE junkie
Joined
·
907 Posts
no it means they have a crank pulley for a 20V motor or N1 motor. not a 189 hp motor like ours.

and you would only need to machine the pulley if you still have power steering and a belt driven water pump, right?
 

·
No soup for you
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
v8killer2001 said:
***Mike,

The 54C GTi-R crank pulley will only work with the N1 front cover if you machine the rear lip off the small pulley that drives the water and power steering pumps. The small rear pulley portion has a raised lip that helps to keep the belt centered on the pulley. You will need to put the pulley in a lathe and turn down this lip until it is the same height as the other "ribs" of the pulley. Go ahead and test fit the UR pulley on the N1 front cover and it will make sense when you see it.

Good luck,
Good stuff. An underdrive pulley, probably won't require this though. Just a thought.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
I am using the Gti-R 54C crank pulley with my SR16VE N1 oil pump on my BB DET. The pulley had to be lathed down a bit to work, just like V8killer said.

Can I order the unorthodox crank pulley directly from them? Mike, have you tried it yet?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
92nx2k said:
no it means they have a crank pulley for a 20V motor or N1 motor. not a 189 hp motor like ours.

and you would only need to machine the pulley if you still have power steering and a belt driven water pump, right?
Isn't the N1 front cover bigger than ours? I haven't compared the two, but why wouldn't this pulley fit?
 

·
easy 400WHP
Joined
·
12,682 Posts
The GTiR pulley will only fit an N1/VE pump by grinding off the rear lip, which really isnt necessary if you know how to install belts. The VE pulley is different from the GTiR pulley. I too would like to try the UR GTiR pulley, but Id hate to have to hack it up.
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Thank you for the advice! I was asking because Unorthaodx has a underdrive pulley for the GTI-R 54C front cover and I wanted to use it on the N-I cover I am putting on my new motor.

Mike
You can thank me for that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Pat, since you are the metal cutting madman, will you lathe a Gti-R UR pulley for us if we buy them and send to you? I dunno if I trust myself to put it in our lathe.
 

·
easy 400WHP
Joined
·
12,682 Posts
so anyone got a phone# for UR or a part# for the 54C UR Crank Pulley...

or even better, both?

Ive e-mailed UR with no response yet...
 

·
easy 400WHP
Joined
·
12,682 Posts
well first I wanna get it and see how it fits on the VE pump.. underdrive usually means smaller so it may clear on its own , unlike its larger stock counterpart... if indeed it does need to be cut down... thats the easy part.....the trouble im having is finding the actual UR 54C pulley,.....
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top