SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was reading about the ve's and it sounded like teh only difference between the 2 moters is the head so is it possible even remotley eith correct ecu, etc. to swap heads liek the honda guys do to keep costs down and to prevent the hassle of pulling the moter?

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
What is this DE/VVL

Sorry, no ls/vtec copies for you, do a search, look it up.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
It is possible. A member from Taiwan once posted about it. Basically, the idea I got was that you could use the VE head on a DE block and therefore have the VVL motor. In Taiwan, they have a law that doesn't allow for motor swaps (some odd law he was mentioning), so doing what he did was the only way to have a VE in his car.

It is better for you to do a full motor swap anyway and learn something from it, IMO.

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
I highly doubt a DE/VVL copy would be as reliable as an original SR20VE.

I know that when you do LS/VTEC things get kinda screwy, rod/stroke ratios get messed up , and basically it doesn' last as long, well most dont.

being that both the VE and the DE are like the same block, rod/stroke ratios wouldnt get messed with, but i dunno, i just dont think it will be as reliable.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
IIRC its possible if you use one of the newer roller blocks. I think the newer blocks are slightly different then the older ones.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so in short i should just get the ve moter cause it prolly wont work with my 91 sr20de lowport

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Pretty much. Your 91 engine is actually a highport though.

nx2knoobie said:
so in short i should just get the ve moter cause it prolly wont work with my 91 sr20de lowport

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
plus your 91 highport has miles on it. youd want to rebuild the bottom end if you did a head swap. if you were going to do that then why not do the motor swap. no sense in takeing the head off if you arent going to fix everything else down there while you got it apart. anyway id swap a motor before i swapped a head on one of these any day. especially with the VE prices coming down...

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
nxnoobie your 91 NX has a high port motor. not a low port. just for your info. lowport sr20 motors began in the US in 1994

·
3 wheelin'
436 Posts
The myth about the LS/VTEC motor not lasting is overrated. A motor is just as good as it is built. If you skimp on it. It will skimp on you. Build it right and you should have no problems. I've seen plenty of LS/VTEC motors last well over 100K. I don't know about this DE/VVL. But then again I'm a noob.

Just curious. How are the cams shifted? Same way in the honda? Oil pressure? What about the mapping of the fuel? I know I should search. But I am a lazy ass. :tongue:

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
I dunno where i found how it works,(if i find it i'll post up).
But i do know it is a 3 stage, while vtec is a single stage.
..what that means?, i have no clue:), i forgot.lol

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
BlkB14 said:
I dunno where i found how it works,(if i find it i'll post up).
But i do know it is a 3 stage, while vtec is a single stage.
..what that means?, i have no clue:), i forgot.lol

It means that with VTEC botht he cams switch over at the same time, as they only have 1 solenoid to do it. With the VVL, there are 2 solenoids, one for ach cam, hence the 3 stage part of it. 1 stage is both cams on low, then 1 cam one low, one on high (stage 2), and then finally both cams on high (stage 3). They do switch over with oil pressure, there is a thread in the this section that says how VVL works, read it it is very interesting. the nice thing about our cars is that they are stong as hell stock, so its easier to get a complete VE and swap it in than just the head, becasue it is hard to find just a VVL head. Plus you wont have to worry about "skimping" on the bottom end, just leave it stock, and it should last for a very very very long time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What about putting DE pistons and crank into an SR16VE? Will the SR20DE tranny bolt up? I would think it would since they are both SR engines. Might be cheaper if you're willing to do the work yourself. I'm thinking about this for when I get an NX instead of going the turbo route.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
DuronClocker said:
What about putting DE pistons and crank into an SR16VE? Will the SR20DE tranny bolt up? I would think it would since they are both SR engines. Might be cheaper if you're willing to do the work yourself. I'm thinking about this for when I get an NX instead of going the turbo route.

You havent searched, eh? This has been covered sooooooooooo many times. You can do what you are talking about, it is possible, it is cheaper if you do you own work. Itt can also take a very long time. VE's are getting cheaper now. I would just buy a sr20ve, unless you get a kick ass dela on the sr16, and you have a really good hook up on the parts. Search, and most of your questions will be answered.

·
Registered
137 Posts
gen2teg said:
The myth about the LS/VTEC motor not lasting is overrated. A motor is just as good as it is built. If you skimp on it. It will skimp on you. Build it right and you should have no problems. I've seen plenty of LS/VTEC motors last well over 100K.
yeap everybody jumps on the bandwagon of LSVTEC
no knowing that this set up is for the true tuners
that could crack the engine apart and put it up to par
and know how to maintain..
specially since the fuel mixture has to be managed correctly
or it will not last..

so my best advise to all honda wanabe techers
is

if you have to ask how to LSVTEC...
dont deal with it....

cause all the $$ involved in it you could have bought a type R
or boosted your LS block...