SR20 Forum banner

VE or DE-T?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys iv decided to go to youguys for this decision.

Im a guy look for more power out of his B13. Iv narrowed it down to 2 choices.

1.SR20VE
2 Turbo my DE

Now im going to you guys. The reason why I put DE-T is because my motor was rebuilt with new .20 pistions and rings. The motor right now has 18K miles since the rebuild so I see it as a waste to take it out for a DET. The reason why I put VE as a choice is because its a newer motor and by the time I do a swap my DE miles should be on par with a VE and because the VE is more reliable.
Also one thing that has been pushing me away from DE-T and more towards the VE is the tapping for the oil lines and reliabilty. Last night a friend of mine told we I could T it off the oil pressure switch and if I do everything "right" it will be as reliable as a VE. Another thing is the TQ put out by a boosted SR. I heard B13 trannys have problems under boost.
What I love about the DE-Ts is the HP they put out and the price it cost to make that power. IMO a DE-T is more bank for buck then a VE. Money is a problem but it can be solved with time. What choice would be more expncive VE or DE-T?

I believe I have posted all the walls ive run into in making these choices. Now I want to hear your opinions from you guys.

I thank you in advance for any input on this subject.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Turboing your DE is most of the time cheaper than swaping a VE, depending on your HP needs. If you keep your DE around the 250hp range the reliability of your engine should be fine, depending on how you drive it :D. I say slap a t25 on there and be done with it. You will make plenty more HP than VE and it'll be very reliable. Plus it should easily be under 2000 to do just a t25. I say around the 1500 range. Also tapping our blocks for an oil return is not too difficult, our blocks already has a untapped return becuase the block we use is pretty much the same as a DET.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turboing your DE is most of the time cheaper than swaping a VE, depending on your HP needs. If you keep your DE around the 250hp range the reliability of your engine should be fine, depending on how you drive it :D. I say slap a t25 on there and be done with it. You will make plenty more HP than VE and it'll be very reliable. Plus it should easily be under 2000 to do just a t25. I say around the 1500 range. Also tapping our blocks for an oil return is not too difficult, our blocks already has a untapped return becuase the block we use is pretty much the same as a DET.
I know what you mean thx. But the thing is I dont want to do any drilling to the block thats why I ask about the T off option.

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Also one thing that has been pushing me away from DE-T and more towards the VE is the tapping for the oil lines and reliabilty.

If you are pushed away from a DE-T because of the tapping of the oil lines you need to go VE then. Hundreds of guys have done this with no problems, but you seem to have an issue with it???

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you are pushed away from a DE-T because of the tapping of the oil lines you need to go VE then. Hundreds of guys have done this with no problems, but you seem to have an issue with it???
Well unfortunatly for me this is my daily driver and I cant afford to have my car in the shop for a week. I know a VE swap can be done in a weekend working 12hrs and a DE-T in even less. Now is it possible to T it off is what I want to know. I know you can drill it yes everyone does it. But can it just be Ted off? My dad works at a shop and the owner is more then happy to help me but I just cant tell him to stop working on his race cars on a weekend to tap my block.

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
Well unfortunatly for me this is my daily driver and I cant afford to have my car in the shop for a week. I know a VE swap can be done in a weekend working 12hrs and a DE-T in even less. Now is it possible to T it off is what I want to know. I know you can drill it yes everyone does it. But can it just be Ted off? My dad works at a shop and the owner is more then happy to help me but I just cant tell him to stop working on his race cars on a weekend to tap my block.

a weekend to tap a block?:rofl:

takes no more than 2 hours...mine took 1hr 30 mins. I did that one weekend while i still collected parts. The next weekend, i started the de-t project and i finished it in one day for a total of about 3hrs.. dude said weekend to tap a block:biggthump

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a weekend to tap a block?:rofl:

takes no more than 2 hours...mine took 1hr 30 mins. I did that one weekend while i still collected parts. The next weekend, i started the de-t project and i finished it in one day for a total of about 3hrs.. dude said weekend to tap a block:biggthump
I know it doesnt take that long. But I dont own the shop or the tools so I need someone that knows what hes doing and for free. Knowing him he tell me to leave the car during the week and he will get to it eventually.

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
The more you post the more I would say stay DE. If you need a reliable daily driver and don't know much about turbo set-ups or have the time or tools to work on it's going to own you.

Why not spend $500 on a nitrous setup and go that way for now? More power, weekend install, and very reliable.

PS: The "T" for a oil drain is not going to work.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I went VE because of the fuel economy. I know DE's do pretty well, but mine was done. From the VE I get 30-36mpg highway. People have told me you can get 30mpg out of a well executed turbo rig, but I don't see a lot of people doing that. With my job paying $0.48 a mile the swap is almost done paying itself off. Now I use the 200 for work though.

The Turbo De will be faster and easier to drive fast, but there are more things to break. I know a well set-up turbo can be rock solid. Either way doing it right is gonna cost. Honeslty though I have to agree with racer ^. You don't really sound like you are ready to do a swap. Keep saving, searching and get more comfortable with your mechanical skills. Maybe go help a few local cats with their swaps. Free labor usually gets you beer and take-out. Time well spent.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went VE because of the fuel economy. I know DE's do pretty well, but mine was done. From the VE I get 30-36mpg highway. People have told me you can get 30mpg out of a well executed turbo rig, but I don't see a lot of people doing that. With my job paying $0.48 a mile the swap is almost done paying itself off. Now I use the 200 for work though.

The Turbo De will be faster and easier to drive fast, but there are more things to break. I know a well set-up turbo can be rock solid. Either way doing it right is gonna cost. Honeslty though I have to agree with racer ^. You don't really sound like you are ready to do a swap. Keep saving, searching and get more comfortable with your mechanical skills. Maybe go help a few local cats with their swaps. Free labor usually gets you beer and take-out. Time well spent.
Thank you. You told me what I was looking for. My skills are very good compared to the avarage person. Iv worked on cars since I was 12. I have taking my SR20DE out of my car riped it completely apart and put it back together and back into the car. Just that I dont want to make costly mistakes. But I have made my choice. Right now I got about $1k ima keep saving till I get about 3k and ill give Miko a call for a VE. So in about 6months guys ill join the VE crew. Thanks for the help all of you.
:biggthump :biggthump

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
only car? you rebuilt the motor... stay DE and save your money...

if your looking for more power later, go VE and transfer the bolt ons.

If you get another car, then go DET/DE-T

my opinion... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts