SR20 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
No longer a member
8,537 Posts
If anyone wants to try, I've got a set sitting here for $80.

·
R.I.P Danilo
196 Posts
Yes they fit fine I already tried it, the Ve sprrings just have one more coil winding making them taller DE have five windings ve have 6.

·
MAD GTI PulSSSar
552 Posts
ok so then, i thinking of goin bc 272's (stg 3's) would these prevent coil bind?

·
No longer a member
8,537 Posts
what's the stiffness. I assume you only use the outer spring?

·
MAD GTI PulSSSar
552 Posts
whats the stiffness? could u be a little more clear?

bc site spring specs are

BC1200 Seat: 1.550" @ 90 lbs / Open: 1.025" @ 220 lbs / Coil Bind: 0.910"

·
No longer a member
8,537 Posts
Here's something I'm wondering. Now, I'm just going to take a stab here, I may be way off.

The VE uses 2 springs while the DE uses only 1. Wouldn't that possibly mean that the 2 VE springs, independently, would be softer than the DE, but combine to create the effect of a much stiffer spring?

If that's the case (I'm not saying it is), then putting a single VE spring into a DE would produce worse results because the single VE spring is softer. Vice Versa, that would mean that using a stock DE spring as the outer spring on a VE might increase the stiffness inside the VE head.

Anyway, we need someone to test the spring rates. It's very easy to do.

gio94sr20: If the VE has more windings, that would mean, to me, that the spring cannot compress as much before bottoming out.

·
No longer a member
8,537 Posts
I have a full set of DE and VE springs sitting here in my garage, I can have them tested if anyone near Orlando knows where I should go.

·
MAD GTI PulSSSar
552 Posts
I have personally tested the sr20ve valve springs and sr16ve valve springs and they have the exact same closed and open spring pressures. sr20ve cams float the valves easier than sr16ve cams ( non N1) because of the cam profile and agressiveness. both cams have about the same lift, but the 16ve cams have more duration. you have more time to get the valve to full lift vs the 20ve. this basically means that the 20ve has to open and close the valve at a faster rate. at too high of rpm's this causes the valves to float, and bounce off the valve seat.

sr20ve and 16ve valve springs are only about 50 lbs seat pressure max, the open pressures are about 135 lbs and 140lbs.

I do not know what N1 spring rates are as i have never seen any.

As far as increased wear goes, If you have a solid oiling system and the valve train has plenty of oil, chances are you will change something else in the car before you see any signs of valve train wear. There is more force required to open the valves so it takes more engine power to do so.

What would you rather have. an engine that lasts 100,000+ miles and bends valves at 7800-8000rpm and you take it to 8200, or an engine that needs some engine refresh at 50,000 miles but you can take to 9000-9500rpm daily and not worry about it till you do another swap....

for those of you with SR20VE CAMS ONLY! not sr16ve, 20v, or N1, cams... 20ve cam guys can run stock gtir valve springs and have about 60-65lbs closed and about 155-165 lbs open pressure. i have tested these and you are ok to 8000rpms give or take and this reduces valve float by quite a bit. you can not lift anymore than that of 20ve cams because the valve springs will get very close to coil bind beyond that
from turbofreak

1 - 18 of 18 Posts