SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (Autoxer7 and I) finished the swap into my 93 Classic last night. It started, but I had to hold the throttle open to get it to fire up, and it won't idle unless I keep the revs up.

When the AAC valve (brown one) is unplugged, the car will idle on it's own, but is very rough. I'm using the VE AAC and FICD valves spliced into the DE harness. I noticed that the VE didn't have a place to connect the plug for the IACV Air Regulator, so I left it dangling. Is there a place to plug that in?

My PR CAI A-pipe doesn't have a place to connect the large hose coming out from the area underneath the TB, so we plugged the end of the hose. This is a known issue, but would that cause the engine to not idle?

-TPS is within spec (verified with Techtom)
-MAF voltage is reading right
-ECU Diagnostic shows 55 (no faults)
-Techtom shows the idle switch as "OFF", and doesn't come on.

It also seems to be running quite rich (strong smell of fuel). I'm using the VE injectors with a JWT DE ECU, DE MAF, and a NISMO FPR. The fuel pressure gauge shows that I'm at the stock fuel pressure.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Can you take a picture of the hose you are talking about?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the air hose that goes into the A-pipe of the CAI. You know how there are two large hoses that connect to the A-pipe? One connects the intake A-pipe to the valve cover. I'm talking about the other one.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Why doesn't your intake have that connection? That's why the car can't idle. When the TB is closed, that's how the motor gets the air it needs to idle. If anything, make a T fitting off the other connection, so both are hooked up.

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
All Sr Motors Have That Connection. Any Pr Intake Should Have That If Its For An Se-r. Both Of Those Hoses Must Be Connected Or It Wont Hold Any Vacuum.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know why it doesn't have that connection. I traded my highport PR CAI to another listmember for his lowport CAI. Since I have a 93, I wasn't familiar with what connections were supposed to be on lowport CAIs.

Sounds like that's what's causing my idle problem. Would that also explain the rich condition?

What about the air regulator connection? Any ideas there?

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Dan_93SER said:
My PR CAI A-pipe doesn't have a place to connect the large hose coming out from the area underneath the TB, so we plugged the end of the hose.
Thinking this might be the problem we actually unplugged the hose so that it was taking air directly from the atmosphere... but it still wouldn't idle.

Dan, were you able to verify the wiring for the AAC valve was correct?

Steve

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
dan if you have a 93 se-r and have wiring questions PM me. those 2 air tubes MUST be connected im surprised it even started.

·
Registered
723 Posts
bigtom said:
oh sorry i thought this thread was about mikes 200hp DE
LMFAO , try to put on the DE air conrol valve and plug that up. meaning take off the purple-less plug and refer to you de and take off the idle air control valve thingy and plug that up, that should help you some..

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I drilled out a hole roughly the same diameter as the hose, and taped the hose to the A-pipe. Started it up and she purred like a kitten. That was the problem.

I'll JB Weld a fitting to the pipe. WTF kind of PR CAI did that guy trade me?

Steve, verifying the AAC wiring was the next step, but it looks like it won't be necessary after all.

Thanks for all the help fellas!

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Dan_93SER said:
WTF kind of PR CAI did that guy trade me?
My guess it is a B15 intake. Take a look at the bottom pic on this page. Notice how there is only one large fitting on the intake instead of the usual two?

I went thru the VE FAQs and didn't see it mentioned, but we should probably put something in there that if you want to install a CAI to only use one designed for a B14 or low port B13.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
autoxer7 said:
My guess it is a B15 intake. Take a look at the bottom pic on this page. Notice how there is only one large fitting on the intake instead of the usual two?

I went thru the VE FAQs and didn't see it mentioned, but we should probably put something in there that if you want to install a CAI to only use one designed for a B14 or low port B13.

Steve
Awesome find Steve. I didn't know the B15s only had one connection. The reason the car wouldn't idle with that hose just open was the MAF didn't see any air being pulled past it. I'm glad you got it fixed. I'll change the FAQ now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts