SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, The title says it all. I got 158 hp and 121 lb/ft of torque. I have all the info on disk, but I do not have dynojet viewer to look it up. I also forgot to ask for a printout in my haste to leave to work. If anyone has the viewer, please e-mail it to me.

I lost power almost everywhere compared to my S3 cams. My S3 gave me 147 hp and 132 lb/ft. I do not remember exactly but my power loss extended from 2K all the way to 6-6.5K and maybe higher.

The only gain that I got was up top and I believe it was due to the extended rev line. I gained 11 hp only with these cams.

So what is next?

I am going to try and dyno tune these cams by adjusting the cam gears. I hope that will work, but I have my doubts, the losses are
pretty bad.

If that does not work, I will sell these cams and retianers go back to S3s/S4s.

Another option is to try out the C1s. These might be abetter option for low port engines.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Try retarding the exhaust cam 2.5 degrees. This is how "someone" made power with the C3's.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
249 Posts
yea, we had to dial both the intake and exhaust cams to make decent power over our old cams. about 2 1/2 degrees on each
exhaust retarded and intake advanced

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, like everybody said, adjust the cam timing ("check the archives," hehe). Or better yet, just go to the drag strip and see if the dyno lied to you (as mine seems to have when it reported 151 peak whp)...

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Rob actually advanced his exhaust cam 2.5 degrees. Originally he said retard, but he read the cam gears wrong. He had advanced it 2.5 degrees. However, according to Clark, the base circle on the cams has been reground with the advance in the exhaust cam already. When I dyno, we will see if this is true or not since I have a high port, as did Rob. We will see if it is your low port that did not like the cams Naji.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I was going by what it said on the dyno charts.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am going to try and dyno tune these cams by adjusting the cam gears. </font>
All squabbling aside, yes you need to adjust the cam timing with a low (9.5:1) motor to eliminate a lot of blow down you get from the big cams. The exhaust cam is the one you need to do.

Rob started down around 158whp as well.

Email him for details.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Ahh, damn. Well 11hp isn't TOO bad, but certainly not for the price of the cam set. Definately play around with the tuning and let us know what happens.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Registered
249 Posts
yea you're right. we made the mistake too, intake isretarded and exhaust is advanced. we only did it because our head and block are both machined to their max

G

·
0 Posts
If you saw my post on my engine rebuild I felt like I lost alot of power even with all of that extra mods. Today I just wanted to see something and advanced my timeing all the way and I don't know why but not only was there no pinging but I had alot more power and chirp my tires in third which I was not able to do I will be getting my ngk-r platinum plugs replacing my bosch +4 I will let you all know how that turns out.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Also keep in mind that these dumb 98 cars take their sweet time learning cams. I had the same thing happen to me putting in a 91 intake cam in my 98.

This may not be true with your car Naji as I had the 98 ECU at the time and I believe you have a 95-97 JWT ECU now. But I thought it was worth to comment.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE and crashed 93 NX2000

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I dont see how someone can make a summary judgement off given info. I mean we do have learning ecu's so its probaly going to take a few mile, starts, something, before its fully going Id say. Then after that, Im sure plenty of tuneing is needed. Not only ign. timing, but things like cam gears, then then maybe even some playing round with other parts. Maybe they are makeing the power, but are being held back by another part of the system that is somehow wrong. Like maybe the exhuast isnt open enough to let them breathe, or the header, plugs be old, wires started to go bad, cap/rotor/coil, going down the hill. It could be all sorts of things. Summary judgement isnt something I would do.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
I dont see how someone can make a summary judgement off given info. I mean we do have learning ecu's so its probaly going to take a few mile, starts, something, before its fully going Id say.</font>

I have had the cams for over 1000 miles before I dynoed them. The ECU has been set and reset multiple times. So I know that is not the problem.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Then after that, Im sure plenty of tuneing is needed. Not only ign. timing, but things like cam gears,</font>
Ignition timing might be an issue, but not cam timing. JWT DOES NOT recommend cam timing. They specifically told me that these cams are plug and play. The cams were ground to the specs of Rob's car AFTER he adjusted his cam timing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">then then maybe even some playing round with other parts. Maybe they are makeing the power, but are being held back by another part of the system that is somehow wrong. Like maybe the exhuast isnt open enough to let them breathe,</font>
The exhaust is a 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust with a straight through dynomax muffler and a cherry bomb perforated mid muffler. You do not need more than a 2.5 inch for an NA car, any NA car.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">or the header, plugs be old, wires started to go bad, cap/rotor/coil, going down the hill. It could be all sorts of things. Summary judgement isnt something I would do.</font>
The header is practically new. It has been Swain tech coated. there are no leaks or cracks. Plugs have been changes just before the cams were installed. New cap and rotor as well. Wires have only 30K miles on them.

The car has been checked and double checked on a Techtom. All variables are within the FSM specs.

Aside from ignition timing, I cannot thing of anything else. I will do an ignition sweep on a dyno. If that does not work, then I am removing the cams and selling them.

My only conclusion is that these cams do not work on low port engines as well as high port engines. So 91-93.5 SE-R owners rejoice

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts