SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Z28=mullett
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '91 classic today(finally!!) from courtesy nissan(yes, that courtesy nissan)and was looking at the serial #on the motor. Right by where it says SR20, it has those #s, but they dont all match the VIN, are they supposed to? Like 2 of them match, does this sound right, or has this motor been swapped? It has a gold VC with a black spark plug valley thing. Odometer reads 84k, car is excellent condition, but this made me wonder. TIA

Parker

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hey Parker if it's the white one it's a sweet car. Jarrod from Desoto owned sence it was new. No motor swap in there and lots of TLC. You need to start hangin with the dallas guys. Were usualy around the shop in denton on saterday not to far from you. Keep in touch.............:cool:

·
Z28=mullett
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, its the white one and it is pretty sweet, thats cool that you knew the guy, i'll have to start hanging with the dallas crew.. by the way, do you know if the car has a new clutch? Im almost sure it does, the damn thing chirps 2nd and 3rd hard as hell, and i doubt it could w/ 84k on it

Thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
yo i work in coppell on the weekdays. how the heck can you chirp 3rd hard? i have a fairly new clutch and only with my new cone filter i was able to get 2nd pretty good... 3rd doesnt emit not even a little squeak. i hvae a 93 with 80k miles on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
WhiteSER wondered:
So does anyone know why the VIN's don't match?
They just don't - the engines aren't serialized to the chassis like some other manufacturers have. Neither of my SE-Rs have matching numbers (they're not even close the same format between engine & chassis) even though I bought one of them brand new.

·
Z28=mullett
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, i was just curious... hey limited slip where do you work? I am a junior at CHS, by the way... we'll have to get some SR20 guys together soon... and about chirping 3rd, its not HARD as in like crazy, but it definitely chirps... and i was spinning repeatedly into 2nd for ~40ft (when i had to let off) at autox today. Thats where we need some sr20 guys is out at autox. today it was at pennington field in bedford, lots of fun, but it was the last event of this season. the next one is sometime in march, we need to get some people together.

Parker

·
Registered
723 Posts
im in the library till 9pm on monday, tuesday, some wednesday, and thursdays =/

lots of nice car around that area... btu the only one that i got a chance to race was a si w/ exhaust that i beat.

we should run it down 121 sometimes... im stock with cone filter and bumped timing =X

G

·
My car! Take good care of her!

Playatx99,

You bought my beloved old girl. I bought her new in 1991 and traded her last month to Courtesy for an Altima 3.5SE. That was the only car produced in the last 10 years that could get me to part with her. (Sadly, it wasn't an even swap.)

The engine is original, the clutch is original, the suspension is original... you get the idea. There's no monkey business with the odometer, either -- those 84K miles are all she's got on her.

E-mail me privately if you'd like more information. I'll be glad to fill you in. In the meantime, drive her hard but responsibly -- don't be a punk, in other words. ;) I'm glad she found a good home with someone who can appreciate the car. If you ever make it down to DeSoto, maybe you could drop by and let me see her. Keep in mind if you do that, however, you just might not get it back. God, how I miss that car.

Jarrod K. Wright
'98 Altima SE 5-speed
'02 Altima 3.5SE 5-speed

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hey Jarrodod how you like the alty? Those things rock.The first time Vince and I took one out for a test drive I about s--t. Very nice car. Keep in touch. I'll try to keep an eye on the se-r for you..................james

·
Z28=mullett
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey jarrod thanks for takin such good care of the car, its in great shape. hey guys last night i got into the first real race in the se-r. i ran a new maxima, im almost positive it was an 02, but if not, it was definitely a 00, it was auto, i caught a light w him on denton tap(you know where that is ltd slip, right by sonic) and i stayed RIGHT next to him all the way to 80, then shut it down, i mean it was dead even, i was very impressed.

·
Registered
723 Posts
yeah man i ran a black si up denton tap the other day. for the visible mods it had suspension and atleast an exhaust... walked that sucker at the very top of 2nd and 3rd. i love it how they have supershort gearing haha :D (redline at 58 and ~83)

G

·
James,

This isn't SR20DE related at all, but since you asked...

I love the Altima. The engine is a brute, a total beast. Motorweek broadcast their test of a 5-speed model running zero to 60 in 5.9 seconds and the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds at 100 mph. I don't think the car is quite that fast, but add three-tenths to each of those figures while dropping four miles an hour from the trap speed and you'll be pretty safe.

The only major quibble I have with the car is the interior. It's cheap. I've heard rumors that the new SE-R suffers from the same problem. The design is nice, but the materials are strictly Kia-esque. Acres of flimsy plastic. Vinyl shift boot. Rock-hard cowl. Joint seams. Thin, unpadded carpet. Clearly, Nissan spent all the money on the engine, brakes and Skyline-derived multilink rear suspension and simply said, The hell with it, nobody'll notice if we stick a Korean interior in there.

Well, I did. ;) But I still love the car. I didn't buy it to be coddled in a Mercedes interior. And the exterior styling is a real knockout for a four-door family sedan. It makes Accords and the new Camry look dowdy by comparison. I do wish Nissan had dropped in a VLSD in the manual-transmissioned models, as you can induce wheelspin well into second gear without any effort at all.

But to answer your question, it's a fantastic car. Really great. I look at as an SE-R for family guys.

Jarrod K. Wright
'98 Altima SE 5-speed
'02 Altima 3.5SE 5-speed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts