SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At autocrosses do any of you have any trouble with gti's are they typically slower of faster than a se-r.. my bud wants a gti and i think ill be faster... any opinions?

[This message has been edited by Black93 (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
what year GTi and SE-R?

I personnally love the old '87 GTIs even though hey are slow like molases.
Thye look nice with the headlight conversion kit. However I would never pick a GTI over an SE-R.

------------------

http://94_redse-r.tripod.com/FASTSER/

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im wondering about about a 2nd gen 2 liter 16v gti.. i think they are 89 to 91.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
if you are going for a second gen GTI, definitely go with a '92. It might be hard to find, but they upped the HP that year to the 130's i believe. 0-60 time in the mid to high 7's.

second gen GTI's are 89-92 if i remember correctly. good luck

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aahhhhhh ill never get a gti!! its my bud that wants one... i was just wondering if anyone has come in contact with any gtis at autocrosses and if they are any competition

G

·
Yeah, just last week too. They are close but have been slower so far. (novice vs. novice) The three I've raced against were all the 2.0's and the one with the better BFG's was the closest. GTi drivers dig SE-R's too

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
I am a huge VW fan, but over the years have become more partial to Nissan. The quality of Nissan and its engineering is leaps and bounds ahead of VeeDub. Heck, just yesterday, a simple task of replacing plug wires, cap and rotor, resulted in uneccasary anguish when the damn plug wires couldn't be reached easily cuz the intake manifold folds over the plugs. then, the rotor seized onto the distributor and then broke when i tried to pull it off. if it had been a nice little screw on type like on the SR motor, all would have been good. but nooooo...i had to crack the stupid rotor till it decided to come off.

after that little incident (its a 1995 VW GTI, btw), I don't know if i wanna have any more of them....

still a nice drive though
k, enough rambling...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I consistently run faster than GTI's. I was about half a second up on a VR6 Golf and about .3 sec slower than a VR6 Corrado last autocross I ran. This was in STS also so those cars were prepped as was mine. (sorta)

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
8,148 Posts
Actually a A3 or an A4 VR6 with intake and chip will walk an SE-R lightly modded in the top of 2nd to third. The VR6 is slow out the hole IMHO (well that was a GLX my friend has) but their traction control kinda gives them an advantage launching.
As for the older GTi's prpoerly set up will kick an SR20's ass mod for mod. I have come across some fast ass 8V and 16V's. But a properly set up SE-R with cams will probally kick a GTI's ass. The key to SR20's seem to be the right exhaust and cam (S4-C1) set up.

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i am not into Autocrossing YET cause my drivers license is standing in the way but i have test driven a vr6 gti, a tdi bug(mom's fiance wants gas mileage so i went along), and my mom owns a Jetta 1.8t i sorta influenced that. For maintenance we acquired a loaner 2001 Jetta that was a 2.0 liter, i can say that my se-r's handling feels as good or better with worn struts as my mom's jetta with the sport suspension and 65 series tires. After my AGX's it was no competition. The 2 liter w/o sport suspension i liken to my old Plymouth Voyager(down low torque and lots of body roll).. But i am not so sure about A2 16 V they are what i am worried about... Recently i saw an A2 16v jetta in European Car Mag with 185 wheel HP!!! I know an se-r can have a turbo but 185NA is impressive.

[This message has been edited by Black93 (edited 09-10-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts