SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I connected the exhaust cam wire, to the wire of intake cam, for activating both at 5800 on my Pulsar VZ-R. It works.
On VZ-R the wire of intake cam is color pink-black stripe, and the exhaust is darkviolet. The two wires are in the same position as the ones of SR20VE ECU.

What i realized is that when the 2 cams activate at the same time (5800) the car feels like is chocking between 6000 - 6300, but after this range of rpm IT FEELS MUCH MORE powerfull. Plus when you shift in 3rd the car keeps the two cams open and is much more faster.
(My engine SR16VE has no mods, only a pod filter and a muffler)
Any ideas about what may be causing this?...
(Thanks to bill)

·
Registered
48 Posts
finally i hear of someone who has done stuff on the vzr

I too will be getting my mss to switch on the cams but i am thinking about switching both on at 5500

since you say there is a slight bog I might try switching intake cam at 5000 and exhaust at 5800 rpm

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same mods as u

have u any quarter mile time cause stock all we managed was 15.8 with a lot of wheels spin and dropping out of third stage every time there is a gear shift

give me as much info as u can cause I am going to install my mss this month and take the car to the track november

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The advantage of activating both at 5800 is certainly the 3rd gear on VZ-R. The gain of power and speed on 3rd, is huge even without headers!

As far as i know here in cyprus some guys have installed E-manage on their VZ-R. I l try find out more about this.
As for the times, I l try some quarter mile times and i l let you know.

I think the best setting will be 5600 intake cam - 6100 exhaust cam

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
It sounds like you are turning the exhaust cam on too early. Why do you want to activate both cams at the same time? You make more mid range power by switching them seperate, that's why it was setup that way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
"It sounds like you are turning the exhaust cam on too early".

Thats true man but the reason that i tried to connect the two cams together was the 3rd gear. Because on VZ-Rs when you shift from 2nd to 3rd, it drops out of vvl and you have to wait until the first cam activates. Imagine how long you have to wait until the exhaust cam activates..

The best way to do it is certainly with mss. And from the feeling that my car gave me from this setting was:
Intake cam activation at 5600.
Exhaust cam activation at 6100 - 6300 maybe

·
Registered
48 Posts
josvzr

the stock setting for intake is 5800rpm and exhaust is what 7500
correct me if i am wrong

when you switch from 2nd to third doesnt the rpm drop to about 5000-5500rpm hence why the need to ensure that the intake cam stays on by setting it within this range

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
VZ-R - SR16VE Stock ecu activation points: 5800 intake - 7100 exhaust

Ok thats how it goes...i checked that today...
1st to 2nd...it drops to 5500
2nd to 3rd it drops to 5700

What kind of mounts do you have? You have the stock ones? Because when i changed mine i placed the ones of sr20de and at the beggining the car wasnt droping out of the vvl - intake cam (because they were hard new).

·
Registered
48 Posts
so Jos bearing in mind this info setting the intake cam to switch on at 5400rpm seems a good compromise

setting the exhaust to 6300rpm might be good aswell just speculating

i have the stock engine mounts

there is a way my friends use to stiffen their mounts will post the info later

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
i got mines at 4500 for both..feels great..get a fpr and tune it with a wideband to see whats the best engagement for ur driving...wish they had pulsars here in the states

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
i engage both cams on the sr20ve at 4500..feels better to me..i tried 5k and 5500 but i hate to wait for the pop..u use the fpr to fine tune it with a wideband..wheather its cruising..low spi or race high psi..ull know what fuel psi gives u the best feeling..everyones diff..i drive my car like its a ferrari

1 - 20 of 35 Posts