SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...Just wanted to post a lil something I learned today. For the last week and a half I was hearing a rattling sound coming from the left side of my valve cover. Obviously though it was the timing chain hitting the upper guide or something else under the valve cover. Took it to a stealership and had one of their mechanics listen to it..He suggested it might be tensioner wearing out. I talked to a couple of fellow SE-R owners and had them listen to it and they agreed...tensioner was worn out. So I did my reasearch on the topic and found some dope info from SE-R.net the only thing is most folks with that problem were 91,92,93 B13s. ( I guess they changed the tensioner after that. Plus most of those cars had a decent amount of mileage ) I was surprised that my 96 with 80,000 would already have that problem but I drive it hard so I didn't think much of it. So I go to the dealership and order my tensioner and the gasket. Get it yesterday and installed it this morning. Old tensioner looked fine...once new tensioner was installed...started her up and noise was still there..ok..so I pull of the Valve cover...look around...chain looks good...guides look good...everything looks fine...But just to make sure that the chain wasn't hitting the upper guide...I removed it...put valve cover back on...still there...so I sit there fawking angry ready to give up all hope on my SR20DE..and then I start investigating one more time...rev the motor and listen..noise is definetly coming from the valve cover...rev the motor again and try to pinpoint the exact location..I start looking down at the passenger motor mount...and low and behold...underneath the alternator belt I see a bolt turn when I rev the motor..I look closer..it a 17mm bolt that bolts the alternator to the engine. I turn off the car and then squeeze my hands in there and touch the bolt...it moves..I trace it and on the otherside of the alternator..under my header I see the other end..touch it...it moves...I take a wrench to it and tighten it down...start the car back up and...Boom!!!! j/k...no more noise...I was so fawking pissed and relieved at the same time....so the moral of this long story..(sorry guys) If you've got a B14 with less than 100,000 miles...and you get what you think is timing chain clatter...check to make sure you don't have a loose alternator bolt! Save you the price of a tensioner and gasket! I swear though everybody..( SE-R gurus...and a Nissan Mechanic ) that heard it...thought it was the timing chain clattering!

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (stock)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Laf, I had the same problem after I installed my pullies. Apparantly I didn't tighten the alternator pivot bolt down enough. Made the same metallic sound. Mike G told me it was probably the alternator pivot bolt. Low and behold it was. The nut had actually come off, but I was able to retrieve it and tighten it down. No more metallic sound.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike sr20de:
How much does a timing chain cost? (replaced)
when about, does it go bad?
</font>

HA!!!!!! I don't think you wanna know.....

Ready? Installed at the Nissan dealer.....parts and labor.....

$1,250!!!!!!!!!

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
BTW, a timing CHAIN should never go bad. CHAIN is the key word here. The Hondas use belts which need replacing occasionaly. Well, within limits. Maybe after 600,000 miles.

Ray K has a 340,000 mile SE-R. Still runs strong and put down like 116hp to the wheels and NE Dyno day, original chain.

G

·
Thanks Snoop,

Great info. I'll check mine tonight. Have to get my bro to rev the motor for me while I look. I have also heard of motor mounts but that would never cause a continious noise.

Thanks,

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for posting! A friend of mine with an NX was going nuts with the same problem. I'll pass the info along. (I hope it puts his problem to rest.)

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
Hey guys...Just wanted to post a lil something I learned today. For the last week and a half I was hearing a rattling sound coming from the left side of my valve cover. Obviously though it was the timing chain hitting the upper guide or something else under the valve cover. Took it to a stealership and had one of their mechanics listen to it..He suggested it might be tensioner wearing out. I talked to a couple of fellow SE-R owners and had them listen to it and they agreed...tensioner was worn out. So I did my reasearch on the topic and found some dope info from SE-R.net the only thing is most folks with that problem were 91,92,93 B13s. ( I guess they changed the tensioner after that. Plus most of those cars had a decent amount of mileage ) I was surprised that my 96 with 80,000 would already have that problem but I drive it hard so I didn't think much of it. So I go to the dealership and order my tensioner and the gasket. Get it yesterday and installed it this morning. Old tensioner looked fine...once new tensioner was installed...started her up and noise was still there..ok..so I pull of the Valve cover...look around...chain looks good...guides look good...everything looks fine...But just to make sure that the chain wasn't hitting the upper guide...I removed it...put valve cover back on...still there...so I sit there fawking angry ready to give up all hope on my SR20DE..and then I start investigating one more time...rev the motor and listen..noise is definetly coming from the valve cover...rev the motor again and try to pinpoint the exact location..I start looking down at the passenger motor mount...and low and behold...underneath the alternator belt I see a bolt turn when I rev the motor..I look closer..it a 17mm bolt that bolts the alternator to the engine. I turn off the car and then squeeze my hands in there and touch the bolt...it moves..I trace it and on the otherside of the alternator..under my header I see the other end..touch it...it moves...I take a wrench to it and tighten it down...start the car back up and...Boom!!!! j/k...no more noise...I was so fawking pissed and relieved at the same time....so the moral of this long story..(sorry guys) If you've got a B14 with less than 100,000 miles...and you get what you think is timing chain clatter...check to make sure you don't have a loose alternator bolt! Save you the price of a tensioner and gasket! I swear though everybody..( SE-R gurus...and a Nissan Mechanic ) that heard it...thought it was the timing chain clattering!

</font>
Guess what, i just replaced my tensioner this afternoon because of this very noise. I swore it was the oil pressure not being held by having a bad oil fliter check valve. Swapped filters still there. Today changed the tensioner and I have to wait for the oil to drain back to in order to see if it helps. I am going downstairs right now to check the alternator bolts. Thanks for the advice. One hand wa$hes the other! Remember that!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">check to make sure you don't have a loose alternator bolt! </font>
MarC's was loose after a cam swap at SaltFest. Well, that's when everybody noticed. It was probably loose before that. The first time I did my pulleys I forgot to tighten it but remembered that night. Whew!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts