SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the waste gate supposed to open at idle? Mine is, and other people I have asked thought it was supposed to be closed. I thought it only opens above nine pounds of boost.
Thanks

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Shawn, your wastegate should only open when it reaches either 1) the rating for your spring or 2) your pre-set boost setting from a boost controller. It shout NOT be open at idle.

·
Registered
782 Posts
ShawnSE-R said:
that is what I thought. broken piece of **** delta gate.
Deltagates are notorious for coming apart. I still have a Deltagate and it works perfect. I rebuild my wastegare every 3-6 months. All you need is a new spring (~ $10.00) and a new Diaphram (~ $20.00) . You take it apart, put in the new spring and the new diaphram, and put it back together. Viola, you have a new wastgate! Deltagates work fine, you just need to rebuild them every so often.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is the wastegate open even with car not running? If so, then the wastagate is defective. If it is only open when the car is running and at idle, then there is a chance you hooked up the vacuum line to the wrong port.

You want to connect the vacuum line to the lower port (under the diaphragm). Connecting to the upper port (above the diaphragm), will cause the wastegate to open at idle b/c the vacuum is sucking it open.

Check your connections and see if this is your culprit.

Good luck,

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My vacuum is connected from the side of the waste gate to the turbine housing and from the bottom of the waste gate to the blow off valve. I believe this is correct. Or am I a moron. It sounds terrible, like a rattle snake. **** analogy but all I can think of. I have yet to rebuild it, I will go ahead and do that first. Before it was divorced I could never figure out where that sound was coming from. Now I know.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
ShawnSE-R said:
My vacuum is connected from the side of the waste gate to the turbine housing and from the bottom of the waste gate to the blow off valve. I believe this is correct. Or am I a moron. It sounds terrible, like a rattle snake. **** analogy but all I can think of. I have yet to rebuild it, I will go ahead and do that first. Before it was divorced I could never figure out where that sound was coming from. Now I know.
Like Jay said you only need to connect the one under the diaphram. The other is not used unless you have a boost controller. If you have a boost controller it will use the port above the diaphram. BUT in any case you will always need the one underneath the diaphram connected to you vacuum line which also would be connected to the BOV which also would be connected to your fuel pressure regulator and finally your manifold.

·
Registered
302 Posts

wich one are you talking about...Some guys don't have the f-max manifold and some do

Which port for vacume and wich for Boost controller

Because with the FMAX your upside down.

I Will be needing the info soon as well

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
It doesn't matter whether it's sideways, upside down or rightside up. That's why I said under/above the diaphram. The diaphram inside the wastegate is ported on either side. One side when pressurized opens the wastegate valve fighting against the spring. The other side in effect when pressurized helps the spring by preventing the valve from opening.

In your pic it would be the port nearest the flanges that would receive manifold pressure. The one on the very top would be for the boost controller.

QuickZeek said:

wich one are you talking about...Some guys don't have the f-max manifold and some do

Which port for vacume and wich for Boost controller

Because with the FMAX your upside down.

I Will be needing the info soon as well

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one on top "B" goes to the manifold, blowoff valve , boost controller. If there is not a boost controller then it stays open. As I was told do not connect anything to it "B" unless you are using a boost controller. The one on the side "A" back feeds into the turbine housing. Where ever it is on your turbo depends on where it was drilled or factory installed. On my turbo I put the fitting for vacuum on the tail of the compressor housing.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
My deltagate is leaking from where the plunger comes out of the pressurized piece. So, I leak boost, and my wastegate doesn't open till about 17psi!! A slight problem when I only have enough injector for 8psi!! I need a new one...

·
fabricator
841 Posts
do yourself a favor and get the TiAl 35mm wastegate, aka "the deltagate replacement", aka "Warrantygate" . bolts right up to anything that used a deltagate. They aren't very expensive either. TiAl made this just because so many deltagates have gone bad. Deltagates have killed engines because of the diaphragm going bad. don't get another one. my opinion

andris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts