SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So saturday was a BMWCCA autocross event at the Marina Airport down near Monterey. There was a 1974 BMW 2002 that was on course. It was kinda tipsy during his first two runs; his soft suspension contributing to SIGNIFICANT body roll. The announcers even made a funny comment about it.

No one was laughing after his third run though.. While trying to negotiate a cone after a quick chicane the car drifted left with intensity, then the driver snapped the car back to the right, and the car leaned and leaned, and it just went over. It rolled once onto its roof, smashed the windshield, and flopped back onto its wheels.. The driver was not seriously injured, but his car was, of course, pretty much destroyed..

And then later on in the day. A modded E30 M3 on Hoosiers got up on two wheels during a tight turn and the crowd got quite a scare. But he manage avert disaster.

How common are these AutoX rollovers? After today, it really doesn't seem that hard to go a little too crazy or have a little too much traction and just tip the car over...

Have any of you personally witnessed a rollover during an Autocross event?

-patchy

PS: my se-r was did pretty well on the course and I managed to keep at least 3 tires on the ground at all times. :)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I've never seen a rollover. Usually the ones you hear about are like Matt said: sucky shocks + sticky tires.

E30 BMW's are pretty notorious for bicycling.

Pat

·
I drive a race car again!
1,370 Posts
Course dependant as well. We had an M3 Lightweight take a roll several years ago when it slid sideways off course and dug both right side wheels into the grass/dirt at the same time. Up and over, lazy roll on to it's roof. Unfortunately by the time I got to the car, a group of industrious corner workers went ahead and rolled the car back over.....via it's left side, thus completing the roll and causing even more damage.... :( And this was a veteran autocrosser's car (30 years), not a rookie.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
i've seen a E30 DSP 328 bicycle and then slam down subsequently loosing the front wheel... there is a video of it somewhere.. i'll try to find it..

Pat knows who i am talking about.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
BigB said:
i've seen a E30 DSP 328 bicycle and then slam down subsequently loosing the front wheel... there is a video of it somewhere.. i'll try to find it..

I thought it was an E36.

Tom Bleh and Terry Baker bicycled Tom's E36 a few times in Topeka. :eek:

Pat

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
slowSER said:
I thought it was an E36.

Pat
D'oh.. you are right Pat :redface:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Many year ago, there was a race prepped Merkur XR4TI with a Ford 5.0L motor and fresh suspension that got up onto two wheels after a chicago box.
And then there was that turbo firefly on R-comps up on two wheels at the canadian nationals this year.

·
Registered
496 Posts
slowSER said:
I thought it was an E36.

Pat
Bleh...............did he "shake the tree" as well?

·
Racing Addict
254 Posts
Happenned here once as well, about the same way this guy got rolled over. The guy had a soft suspension + Hoosiers on a light car (Pontiac Firefly). He lost it to the right, then tried to catch it back by snapping to the left. The "balancing act" made the car tip over.

Just think of it this way: When you see riots, people flip cars over by balancing them left and right until they flip. What happened to the guy you're telling us about is the exact same thing.

Lesson is, when you lost control and you know your suspension is not in great shape, stop fighting with the car, and simply depress the clutch and brake pedals, and hang on for the ride until everything stops. When you go into such big a skid, you know it's not going to be an FTD run anyway.

A poorly prepared car, along with driver error are to blame here IMO.

BTW, this does not happen often. It only happened once here in my 3-season experience timespan.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
BigB said:

I thought his problem was from using a wheel spacer without longer studs. Maybe you are talking about another guy though.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
eric96ser said:
I thought his problem was from using a wheel spacer without longer studs. Maybe you are talking about another guy though.
nope, same guy... loosing the wheel was the washer/spacers/studs... and slamming down on it

but that car has been on two wheels a couple times i've witnessed myself...

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
BigB said:
nope, same guy... loosing the wheel was the washer/spacers/studs... and slamming down on it

but that car has been on two wheels a couple times i've witnessed myself...
Have you found that video of him from Atlanta? I think Jeff Cashmore posted it initially but haven't been able to find it.

Pat

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
i used to have it on my hard drive here but it got infected and had to re-intialize... i'll keep searcing

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
I don't think I'd go both feet in on a car that was up on two wheels. The resulting load transfer might be enough to push it over.

·
I lika da turns
710 Posts
At Topeka last year our FSAE rolled. The car got sideways in a slalom, hit a crack in the concrete, got up on two wheels, and we think then the tailwind combined with the speed of the car and the flat undertray helped push the car over. This coming from a car that can pull two g's in a corner. This was a really fluke thing but it can happen to any car. Even a purpose built racecar.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
yeah i got lehigh's fsae on two wheels in a slalom and wound up in a tree at 80mph. it was during a test run to set up the car for autox. thank god it was the previous year's car. major damage to a lot of one-off peices

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just found out more info about this specific incident. It sounds that there was a High speed offset which fully loaded up the suspension and tires. THey were old Tall tires and reports are that they either rolled off the bead or at least very close and that the skid marks ended and there were chunks in the pavement where the wheels dug in, causing the car to flip.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts