SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The T25 (and T28 I think) have coolant running thru the center section. (I think) the HS T3 and FMAX T3/TO4E do not. Yet, the T25 supposedly gets so hot at higher boost levels than the bigger turbos that it becomes detrimental to the motor, getting so hot as to cause detonation. Yet I never hear about the other end of the spectrum, a T3/TO4E that is NOT water-cooled, become so ineffiencient at higher boost levels as to cause this. One would think that the T25 would just run out of steam and just stop making power but would be cooled, and that the T3/TO4E would be the one that got hot and caused detonation.

I know there is error in my reasoning as I know this is not the case, but I do not know the error. Turbo gurus, can you straighten this one out?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Well my T3/T4 is water cooled. When I asked Mike at Road Race engieneering if it really mattered he said "well if you want the turbo to last keep it water cooled" so pretty much I'll keep mine water cooled since I have the ports for it factory anyway.

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Ben,

I speculate that maybe its because the t25 and t28 turbos spin much faster ( 3 times??) than the t3 turbos. This would in effect generate much more heat. Anyone?

-saaby

[This message has been edited by Saaby (edited 05-23-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
stay with water cooled center. It only does good things for your turbo setup.

G

·
0 Posts
water cooling keeps the center bushing cool so the added heat of exhaust and friction of spinning 180,000 rpm does not cause the oil to "coke" in the oil feed line therefore restricting the oil flow to the turbo. The reason T-25's at higher boost levels tend to cause detonation is because of their overall inefficiency. As boost levels increase so does intake temperature, which under normal circumstances causes detonation. T3/T4 hybrids do not need to spin so fast to create the airflow needed to make the same amount of power. In respect, they do not heat up the air as much so they gain efficiency thus improving horsepower at similar boost levels!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts