SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an article claiming that with water injection you can avoid having to retard your timing on a turbo'd car. I was wondering how accurate this is. I have a B15 I'm looking at mildly turboing (6psi) and I would like to make it as simple as possible. Would I be able to rig a boost activated water injection system and not mess with timing?

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AZ 2K SE:

I saw an article claiming that with water injection you can avoid having to retard your timing on a turbo'd car. I was wondering how accurate this is.
</font>
You don't have to retard your timing *as much*. Therefore, you can get more power with less internal stress on the motor.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I have a B15 I'm looking at mildly turboing (6psi) and I would like to make it as simple as possible. Would I be able to rig a boost activated water injection system and not mess with timing?
Whoa, whoa, you aren't just going to put a turbo on your car, run some water injection, retard your base timing, and call it good, are you?

If you want simple, get one of the turbo kits that comes with a JWT ECU. That's just plug and play. You leave your timing at 15 degrees, you plug in some bigger injectors, and the ECU takes care of everything for you. YOu can even get the ECU to trigger your water injection for you, and it will add ignition timing back in to compensate for the fact that you can run more timing with water.

JWT ECU's and turbo SR20's go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Once you experience the combination, you won't ever again want one without the other.

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just kicking around ideas. Also I had a few other things that would have been thrown in the mix beyond the things mentioned.
The only problem with the ECU idea is trying to figure out what pins need to be relocated and to where. Someone who e-mailed JWT was told that not all the emissions stuff was hooked up on the show car they did. They also said it may not be able to be hooked up and we were on our own in figuring things out. If I could just plug and play I would. It just isn't an option yet.
The only other thing I can think of is to use a boost regulated fuel pressure riser, an MSD boost regulated timing retard unit, and an a/f meter as the heart of the fuel/timing set-up. I'm not sure if the MSD unit will work with our ignition set-up tho.

·
Registered
353 Posts

The only problem with the ECU idea is trying to figure out what pins need to be relocated and to where.
</font>

Lots of people on the main SE-R list can help you out with this. This has been done before, it's been figured out.

Someone who e-mailed JWT was told that not all the emissions stuff was hooked up on the show car they did. They also said it may not be able to be hooked up and we were on our own in figuring things out.
The evaporative emissions/charcoal cannister stuff won't work. Big deal. Your car will pass smog and any visual inspection.

If I could just plug and play I would. It just isn't an option yet.
It pretty much has all been figured out. Ray Kawski has a web page and everything lising it. It's just some soldering.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a boost regulated fuel pressure riser, an MSD boost regulated timing retard unit, and an a/f meter as the heart of the fuel/timing set-up.
No offense, but this is a totally booty way to do things, and you will be greatly risking blowing up your motor.

Just do a little more research into putting the ECU into your car. Like I say, it's already been figured out, and the information is available. Search the SE-R.net archives for Ray Kawski and '98 JWT ECU or something like that, and you'll find a wealth of good information.

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks. That's some great info. Yes I know the non-ECU way sucks ass, but it seemed like the only way. With any luck I can pull off the ECU way. The only thing that bothers me is the charcoal/evap emssns thing. We have the IM240 here and they are real serious about it. As long as it passes both visual and smog I'll be happy tho.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I've just serached about 20 pages of threads on both items-and I'm almost blind. I went back to the 3/1 post where some called JWT (not e-mailed)and was told to use the 1995 ECU. Is this different from what Ray did? His website is under construction and I didn't find anything about his ECU yet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ok, I've just serached about 20 pages of threads on both items-and I'm almost blind. I went back to the 3/1 post where some called JWT (not e-mailed)and was told to use the 1995 ECU. Is this different from what Ray did? His website is under construction and I didn't find anything about his ECU yet. </font>
E-mail Ray privately. He's a very nice guy and he will help you out.

Rob

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ben, (yes, ben, your leader and mentor) has also done this swap, and I don't really believe you need water injection at 6 psi, I would not worry about it until you get past a bar or so. (14.6 psi)

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
34 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
...I don't really believe you need water injection at 6 psi...[/B]</font>
Yes, I also agree with Brian's opinion, since the water injection device needed whenever you get a very high intake pressure more than 10 psi! (I think so, if it's wrong, plez also give me a correction)
So maybe you can save that money and make other worthy investments on your car!
Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts