SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up peeps
my water pump is out and i need to install or have someon install it soon. I have been tempted to install it myself but as i read my manuals (hayes and chilton) im still a little blurry on the subject. Each gives different accounts plus no pics for the sr20 pump. So i guess my purpose here is to ask if anyone has done the install or want to do it. either hook me up with some nice detailed instructions or wanna get together and install the bad boy
TIA
Marzon18 91 se-r

[This message has been edited by Marzon18 (edited 01-27-2001).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's prety easy just remove your belts (I hope you have small hands)before you take the belts off loosen the bolts on the pump pully then remove the bolts that hold the water pump on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yes it does have to come out.just support the motor take your r/f wheel off and remove the spash sheild lower the motor a little bit
I supported the motor under the cross beam that way I could raise or lower it where I needed it.It was alot simpler than I thought took me about an hour and half to complete..

·
Registered
329 Posts
looks okay but who made that one? Is the impeller painted blue? Is this a Pep Boys water pump?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Probedude said:
looks okay but who made that one? Is the impeller painted blue? Is this a Pep Boys water pump?
Yep, it's blue. Got it at Autozone. It is made by some company in Italy. I hope it works anyway. ;)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
IS the blue part plastic?

·
Registered
513 Posts
AaroNX said:
IS the blue part plastic?

I really hope not, if so return it immediately!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just did my water pump on thursday and friday and staurday and again tomarrow. Nothing but little problems and bad weather. Got it all together put in coolant, and found out i cracked the thermostat housing. Going out tomarrow to a junkyard to pick up a new one. It is definatly tough to get all them bolts loosen and tightened. I did all mine by just removing the power steering/water pump/crank belt. Never even loosened tha alt belt.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just got in from doing mine -- literally took all day. Had to move the engine up and down, up and down in order to get to all the bolts. Didn't touch thermostat housing, so far as I know.

The biggest problem was that one of the crossmember bolts got stripped as I was taking it out. Evidently a fairly common problem, as evidenced by this thread.

Anyway, so far, so good. It started anyway and turns! The old one I took out is totally seized.

Major PITA.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yeah you don't have to remove the t-stat, but i did it because i would rather do it while i had drained the system, then it go later and have to drain it again. It was just a safety percaution.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I found the job rather difficult, but I guess not as hard as those water pumps on some cars that are belted along with the timing belt!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts