SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my PR CAI about a month ago now and it is working awesome. My problem is that it has been raining like crazy down here in south Florida for the last week or so. There are a couple of flooded areas. I do not drive through the puddles but I am nervous about driving in the rain. My question is do you SE-R peeps that have CAI's is it a problem to drive in the rain? I know not to drive through big puddles (Common sense ) . I was just wondering what you guy s have to say about this. TIA! :D

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
I drive in the rain all the time and have never had a problem. Just avoid standing water if at all possible. I accidently drove into a pretty deep puddle once and instantly I killed the ignition and coasted the rest of the way through, just as a precaution.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I realize hydro-lock can be very bad, but does it usually leave permanent damage? If so, how? TIA

Joel

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, it permanently damages the engine.

Hydrolock occurs when water enters the cylinders. Normally, the cylinders compress a mixture of air and gasoline. Water is not compressible, so if it gets into the cylinder, the piston slams into it at high speed and bad things happen.

Ben
'93 NX

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
another thing to remember
in the late 60's early 70's muscle cars had functioning hood scopes and they drove through the rain all the time. Unless you submerge your filter you are A-OK

O

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you are still worried, I know how Florida can get becuase I used to live in Pompano Beach, then you might invest in the AEM bypass valve. I have heard nothing but good stuff about it! :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
OnyxEros said:
another thing to remember
in the late 60's early 70's muscle cars had functioning hood scopes and they drove through the rain all the time. Unless you submerge your filter you are A-OK

O
Not completely true. Yes, rain should be fine. You probably won't get enough water in the engine to hydrolock it from rain. You do have to worry about puddles. You probably don't even have to submerge the filter to hydrolock your engine. The difference between a hood scoop and a CAI is location. The CAI faces down to the street. All you have to do is get the thing close enough to a puddle and it can suck in water because it is like a vacuum. There was some discussion on the main list about this a while ago. George Roffe mentioned that the engine is essentially a 140+ hp shop vac. Think about that for a minute.

Ben
'93 NX

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Whats going on bro!!!
Hey when I had my '91 CRX it was slammed and I had a CAI.
I would drive in the rain all damn DizAY!!!
The filter was right up on the bumper scoop, so it was half exposed to the precipitation!!:D
When I would clean it out it would have mud in it. I know it was crazy, but I was trying to kill the motor. ( so I could have an excuse to go B16A ) So , just stay out of puddles and you should be safe!!!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
permanant damage, yes, A subaru friend of mine had a homemade intake (we made it) and basically injested some water, made 3 of the rods into J's and one of them went through the cylinder wall. my car, nothing as of yet, and some of these TX downpours, I doubt nothing will happen unless you drive like a jackass :)

·
70/30 Racing
2,372 Posts
Or you could just take apart the lower section of the intake, and connect the filter to the section in the engine bay. At least until it stops raining.

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
I live in rainy Florida also. I have had mine in severe rain with no problems. If you must go through a puddle just get a running start & shut the car off and coast. Should be fine.

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys! Thanks alot for the responses. I will keep all that stuff in mind. I just got my car running the way I want to. I would hate to ruin my motor! :mad: I am a very cautious driver. I should have no problems. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
No Prob, Rob!!!

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Hey Rob, best thing you can do is take the CAI off, and put it in my car, and I will guarantee you that you wont hydrolock your car :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts