SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
The new manifold looks great Zak. Way to pave the way for the rest of us! Kangaroo on the engine block eh? Think your engine might have been imported for australia? Once the ring situation gets figured out, slap dat bitch on the dyno and get us some numbaz!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Holy lord what a setup. HKS GT turbo, the best one for our motors, brand new
FMAX tubular manifold, divorced TIAL wastegate, 72-lb injectors, Quaife
diff, SMC BABK, Motivational suspension setup, all kinds of internal work...
what ELSE can you do to it? =)

What kind of output do you expect out of this setup? The major differences
between this setup and one like Jay's ex-car and Ryan Besterwich's car is
that you have the GT turbo and tubular manifold. How much power do you
expect with the same setup as Ryan had for his dyno run on the SE-R.net
page? He made 392hp at 20psi, C16, and H20 injection. Maybe 50 more hp? 80?
500 more?

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Ok basically to sum it up, you're the man. Now with that being said, I have some questions. I'm seriously considering boosting my se-r. Is the car a daily driver? How in the hell do you get traction? Anyhow I love the car, can't wait to see a dyno?

------------------
96 se-r with a few goodies

[This message has been edited by Matt4Nissan (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
I'm thinking more that that. That log didn't flow as good as a real manifold so who knows. maybe 550 or more. he's got the fuel for the fire.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Holy lord what a setup. HKS GT turbo, the best one for our motors, brand new
FMAX tubular manifold, divorced TIAL wastegate, 72-lb injectors, Quaife
diff, SMC BABK, Motivational suspension setup, all kinds of internal work...
what ELSE can you do to it? =)

What kind of output do you expect out of this setup? The major differences
between this setup and one like Jay's ex-car and Ryan Besterwich's car is
that you have the GT turbo and tubular manifold. How much power do you
expect with the same setup as Ryan had for his dyno run on the SE-R.net
page? He made 392hp at 20psi, C16, and H20 injection. Maybe 50 more hp? 80?
500 more?
</font>

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">what ELSE can you do to it? =)</font>
Man, if there's anything else, I don't want to know about it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What kind of output do you expect out of this setup?</font>
It's hard to say. I believe we can get over 400 HP out of it, possibly up to about 430. I don't believe we'll get much more out of it than that, because the turbo becomes inefficient after thereabouts. While the GT30/37 is a fantastic turbo, it's not the most powerful one out there... Shaggy has a bigger compressor wheel than I do and will always make more max HP than I will.

Where the GT really shines is efficiency. The efficiency island is huge for this turbo, and it's a good 10 points more efficient across the board than the standard T3/T04e. It's ball bearing on both the turbine side and the compressor side as well. My car starts making boost at about 3200 RPM and hits full boost by 3700, 3750 or so. It spools very quickly and is super responsive.

That combined with the efficiency work we did on my engine, i.e. the headwork, valve job, should yield pretty good results on the dyno. I'm hoping to do at least as well as Ryan's car did at 20 psi, hopefully a bit better. That's assuming the car is running correctly of course. The biggest difference between mine and Ryan's cars is that we may be able to run up to 18 psi on 91 octane pump gas in my car. That may also be a bit optimistic, but we should see some pretty high boost numbers on pump gas.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">is the car a daily driver? How in the hell do you get traction?</font>
yeah, it's my daily driver... and believe it or not, traction really isn't a problem as of right now. I'm only running at 10 psi, and I have some leaking going on that I'm trying to track down and fix in my engine bay. So it's not as fast as it should be really, and then I also have the Quaife LSD, which I believe honestly helps a lot. First gear is still kind of useless, but I just don't boost in 1st gear. In second gear I have very minimal traction problems, sometimes a little spin and some hunting around, but it's generally manageable.

The thing is that a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to drive turbo cars like this when they're not on boost. They feel just like a normal SE-R. I mean on my commute to work today, I only got into the boost twice, both times going uphill. It's as easy as putting your foot down a little bit to get into the boost any time you want it, but most times it's just not necessary.

As far as ultimate power, I think I'd need to get a bigger compressor wheel and a bigger turbine housing to get over 500 HP... I don't think it's possible with the way it's set up now.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
When you get a chance, Zak, I'd really like to see some more detailed pics of the area around the turbo. I'd like to see how it's bolted in there as well as the exhaust path around the tranny and under the car. Also what is that black box mounted on the driver's side strut tower? Water injection resevoir or something?

I'm liking your engine bay as my wallpaper

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks like a great install.

One quick question to help me with an issue I've been having on my turbo NX.

Where does the hose on the top of the wastegate run to?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Where does the hose on the top of the wastegate run to?</font>
Well as you can see in the last pic I posted, and this one below, I don't have any hoses out of the top of my wastegate. Just two hoses, one on either side of the wastegate. They go to the In and Out fittings on the boost controller box. Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Zak91SER (edited 08-29-2001).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
In the picture you posted above it looks as if there are two hoses running to/from the wastegate. One to the side which I assume is from the boost side of the system and one off the top near the Tial etching on the wastegate. It's the one on the top I'm interested in. I'm trying to get my Tial 35mm wastegate set-up properly, it has the same fittings. Thanks.

Also, is there a reason for not coating the exhaust manifold?

Thanks a bunch,

Matt

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Ok I almost hesitate to ask this question but.. How much would this turbo kit cost, I understand that the work that you had done is far more then just a kit. But what would it cost to get the turbo kit? I really like the idea of running a nice dual ball bearing turbo on my car, the less lag the better. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Hey Zak,

Where did you get that box for the battery? It looks like it fits the westco battery perfectly. Any idea where I could get the same thing?

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Porboy, I'm going to take more pics and I'll have a better answer for you tonight or tomorrow. Oh, and yes I didn't coat the manifold for a reason: Jhame at FMAX says the coating is "ugly". So I told him I wouldn't coat it for the USCC and the photo shoot. He loves that gold color it turns. I plan to get it coated at a later date, after everything else is taken care of.

Matt4Nissan, based on what I paid for the individual components and the kit itself, I would estimate that you'd pay in the range of $5-$6,000 for this kit. That may not be entirely accurate because I only paid for the manifold, piping and various connectors. I didn't pay FMAX for the turbo, intercooler, injectors, ECU, or fuel rail because I bought them separately. I paid $3000 just for the manifold, piping and the downpipe, and assorted tubes, hoses and connectors. I believe the manifold just by itself sells for $1500. Not cheap.

David, it does in fact fit the Westco perfectly, that's what it was made to do.
George Roffe had it made. You may want to shoot him an email and ask him about it... if he gets a couple requests, he may be inclined to get some more built. His email is [email protected]

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey please please please put it on a dyno or run it at the track want to know bad how fast it is!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts