SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I've owned my NX since 92
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to start getting the NX1600 ready for spring. Most of what I'm doing this winter is maintaining what's already there:
1. Replaced my seven year old KYB AGX's with new AGX's. (Bid on another suspension set-up, but then heard that I was bidding against another Canadian so I didn't keep going up.) The AGX's have worked well for me, but at least one was completely toast after 7 seasons on the track. I've trimmed the perch's at both ends.
2. GC coilovers are on the new AGX's, but I've upgraded the front springs to 400lbs and moved the 300lb set from the front to rear; 400F/300R versus previous 300F/200R. Corner-balancing and alignment will happen once the weather warms up. BTW - welcome racecartech to the forum. He'll be doing my alignment setup http://www.can-alignment.com
3. Removed the oil pan and checked the bottom end. Pristine!
4. Rebuilt my front calipers and my spare set of front calipers - both are AD22VF. New set of Carbotech XP10 going in shortly.
5. New brake fluid - Motul RBF600
6. New tranny fluid - Redline MT90 (thanks to SG Motorsport and the new online store for great service - http://store.sg-motorsport.com/ )
7. Obviously new oil - Mobil1 5w30.
8. I've got a set of Hankook Z211s to start the season off, but haven't finalized tires yet. I hope to have Katie running down one class from last year, so I need to be running treaded R-compounds versus the two groove tires I ran last season.
That's my update. What are you doing?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm waiting on OEM from the "other" forum for control arms.
Will be getting an alignment from can-alignment
I've got some AX6 front pads on the way
Have an ebay header to put on because my stock flexpipe is dying, might redo the rest of the exhaust too
Will be changing my tranny fluid with Mobil 1 synthetic Multi-vehicles ATF (yes, auto tranny)

Building a new sub box for a new sub and looking at putting my amps in a hidden location
Possibly some chassis bracing

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
I got my engine ready to install. I need to fix the threads on the subframe before I can install the engine, I'm hoping to get that all done this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I intend to build a cage into my Timex (240sx). I will still use it on lapping days, but my daughter is going to compete in Solosprint with it.

My other 240sx, is planned to be running in the Chumpcar race at Shannonville, then at Frank's MIR day.

of course Can-Alignment will set up both cars for the season.;)

·
VVL sucks in pedestrians
621 Posts
Well, I got a long list yet to be tackled (Hopefully will start by mid-March):

- bend and weld in 6pt roll bar (seamless 1.75" tubes are ready to go), still need to borrow bender from someone as I will be doing it myself
- Install B15 tranny (with 2,000km on it, looks brand new after giving it a wash)
- new tranny seals and fluid (mt-90 has been good to me last season so will do the same)
- Install Bits'n'pieces suspension - should be a dramatic improvement from my current agx/RM combo
- Install XP-10 (thanks Frank for the great GB)
- install StopTech rear pads (for rear maxima brakes)
- install stainless steel braided brake lines
- Still debating whether will leave the NX master or change to the spare Altima Brake Master brake cylinder
- Fresh fluid flush (motul600)
- 3" short ram intake fabrication and N60 MAF
- Reburn VE program with N60 MAF (still have to obtain the chip)
- Install 15x7" with brand new NT01s for the track
- Already checked VE compression (250psi +-2psi on all cylinders after last years 1200 track km, with oil temp staying between 250-260 deg F)
- Change oil with fresh GC (it protected the engine well at those oil temp, changed every 3rd track day or around 450km)
- Install Oil cooler (tired of high oil temp)
- Wash the winter salt away from the car and give it a "once a year" wax (yes I winter drive the beast on the streets)

Still considering:
- corner balancing - was quoted $500 which is way too steep for my budget, might look for a place that rent out corner scales and DIY

It should be a different car after I am done with it... Will try to post some pictures.
Thanks.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Well, I got a long list yet to be tackled (Hopefully will start by mid-March):

- bend and weld in 6pt roll bar (seamless 1.75" tubes are ready to go), still need to borrow bender from someone as I will be doing it myself
- Install B15 tranny (with 2,000km on it, looks brand new after giving it a wash)
- new tranny seals and fluid (mt-90 has been good to me last season so will do the same)
- Install Bits'n'pieces suspension - should be a dramatic improvement from my current agx/RM combo
- Install XP-10 (thanks Frank for the great GB)
- install StopTech rear pads (for rear maxima brakes)
- install stainless steel braided brake lines
- Still debating whether will leave the NX master or change to the spare Altima Brake Master brake cylinder
- Fresh fluid flush (motul600)
- 3" short ram intake fabrication and N60 MAF
- Reburn VE program with N60 MAF (still have to obtain the chip)
- Install 15x7" with brand new NT01s for the track
- Already checked VE compression (250psi +-2psi on all cylinders after last years 1200 track km, with oil temp staying between 250-260 deg F)
- Change oil with fresh GC (it protected the engine well at those oil temp, changed every 3rd track day or around 450km)
- Install Oil cooler (tired of high oil temp)
- Wash the winter salt away from the car and give it a "once a year" wax (yes I winder drive the beast on the streets)

Still considering:
- corner balancing - was quoted $500 which is way too steep for my budget, might look for a place that rent out corner scales and DIY

It should be a different car after I am done with it... Will try to post some pictures.
Thanks.
Sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't DIY scaling unless you really know what you're doing.

Don't forget some driving instruction so you don't get beat by this again :tongue:

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotta love the GA16! Mine has beaten more than a few 'sports' cars.

I've also added an SR20 throttle body and will be looking at relocating the battery. Tires haven't been finalized yet. Hankooks? Hoosiers? Two groove or treaded? So many choices! So much money!!!

Jeff, are you back in Ontario?

·
VVL sucks in pedestrians
621 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't DIY scaling unless you really know what you're doing.

Don't forget some driving instruction so you don't get beat by this again :tongue:

Thanks Jeff, I realize I have a lot of things to improve on, your Sentra was kicking major a$$ with those RA1's, which were much better than my 14" brittle azenis tires (and warped front rotors).
There is a simple formula to racing 70% driver + 30% car. I realize you and Frank are a excellent drivers that I would like to learn few things from so I hope to meet you on few tracks this upcoming season.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Jeff, are you back in Ontario?
Yeah, I got out of Vancouver while hotel rooms were 'only' $349 per night. The mild weather was nice but it was always cloudy!

I would like to learn few things from so I hope to meet you on few tracks this upcoming season.
I hope so too! lapping season will be here before we know it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Corner balancing, align 4 wheels, optimize roll center height. $350. I have been at that price for the last 2 years. I will be contiueing that price for this season.

Scott

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Woo Hoo it runs! That's the first time I've done an engine without anyone else laying a finger on the car through the whole process. Now to wait for the good weather and save for tires

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm in talks with having a Hankook Z214 Tire group buy - if you're interested send me a pm with the sizes you're interested in getting. I'll assume you want the C51 compound UNLESS you specify different. The Z214 is a two grove track only R-compound. When confirmed, it will be pick up only in Brampton.

·
No comment
1,096 Posts
Corner balancing, align 4 wheels, optimize roll center height. $350. I have been at that price for the last 2 years. I will be contiueing that price for this season.

Scott
Wow. Great price Scott. When you do the corner balancing, do you compensate for the weight of the driver? Is the person allowed to sit in the car while you do the work?

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
GA16DE - 107.6 seconds at Mosport
Cornerbalanced and aligned by Scott at Can-Alignment.
I don't think anything more needs to be said about Scott's skill. Not only is his price good, he's a great guy and his knowledge of car setup for any type of race or street environment is incredible. Tell him what you want, and he'll set it up better than you dreamed possible. Describe how/where you drive, ask him for suggestions, give him free reign and you'll be amazed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
GA16DE - 107.6 seconds at Mosport
Cornerbalanced and aligned by Scott at Can-Alignment.
I don't think anything more needs to be said about Scott's skill. Not only is his price good, he's a great guy and his knowledge of car setup for any type of race or street environment is incredible. Tell him what you want, and he'll set it up better than you dreamed possible. Describe how/where you drive, ask him for suggestions, give him free reign and you'll be amazed.
Thanks Frank,

I set up well into the 3 didgets of race/track cars every season. I can dial in a car to optimal in a reasonable time so I price accordingly. yes driver in car.

Thanks for the interest

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
This weekend I discovered that my girlfriend is a great stripper.........of bolt heads. Nice to have her help though. I also fixed the bodywork so it no longer looks like the front end of my racecar was run over by a dump truck. I think I found my next project:

Frank, you're a great guy, but I think I'm going to have to re-do your 'custom water temp gauge mount'

·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Frank, you're a great guy, but I think I'm going to have to re-do your 'custom water temp gauge mount'
LOL :rofl: I forgot about that. It'll take months to get the tape adhesive off! BTW, you need something like this.

I made a rad shroud out of aluminum - I'll cut out and try to install side panels this week, to direct all air through the rad. Next weekend it's relocating the battery, corner balancing and alignment. Jeff, post up some pics of the new look car!

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
I made a rad shroud out of aluminum
Good thing I didn't post a pic of your last rad shroud, that might get you banned from the forum! I already have an aluminum one similar to yours, it will be going on soon.

I still need to paint the left fender black:

·
Buying up every nx in ont
639 Posts
Good thing I didn't post a pic of your last rad shroud, that might get you banned from the forum! I already have an aluminum one similar to yours, it will be going on soon.

I still need to paint the left fender black:

More pictures please :p

·
"The Chubby Panda"
1,483 Posts
This past weekend I plated the e16i powahd 92' sentra classic with 51,000 original km's - busting around ontario with class.

The VE'd NX has been troublesome - stalling frequently when shifting out of gear and such - waiting for rob_96 to get home so I can get his iacv off him, hopefully will fix the problem. Took the ttops off this weekend in +10 weather - I love ontario you guys have no idea :D saskatchewan sucks!

FastNX, I know you used to have a VE, any idea/hookups where I can get my VE'd etested to 'ensure' it passes?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts