SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to get my car ready for the dyno next weeekend. I installed a used Profec B I bought a while back. The car was running just fine before.. I went ahead and did a pressure test before hooking up the Profec. So now.. the car falls flat on it's face when I hit about 7psi (any rpm). The wastegate (Tial 40mm) is set to .8bar (~10psi) and I had no problem running that boost before. The boost controller was turned off during all this. Has anyone ever experienced this? I checked my connections and everything is fine. I did disconnect the MAF for the pressure test.. but everything seems to be ok.. I'm going to uninstall the Profec tomorrow and see if it is the cause. Or if I mucked up something else while I was in there :D

Some updated pics..

Intake off for pressure test.

Everything back together.

Luis

·
Blown Up SER
1,089 Posts
is that lil air filter thing on right? on the line to the profec b?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
ive had that same problem before...i never did figure it out though. where did you get it from?

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I'd check to see if all the vacuum lines are connected correctly. Also, make sure the correct ports on the solenoid are used and the last one properly plugged. I've heard of boost leaks at the solenoid, and also of the solenoid going bad itself. But since it does it with the controller off, I'm guessing the vacuum lines are wrong or a leak.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
One thing I read time and time again is people forget to remove ALL the plugs from the Profec solenoid. I think there's 3 ports on it, you use two of them, and you have to remove the third one.

C

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My solenoid box only has two ports. In and Out. the In I have connected to a fitting on my compressor housing. And the Out I have going to the wastegate. I guess I'll try another pressure test. The line to the Profec controller box goes to the intake manifold.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chriscar said:
Are you sure there's only 2 ports Luis? According to pages 10 & 11 on http://www.greddy.com/tech/PROFEC_B_SPEC2.pdf, there's a common, a NO and a NC port. And step 1 on page 10 says to remove all the plastic plugs.

C

Chris, I got excited for a second when I saw that .pdf. I have the "OG" Profec B not the Spec II. A local guy has one like mine, so I might try swapping components and see if that helps. I'm pretty stumped.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Damn, too bad. I didn't know there were different B Spec II's. I have a used Spec II on the way to me via FedEx. Hopefully it's not too much of a bitch to set up.

C

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
The Spec II and OG Profec B use different solenoids. I have the original and it only has two ports, impossible to get it wrong. Luis, did you check the dip switches on the back of the controller? I don't think it would cause your issue but you never know.

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wes said:
The Spec II and OG Profec B use different solenoids. I have the original and it only has two ports, impossible to get it wrong. Luis, did you check the dip switches on the back of the controller? I don't think it would cause your issue but you never know.
I checked the dip switches and they are set correctly. I'm going to try another pressure test, since I did my first pressure test before the Profec install. Then I'll try removing the Profec. If that fixes the issue.. I'm gonna throw it out the window :( This thing will dyno crappy at 7psi.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Not to beat this to death, but is the wastegate control (actuator, or external) set properly?

C

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chriscar said:
Not to beat this to death, but is the wastegate control (actuator, or external) set properly?

C
It is ! :) I actually tried it both ways.. same result.

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wes said:
Someone else asked about the small in line filter, is that in or possibly leaking?
It's in, and not leaking. You can't really see it in the pictures. I don't know why the car falls flat on it's face. I figured it would just overboost or run rich (leak).

Luis

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
**update**
I took the car out for another test run tonight. Didn't have the problem! I am guessing it has to do with the MAF connector. I unplugged and re-plugged it in last night, but didn't get to do another run. And.. I turned on the Profec B.. and it works! This thing is a freaking monster at 12psi! I'm gonna redo the MAF wiring just in case and tomorrow I'll install the Innovate LM-1 and make sure everything is safe enough for the dyno. As far as the Profec goes.. I had to configure it for "internal" at the dip switches and I hooked the solenoid box up in between the compressor fitting and the side fitting on the wastegate. I couldn't get it to work with my Tial the "right" way (configured for external and using the bottom port on the wastegate). Whatever works..

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Luis said:
I couldn't get it to work with my Tial the "right" way (configured for external and using the bottom port on the wastegate). Whatever works..
Aren't you supposed to use the top port on the Tial when hooking up a boost controller?

EDIT: It's been a while so I went and dug up one of my own old posts. This was with a manual boost controller if that matters, http://www.sr20forum.com/showpost.php?p=1080555&postcount=12.

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
myprojectB13 said:
Aren't you supposed to use the top port on the Tial when hooking up a boost controller?

EDIT: It's been a while so I went and dug up one of my own old posts. This was with a manual boost controller if that matters, http://www.sr20forum.com/showpost.php?p=1080555&postcount=12.
Yep.. thats exactly how I had it configured the first time. But even with the Profec B turned off, I had no boost control whatsoever. It would just boost and boost, way past the spring pressure on the Tial. The previous owner of the Profec had it setup the same way, I guess I know why now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey you're boosting the crank case. Idk how you're hitting 12. Let it get 20 psi that's when it STARTS to come alive. And quit leaving tools in the spark valley dickhead!!! Anyone here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts