SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
You're my boy blu!!!!
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that i am in the airforce there are some benefits. I wil be leaving on a trip for a awhile to japan. So while all you guys are dreaming about jdm, i will be looking at it and hopefully test driving it(i hope my international license is still valid...............oh it is.)Anyway does anybody have a wish list for their cars. Remeber i have a limit on weight!:p :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, Since we are at war now, You guys get free mail don't you? So get ahold of a Fairlady, take it apart, and send it to me piece by piece!

Anyways, Take care man. Be safe.

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
which airforce base in japan? I have a friend in masawa (sp?).

-saaby

·
You're my boy blu!!!!
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Saaby said:
which airforce base in japan? I have a friend in masawa (sp?).

-saaby
Yakota, Right outside takahara, about 40mins from downtown tokyo.Second time going there. The people are real friendly and the tuner shops are sick. Its kind a funny because alot of the shops you see will specialize in certain cars and that is the only cars they work on. Last time i went i shopped at a place call Autobacs. They carried everything, exhaust, rims, carstereo, turbos,etc,etc. Pretty sick.

G

·
What's up camo? I'm going to Japan too because of work (I'm a Turbine Design Engineer). I'll be leaving in a couple months and will be staying for two years. What you said sounds interesting about the tuner shops and stuff, you have any more info?

I take it you've been there before? I'll be in Hitachi City in Ibaraki, like 1 hr. NE of Tokyo. I'm interested too in the rules regarding what you ARE and AREN'T allowed to bring back with you through customs.

Dreaming of bringing a R32 GTR with me when I come back (sigh)... Oh yeah, realistically, speaking of Int'l Licenses, where can I get one? And do they honor the US License at all, even temporarily? If you don't wanna reply all here, pls email me at [email protected], let me know what's up in Japan. Later.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
this reminds me of my Okinawa, Japan days.
I had a Mazda 323 Turbo overseas. I still have pics too but I need a scanner. :( i also drove alot of turbo Starlets and RX7s!!!!
WOOHOOO!!!! HOLD TIGHT!!!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Im in the AF too and will be leaving in the first part of Dec. Im going to Spain for 30-40 days. How long are you planning on being out? I have never been to Yakota. Only Kadena once. And that was just over night.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Man how in the hell do I get a job that would send me to Japan for 2 years?? (besides military :D ) Anyhow you could make some good money hitting the junkyards and sending parts back. There were a couple of guys on Teamnismo.com when it had a BB.

Oh and SmoothDaddyFig you have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much free time bro.. :D :D

·
You're my boy blu!!!!
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
SeRKid said:
What's up camo? I'm going to Japan too because of work (I'm a Turbine Design Engineer). I'll be leaving in a couple months and will be staying for two years. What you said sounds interesting about the tuner shops and stuff, you have any more info?

I take it you've been there before? I'll be in Hitachi City in Ibaraki, like 1 hr. NE of Tokyo. I'm interested too in the rules regarding what you ARE and AREN'T allowed to bring back with you through customs.

Dreaming of bringing a R32 GTR with me when I come back (sigh)... Oh yeah, realistically, speaking of Int'l Licenses, where can I get one? And do they honor the US License at all, even temporarily? If you don't wanna reply all here, pls email me at [email protected], let me know what's up in Japan. Later.
As far as i know bringing a car back is easy if your in the military. As long as you were stationed their for any amount of time, Their is a loop hole in importing cars (military wise) this isn't verbatim, but i think the rule states that the car can't be sold when you get back stateside, and it can only be kept for a limited time, but the time is not stated. Far as parts their is no limitation on parts. In fact a friend of mine just imported his legacy b4(twin turbo flat four in a legacy, one sick car). Your aloted so much weight when going overseas for short assignments, and if you make a couple deals with the crew your flying with sr20det wouldn't be that hard to bring back.(No customs to deal with):D :D

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Hey, how about we all create personal inside accounts with you ahead of time, paying you a sum before you leave so you can buy all these parts and bring them back here for us "for free" like you are keeping them for yourself, and then sending them to us like you are giving them as gifts :D

G

·
Camo and whoever else wants to answer (not AK):

We'll I'm not in the military but work for a large Japanese corporation that's sending me there for work and training. So the military privileges don't apply to me. Anyways, thanx for the info on importing a car.

Are you alluding to the law that allows one to register a car OUTSIDE of the US for a year and import it into the US for a period of one year without selling it? I hear that's possible without federalizing the car. Or is there another military-only policy I'm unaware of?

Secondly, how did you get your international license? I'd like to try driving in Japan by renting a car at one point, and wanna know how to go about it. Thought you might have an idea. Thanx!

SeRKid

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
GET LOTS OF INTERCOOLERS!!!!! AHHH...hehe...just get a few SR20VETT's and bring 'em over here for us man...are you willing to get more stuff? OR what??? And bring it back to us of course....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts