SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got an NX2k... i think the seal on my drivers door by the roof may be cracked.... ripped... or... yeah.

any recomendations on repairing replacing the leaking rubber...

( i hope thats all it is)

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok, hey mate, i currently drive the second nx2000 i have owned and you have nothing to worry about. it seems this is normal for the cars, both of mine had the same problem, i thought somehting was wrong but i had it checked out and it is just the way they are made....i know its unfortunate, i think it is just the way the channels in the rubber work.,....if you still think there is a prob get it checked out, but i am telling you its normal....i had a t-shirt over my right arm (i am from aus, right hand drive) one day cos it wouldnt stop dripping on my arm, but it has been raining heavely here for a couple of days now and it has only dripped a couple of times, personally unless it is pouring in i wouldnt worry too much....anyway, hope this helps u....later

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone recomended sylicon, which seems reasonable, i think i might try that

·
Registered
493 Posts
mine leaks to. worse since I got the car painted (I think removing the rubber made it line up worse now). It does nto leak a whole ton except when I am washing the car. The pressure forces more water in. I bet getting replacement rubber would cost a ton. I never bothered to look into it.

·
A bit of everything
474 Posts
Mine used to leak as well. I also had air coming in and you could hear it quite loudly on the highway.

There is a small metal ledge under the rubber. If while sitting inside the vehicle you can squeeze the rubber, sorta pinch it together you will feel it. I tucked the edge of the rubber under this ledge, and it seems to make a better seal now by causiing the rubber to push out and expand.

I havn't noticed any leaking or wind coming in as a result.

Try it yourself and see if it works.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Try cleaning the rubber off really well with some cleaner and then use a quality rubber preservative like Meguirs or something. People have used silicone too I've heard. When my tops start leaking I do the technique and they are fine for a few months. When the leak again I repeat the treatment.

EDIT:

I forgot to add that if you close the windows with the doors open it seems to help a lot.

·
Registered
372 Posts
it cost like $500 to replace. sumthin like that. try to tighten the seal with the window. that helps for mine. i just open the window and close it again in case the rubber got pinned down

·
8,148 Posts
Stretch the rubber by hand. Then use some protectant on them. Also make sure the handle for the T Top is fully parked. it will stretch back the seal a little more.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
FYI my seals don't leak a drop.. not all cars do it, its when the rubber gets old/non-rubbery....
Keep it upkept....

As for what to do once it start leaking, I dunno... never found a good solution in my other NX'n

1 - 9 of 9 Posts